Non-aviation, supplemental second jobs for airline pilots

Can't you just use a Trebuchet or...

<iframe width="514" height="913" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What is that? I swear, you're the most industrist JC member. I've had some great experiences with Lyft/Uber and will say they serve a very important service. If nothing else, the cab companies have had to greatly clean up their act. No idea what drop shipping is, though?

People appreciate being able to drive assertively to get them where they are going as safely and efficiently as possible. So for the right kind of person, it can actually be fun and a bit satisfying in those moments. Several times, a cool passenger or group of passengers ended up hanging out with me and we'd go do something, sometimes all night then I'd just drive home. Since you can just turn off the app and now you're not at work anymore, you can always do something like that if you get the chance. Can never have enough good stories, and most easy side gigs won't give you any.

My interest is piqued. Give us some deets!

Basically, it's just online hustling, and it's legal beyond having the potential to get "your" IP banned from websites. There are various ways to do it, you can start an actual store or just sell items online one at a time. The popular thing to do is to make a wholesale deal with some dealer in China (it's like meeting people in a virtual alleyway in the Red Light District) and start selling their probably crappy knock-off products for way cheaper than you can get in the US, and then the person buys the item from you, you buy the item from your Chinese cohort, and they ship it. You pocket the profit, but now returns are an international ordeal and China isn't really efficient at the moment with shipping also. So a better way is to find products that are in high demand and find ways to get them consistently for a price cheaper than you can sell them for. What items and how you sell them, seeing as this violates the terms of use for almost every sale platform online, is what you have to figure out. I've been doing well with Jordans, sometimes a pair sells for $150 or something and people who don't know better sell them on Facebook or Craigslist for half that. Electronics net the most money, but the more fragile the item, the more someone paid, and the more the buyer needs it rather than wants it all factor in to create huge headaches for you anytime something goes wrong or takes forever.

Grabbing the item locally in person with cash and shipping it out isn't technically drop shipping, but sending out actual items regularly from your local post office with your name and address on them can do wonders for cloaking your user agreement terms violating ass.

highresrollsafe.jpg

Just keep in mind most big online resale sites will make you pay taxes past just several hundred in profit each year, and those that don't show up on your taxes like Craigslist and Facebook usually take way longer to sell and are full of people not wanting to pay retail prices to begin with.

Last edited:
I decided to pursue the IRS Enrolled Agent designation.

got my EA number a year after the pandemic started (was part of the whole what do I do if my airline liquidates) and while any joe can do tax preparation, being an EA allows me to advocate for the taxpayer in cases involving the IRS when the IRS comes after you.
working my first tax season this year and I find it’s like being a teacher explaining why my clients owe taxes and working on how to get the withholding correct so that they don’t owe when it comes to tax time next year.

Lawyers and accountants can do the same thing I do but I didn’t have to get a JD or CPA after my name but I can work in all 50 states because it’s a federal designation like a pilot certificate whereas lawyers and accountants have to obtain state certification for each state they want to practice.

my plan is to ramp up the EA side hustle and wind down the flying part over the next 10 years so by the time I want to leave flying i still have an income source without flying and there’s always taxes. And while TurboTax serves just fine for most people. I can deal with the issues TurboTax can’t / won’t deal with.

I decided to pursue the IRS Enrolled Agent designation.

got my EA number a year after the pandemic started (was part of the whole what do I do if my airline liquidates) and while any joe can do tax preparation, being an EA allows me to advocate for the taxpayer in cases involving the IRS when the IRS comes after you.
working my first tax season this year and I find it’s like being a teacher explaining why my clients owe taxes and working on how to get the withholding correct so that they don’t owe when it comes to tax time next year.

Lawyers and accountants can do the same thing I do but I didn’t have to get a JD or CPA after my name but I can work in all 50 states because it’s a federal designation like a pilot certificate whereas lawyers and accountants have to obtain state certification for each state they want to practice.

my plan is to ramp up the EA side hustle and wind down the flying part over the next 10 years so by the time I want to leave flying i still have an income source without flying and there’s always taxes. And while TurboTax serves just fine for most people. I can deal with the issues TurboTax can’t / won’t deal with.

You have to put out some contact info now. There has to be at least one JCer that needs professional assistance with their taxes.

...or you could spend your energy and whatever native intelligence with which you're gifted pounding the pavement and getting in to an aviation-appliance-operation job which is remunerative enough for you to do well enough without needing to side-hustle. It's like DIY home repair. I used to do it, and it was instructive and interesting, but the truth is I'm not very good at it, certainly not as good as someone who does it for a living. And I can just pick up a trip or two and pay someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing, now. Everyone wins.
Makes perfect sense. Econ 101. Division of labor and such.

However, when my Over-Cogitative Disorder startles me awake at 02:30, I occasionally fret over the practical advantages of specialization in winning the Squid Game.

Back