Moving on

Our first day of recurrent ground is basically “iPad for old people.”

I cannot even imagine. I tried to help my dad—who has a PhD in a science and was a professor for 40+ years—get Venmo on his iPhone. “Do you have the app?” “I think so, how do I find it? What color is it?” “Search for it” “how do I search for it?” After 10mins of cursing at his phone he gave up, “I would much rather just mail checks!!”

I cannot even imagine. I tried to help my dad—who has a PhD in a science and was a professor for 40+ years—get Venmo on his iPhone. “Do you have the app?” “I think so, how do I find it? What color is it?” “Search for it” “how do I search for it?” After 10mins of cursing at his phone he gave up, “I would much rather just mail checks!!”
Venmo is the actual worst tho. Why did it need a social feed? Logging in and seeing one of old nurses paying his ex-wife for dog care is just bizarre

Venmo is the actual worst tho. Why did it need a social feed? Logging in and seeing one of old nurses paying his ex-wife for dog care is just bizarre

Its so weird, this guy I’m not really even friends with but got money from at some point always is paying/getting paid by his friends for “butt stuff” and eggplant emojis. I think/hope it’s fantasy football trash talking.

With the amount of time I spend in hotels, in our hot tub, or on the can while playing on my phone, my biggest fear is that every app seems to have the video call option now.

“hey, let me call you on Instagram” said no one ever.

With the amount of time I spend in hotels, in our hot tub, or on the can while playing on my phone, my biggest fear is that every app seems to have the video call option now.

I do no accept wif calls over FB or Insta. Because generally its been my experience that people who are calling you on wfi are broke asses. Their phone is turned off and they're unemployed. Nope!

Or pilots overseas without t-mobile

This is true. But no pilots calls me from overseas. So I was talking about from my limited scope of experience. In my case its been broke ass family members, friends or associates, wanting to "talk."

"Naw you can't stay at my place till you get back on your feet. Or no I'm not lending you money."

I sent in my deposit on 9/7/0.

Having said that, the school was really well run and I'm glad I went there.
I as well… only have good things to say about the place. Enjoyed being a student and employee there.
Awesome! I definitely wanted to go there back in the day. And now that both of you mention it, I never heard anything negative about them, like every other flight school in FL.

Why did they close? Vero Beach was a huge hub of flight training in the 90's-2000's.
Looks like they had accreditation issues. Purchased by a British company Last year. It’s now called skyborne academy.

Why did they close? Vero Beach was a huge hub of flight training in the 90's-2000's.

Wow...I actually hadn't realized that they had closed. I don't have any inside knowledge and haven't been there or talked to anyone there since probably 2005. From afar I could see they struggled a little in the newer environment especially vs the ALL ATP style. When I went through FSI there wasn't an airline job waiting for anyone on the other end. They marketed themselves more as a really good flight school with an airline style approach to standards. They didn't sell themselves as the fastest or cheapest but the most consistent (I'd say). Once airlines started hiring I could see the appeal of the ALL ATP style. Just get through as fast as possible, a ticket is a ticket and hours are hours. At that point it looked like FSA transitioned to more foreign students. They had the facilities (housing/cafeteria etc) and the structure needed in their curriculum. Sounds like Covid put the nail in the coffin as the foreign students went home.

Greetings fellow JC members,

I do not post much here, however I feel the need for some insight. Was just recently invited for a class date with AA. I’ve been at OO for ten years now, mid seniority, and a new LCA. I’m very excited about this opportunity. That being said however, its very bittersweet.

I have got into a major comfort zone on the E175, and with this lifestyle here. Anyone on here that has moved on after being at their regional for awhile especially as a mid seniority captain, or is about to move on, what are your thoughts for someone like me who kind of feels guilty about moving on?

I say guilty because regionals are scrambling for pilots, and especially LCAs.

I just recently got on at AA after 8 years at C5. I “felt bad” initially too, still apprehensive of completing training because of years of “regional abuse”. Went from 22 out of 650-ish to 14680 out of 14790 or something like that.

But really, other than typical new job fears everyone has, I do not regret my decision, even though a TA is out now at C5 that would have put me where I should have been and wanted to be money-wise years ago. But I never to be at my regional as long as I was and have always wanted to be at least a major airline pilot, never thought I’d even make it to a legacy carrier. I’m still beside myself to see AA on my stuff, especially my first paycheck!

Congrats, enjoy it and don’t look back. I got into this business to fly at least a narrow body around the US, I’ve finally gotten to that point (well, once through training and probation I guess!)

Thanks Max Power, and am sure that you will do great at AA!

Appreciated reading that. I was Also feeling a little apprehensive with what is going on with Russia vs Ukraine, and how that may affect the price of oil, as well as the legacy airlines bottom line. I personally know pilots that had class dates with AA just after 9/11, and then there was the 2008 economic recession, and of course Covid 19 too.

Hoping that with the amount of hiring, and retirements at AA, that if we are facing yet another downturn in our industry that we still have a job with AA, but of course no one really knows.

I was Also feeling a little apprehensive with what is going on with Russia vs Ukraine, and how that may affect the price of oil, as well as the legacy airlines bottom line.

All the more reason to get on at the majors while they're still hiring. Regionals get Comaired left and right whenever there's a downturn, especially since the Pandemic started. Regional jets have a higher cost per seat mile than mainline aircraft; and if oil gets expensive, as appears very likely, they may no longer be economical to operate. This will be especially true of 50 seat jets- I work at an all 50-seat jet operator and fully expect to be Comaired in a few months the way things are looking in Europe right now.

At least if you get furloughed from AA or another major you'll have some hope of being recalled eventually.

363C3E98-75E8-40EF-BDA4-044DBA43EF75.jpeg

Back