Networking Tips

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
1. Get some business cards. Do this now. I suggest keeping them very simple so you don't have to throw them away all the darned time when you update them. Name, number, professional email address AND domain. If you have me a business card with "sk8_0r_die@aol.com" I'm going to laugh my ass off.

2. Introductions. Introduce yourself to absolutely everyone -- you don't know who that person is, what their connections are, and who is watching you interact. Yeah you're shy, blah blah blah, so put on your big-boy pants and fake it for a few hours. This is especially big this year at NJC because there are a few people I'm coordinating with to attend the networking event that can certainly make your career. But I'm not telling any of you guys who they are. YOU have to find them. They're coming to a 'networking event' and it's not a job fair so get off your asses and make sure you've met everyone in the room. Plus, if they can't make it for one reason or another, well, I don't have to deal with people crying like Apple just ran out of iPhones. There are, at most, two degrees of separation between yourself and your career goals.

2a. I can't stress this enough. Re-read the above paragraph.

3. Don't under-estimate your value. You may be going to a networking function to seek help moving ahead in your profession, but there is probably someone there than will greatly benefit from what you have to offer.

4. Always follow up. Always always always. Just because you gave a chief pilot or recruiter your business card does not mean that you're 'in like Flynn' and your work is done. It's just begun. Never underestimate the value of a 'follow up' coffee or beer a few weeks later.

5. Be yourself. Self explanatory. If you're a cut up, be a cut up. If you're a nerd, be a nerd, because when you're yourself, you're being genuine. Fake is obvious. If you're a dick, well, the world needs ditch diggers too. Professional aviation is a field where everyone under the sun has a Commercial Multi-Engine Instrument, perhaps an ATP, etc so companies, chief pilots and recruiters are looking for personalities. You can be Chuck Yeager, but if people want to strangle you in the first five minutes of speaking to you, again, the world needs ditch diggers too! :)

6. Make the connections BEFORE you need them. I don't know how many times I've heard "Well, I need about 50 more hours of whatever and then I'll start networking" or the "I need a job"/"Ok, do you have a name? Who are you?" exchange. Always talk about your goals, yes, however learn the subtle nuance between "driven to achieve" and "desperation". If GlobalAirlines is opening up a hiring window tomorrow, you should have been making contact with people months ago. The day the hiring window opens, every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to be hitting up your contact on that day. Already have that contact made and make sure you interests are crystal clear well before the announcement about the window opening. This is important

7. Work on your 'elevator pitch'. More or less an 'elevator pitch' is being able to sell yourself or an idea to someone, at the drop of a hat, in the time it takes for the elevator doors to close, go up a few floors and open again. "Who are you? What do you want? Where do you want to work and WHY do you want to work there?" Figure out the answers to those questions and practice it. Be able to do this cold. If you tell me you want to work for SouthernJets one day, but you don't know the bases, the fleet or even that it's "SouthernJets" and not "Southern Jets", I think you're just spitballing for any opportunity.

8. "Re-Introduce". You meet Mark that works at "Global Airlines", but then you meet Frank that works at "Medium Sized National", if you introduce them to one another, you've scored massive points with both Frank and Mark... and if they're in a position to help you, you've just set yourself apart in a positive light.

9. Ask questions. Dead air is awkward for everyone.

That's all I can think of.

Good luck.

Great points.

To it I add (all based on things I have heard personally from members here):

Listen. Don't be so anxious to sell yourself that you don't ask for them to tell their story and hear what they have to say. There will be some folks attending who have years of experience, are nearing the end of their careers in aviation and would serve as great mentors if you would listen and ask.

Don't come with a predetermined mindset. You never know what might present itself and if your response is that you only want to fly wide bodies overseas for XXX, then you may miss out on an opportunity.

And don't dismiss people who are not in the industry; you never know who they know. Be nice to everyone! For example, one may meet someone who is in HR who has no connection to the industry. Except you might not know that this person is well connected in HR and knows all the right people in your industry.

Don't get drunk--not at the event if you are looking to network.

Great points.

To it I add (all based on things I have heard personally from members here):

Listen. Don't be so anxious to sell yourself that you don't ask for them to tell their story and hear what they have to say. There will be some folks attending who have years of experience, are nearing the end of their careers in aviation and would serve as great mentors if you would listen and ask.

Don't come with a predetermined mindset. You never know what might present itself and if your response is that you only want to fly wide bodies overseas for XXX, then you may miss out on an opportunity.

And don't dismiss people who are not in the industry; you never know who they know. Be nice to everyone! For example, one may meet someone who is in HR who has no connection to the industry. Except you might not know that this person is well connected in HR and knows all the right people in your industry.

Don't get drunk--not at the event if you are looking to network.
Your last statement is HUGE!

In all earnestness, I would second the idea that one ought to listen. Probably in all situations, but most emphatically in situations where you're talking to someone you want to impress. And not like listen because I told you to in order to impress someone...really listen. Whatever you think you know about flying...you actually know way, way less than that (this applies to me, too, not that you'd know it from my JC contributions). However tough a guy you might think you are, however experienced (or in-) you might be, there's somebody out there who can teach you something, and quite often they're standing next to or in front of you.

