Multi flight school???

My wife and I visited Accelerated and Pan Am flight school in AZ two weeks ago. I have decided to attend Accelerated starting in April. I like their all-multi time approach. Also, why pay $20,000 extra to have someone hold your hand while learing ground school? Three or four hours a day at the local library with proper materials will do just fine.

Also, the $5 an hour flight instructor rate doesn't bother me at all. I will be gaining valuable muli-time. Its worth it. I will just live on the money that was going to pay the high cost of other programs.

Just my two cents worth.

First of all, I would like to address some of the comments towards Accelerated. It looks to me like the one who bitches and moans is the jealous one who, in all fairness, will probably never see the right seat of a jet aircraft, or for that matter, never work for an airline (if I can help it). Attitude is the name of the game, my friends. I'm going on 2 years flying commercially and it's like every other job...it has its ups and down, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Nothing like climbing out at 5000 fpm or screaming across the ground at 600mph! Like Monica and myself, we are living the dream and how you get there is your choice.

I spent over 50k for my training before I found out about Accelerated. Without a doubt I would have chosen Accelerated. I would only be in debt maybe 20k instead of 50k...and for the same quality of instruction. I have met some of the instructors and they are great people with very positive attitudes. They are very cheerful in all respects and I believe that rubs off on their students.

I give credit to Accelerated about the accident that happened with the gear. At least they solved the problem. Look around and see how many other flight schools gear up planes over and over...I think it will surprise you.

Looking at the comments, I don't see where Accelerated is trying to deceive anybody. I know Monica and she is a straight shooter...whether you like it or not. As far as Inspector's comment on paying peanuts you get monkeys. Well...I've seen instructors get paid big bucks who were real idiots. I know the instructors at Accelerated are there because they have the love for flying and teaching and not for the money. That tells me a lot right there and I would write a letter of recommendation for any one of them.

The way I see it is very simple...you listen to someone like this Inspector or you talk to somebody who is actually flying the line. For those who are planning on making a career as an airline pilot, please feel free to contact me anytime and I will be more than happy to talk with you.

thanks flynhi- i realized i answered my own question after i wrote that. from what i've heard, accelerated sounds like a great palce to be. if you read the other threads about all the other flight schools on this website, you'll find that there are many people who nit-pick every little detail about a school. let's face it, every school listed on this website can train you to be a professional pilot whether it be for the airlines or corporate. it you got the dime, you got the time. it's like that everywhere. all schools claim to really "care" about their students. which i'm sure most of them do. but, i can tell you that couldn't care less if you don't have the $. For me, i think accelerated is the best choice. i plan on attending sometime within the next year hopefully. i graduate fom college this year and i'm going to start working on finances. i have an apartment guide for the chandler, scottsdale, tempe, mesa, etc. areas but the prices are outrageous. heck, the most expensive part will probably be living expenses when your coming from so far away. jsut my $.02

oh yeah, about that "pay peanuts you get monkeys" comment- if you pay in peanuts, wouldn't you get elephants?

No, if you pay peanuts, you get instructors that live off PB&J sandwiches
smile.gif

Couldn't resist that one, but I'll tell you how they taste in a few months
wink.gif

I did a few ratings with them about 6 months ago before 9-11. I plan to start again in March for my Commercial. I had a good experience! I learned things about flying that were overlooked by previous instructors during my private at another school. Needless to say bad habits are hard to break but the 2 instructors I had down at Accelerated were patient and helped get me on track with standards, procedures and the PTS. I paid my instructors $15 hr for ground-The school did not take any portion of that money. I would say that when all was done my instructors made around $10-$13hr while training me. I know Riddle starts their instructors out at around $10hr. really not much different. I don't think anyone will retire from this income. I was more than happy during my instrument training. I took the owners advice and when taking the writtens I took the IGI, FII and the IRA. I have to take the FOI and then go down to FSDO submit my paper work to become an instrument ground instructor. All three of the above mentioned exams come from the same test bank of questions. I am glad I did it this way and now almost all the exams are out of the way for this rating through instructor. I like the school and their philosophy. Just my .02 cents

There are some free services to post to. I use imagestation.com. Yahoo.com even has a hosting service that is free. Hope that helps.

Well,

in case there are any people out there who are interested, I just did some multi-training at Accelerated over the past four days, and the school was head & shoulders above the school where I received my private. I'm going back for my IFR rating at the end of March.
The pictures that are posted made the planes look like they were much older than they really are. I can tell you that I flew in three different Apaches, and all were well maintained and I wasn't worried for a minute about any maintenance issues. By the way, they have a couple of mechanics who maintain the planes full-time, which is much more than I can say about my previous FBO.

Thanks for the post Astin.

I'm thinking of going to accelerated later this spring to work on my multi rating. Were they able to devote an instructor to you full time for the four days you were there? How many hours a day did you fly?

Thanks.

GP,

I had one instructor the entire time. He was available pretty much whenever I wanted. He had two other students while I was there, but it was really easy to work around. I received ~12 hours in four days. That includes two cancellations because of high-winds (which they say is very rare there). Without the cancellations, I would have had at least another 4 to six hours.

Astin, nice to see that you had a very good experience with Accelerated. It's great that Pictureboy is taking the photos and not "meaning to pry into people's personal lives"...he'll make a so-so private investigator someday since he won't be flying for an airline like yourself! Great job Astin!!

IonBurst,

I stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel. They are on the corner of I-10 and West Chandler Blvd. You can get pretty good deals from them on the internet. It's about a 5 minute drive to the airport (if that).
Chandler was very similar to Phoenix...just a large suburb area.
No, I didn't meet Monica or Stew. Monica was there the first day I was there, but I was running late, and didn't have time to go over to her office and meet her (it's on the other side of the airpark in one of their hangars).

I am very familiar with Acclereated. They operate a small fleet of Apaches out of Stellar Airpark in Chandler. I would not reccomend them for the following reasons:

1.) They don't pay their instructors. The instructors work for a nominal fee of $5 per flight hour. They used to work for free. This is extremely unprofessional, and undercuts instructors who make an honest living. Not to mention you get what you pay for. Do you expect an instructor to take your training seriously when they are doing it for free just to get multi time?

2.) The owner of Accelerated has been known to be somewhat shady. He'll blow sunshine about his industry contacts which is (maybe) half true. He used to be a DE, but the FAA yanked his designation for deliberately falsifying paperwork for his students. At one time, his mechanic was one of his instructors who was also an A&P trying to keep 3 multi-engine aircraft running while on a part time basis.... Ask any flight school mechanic how feasible that is.

No offense to anyone who taught there or is teaching there, don't flame me, but I think you'll find most people around the chandler area will agree.

FlightJock, I'm not going to argue with you...I was just posting my experience w/ Accelerated so far. So far, it has been great. I will post more as I go.
As far as instructors pay goes, they make $5 per hour for "flight" instruction. They make $15/hour for "ground" instruction.
I flew 12 hours, and had 5 hours of ground instruction. If you calculate the amount my instructor made (using only flight time), it comes to $11/hour. Just wanted to correct what you said re. instructor pay. To say they are undercutting the industry kind of makes me laugh.
crazy.gif

Also, re. the chief mechanic, I was told that Stew brought him over from America West, where they both used to work.
I don't know about the rest of what you said, but I'm not sure how it applies to the current instructors. It sounds like you had a bad experience. Sorry about that.

First, FlightJock30 did not write this post. This post is copywrited material and thus stolen from another website and taken out of context. I know the Instructor who wrote this post and would love to tell you about the school where he taught. However, out of professionalism I do not believe in disparagement. This post was clearly written with the intention to defame by inaccurate information. I know the facts Accelerated because I am a student with them. I can attest for the maintenance, mechanics, flight instruction, honesty, # of planes and overall quality of their program. Out of all the students I hear complaining about flight schools I can truly say I love mine and have no regrets with a dime I have spent with them.

Back