Besides, regardless of the potential career-benefit or whatever, I enjoy other people's stories and ideas more than I enjoy my own. I've already heard mine.

Flat out drunk will be bad, but "festive" should be fine at this event.

The people that come and that have been "lobbied" to attend know how we roll.

Flat out drunk will be bad, but "festive" should be fine at this event.

The people that come and that have been "lobbied" to attend know how we roll.

I'm getting very mixed signals between 'be professional' and 'jello shots'. I guess I'm going to have to wing it!

Wish I could come to this little shindig, if not for at least all of the story telling. But, while I am making the moves necessary to begin a professional aviation career, at a stunning 49.5 hours and no active medical, I think I would seriously be wasting peoples' time at this point. I think I would expect a distant pat on the back and a hearty, "Come back after you've spent $40K on some ratings and have more hours in the air than I have picking my nose."

Wish I could come to this little shindig, if not for at least all of the story telling. But, while I am making the moves necessary to begin a professional aviation career, at a stunning 49.5 hours and no active medical, I think I would seriously be wasting peoples' time at this point. I think I would expect a distant pat on the back and a hearty, "Come back after you've spent $40K on some ratings and have more hours in the air than I have picking my nose."
I'll tell you from experience that I was in your same shoes, except for the medical part, several years ago. It was my first and only NJC and the people I met there helped me get the job I have today. As it was stated above, it does not matter if you have 5,000 hours or 5 hours, it helps to build the foundations for meaningful relationships today. I hope you reconsider and go. If you need help in going feel free to pm me and we can work something out.

Make the contacts before you need them.

When there is a rumor of Delta hiring, my email inbox swells and my phone rings off the hook almost 24/7.

But the names that I'm willing to fly to ATL on my day off to submit in person have been on my list for months, if not years in advance... Many of the weren't even 100% qualified at the time I made that decision because I'm looking at drive, dedication and personality.

I had a good conversation with a friend who is in another field over the weekend. There are opportunities everywhere but by the time it goes public, it's too late, same thing in the airline business. Like one of the guys involved with the JBLU interview process is a long-time personal friend and you want to establish contact with a guy like this well in advance because when the process officially (publicly) opens, a bunch of guys have already gone through the process by the time you hear about it, and if you wait, well, you're in a long, non-descript mass of humanity.

Hell I interviewed with American in 1997 months before the interview window opened simply because I knew certain people.

Sent from my TRS-80

Oh, I know, Derg, and all of your points were very well taken. Really, that was just a pity party for myself that I'm not where I want to be right now :) I've actually already started networking, and have a few good arrows in my quiver already.

I'd like to have gone this year, but that will be the weekend before a pretty major website launch for me, so I need to stick around town. As soon as I hear about the next NJC, I'll be wrapping some vacation time around it (if I haven't already quit my current job and started full time training).

I'll tell you from experience that I was in your same shoes, except for the medical part, several years ago. It was my first and only NJC and the people I met there helped me get the job I have today. As it was stated above, it does not matter if you have 5,000 hours or 5 hours, it helps to build the foundations for meaningful relationships today. I hope you reconsider and go. If you need help in going feel free to pm me and we can work something out.
In addition...This event is in Vegas, and its a good time. That is unless youve all gotten grandpa on me since the last one I attended.

Let me give you an example of why you're wrong.

Back in like...2006 or 2007, amorris311, a complete asshat, found out I was living in southern California working at a freight company, gave me a call and said, "Hey, we should get together, let me buy you dinner." Honestly, I don't even know what ratings he had at that point. So we go out, have some burgers, have some beers, BS about airplanes and have a great time. We probably got together a few times before I left Burbank, and realize this kid is an awesome guy.

My point? At the time, I was "ahead of the game" when compared Andrew. Now? He's the captain, not me. Where HE was the one that wanted to get info about where I was working and try to get ahead, now it's going to be ME calling HIM saying, "Hey dude, can ya help a brother out?"

You NEVER KNOW how your connections will work out, but you NEED TO MAKE THEM RIGHT NOW.

jtrain609: Oh, I only know all too well, believe me. Like I mentioned in a following post, I intended to be more "pity party" than anything else. Pity that I am in a cube right now at 0 AGL and 0 IAS as opposed to one at FL380 and 0.78 :) And pity that I can't because of said cubicle job obligations.

Sorry I made a butt of myself. But, I have started networking. Anyway, sorry to have derailed the thread. Trust me... I believe wholeheartedly in the power of the network. While I don't love my job right now, I definitely would not be where I am today without a solid network in the IT world.

You have to go if you can! Network, Network, Network! Can't stress that enough! I'm not even a professional pilot yet and got a recommendation for my current job. When things at Comair started it's spiral to extinction in ernest, Derg didn't hesitate to put in a recommendation for me at Southernjets. I would and will gladly return the favor for any JC member that I've met or know when in a position to do so.

Back