Moving on

All great as well as very valid points, thank you. I have accepted a class date now with AA. My hang up intitally was with the new TA coming later this year, with everything accounted for, I would have been pushing 170 per hour as an LCA, and I didnt think that I would get close to that even my second year at AA. Howevert being said, looking out long term even as a NB CA at AA, wont even compare at that point as I will make leaps, and bounds above that.

My other hang up was, some fellow pilots were telling me that I was going to be furlough fodder at AA, and not to give up everything I have at OO now. But this is my dream to go on and fly the big jets, and I cannot let that keep me from moving on.

All great as well as very valid points, thank you. I have accepted a class date now with AA. My hang up intitally was with the new TA coming later this year, with everything accounted for, I would have been pushing 170 per hour as an LCA, and I didnt think that I would get close to that even my second year at AA. Howevert being said, looking out long term even as a NB CA at AA, wont even compare at that point as I will make leaps, and bounds above that.

My other hang up was, some fellow pilots were telling me that I was going to be furlough fodder at AA, and not to give up everything I have at OO now. But this is my dream to go on and fly the big jets, and I cannot let that keep me from moving on.

It sounds like Skywest did a number on you. A large corporation does not care about you. You are just a number. Now you're going to become an extremely well compensated number.

Enjoy stacking cheddar and QOL that comes with being at a legacy.

It sounds like Skywest did a number on you. A large corporation does not care about you. You are just a number. Now you're going to become an extremely well compensated number.

Enjoy stacking cheddar and QOL that comes with being at a legacy.

When I was in SLC I heard variations of this told to me in my face.

"Skywest is a family".

"Skywest is a successful Mormon business, that as a Mormon I'm part of/will be part of."

"I could be at Delta, United etc. making a lot more than I am with a better retirement. But I chose to stay here at Skywest, we're a family. I'd only be a number at a legacy." - SLC 175 captain.

"Skywest is a family".

"Skywest is a successful Mormon business, that as a Mormon I'm part of/will be part of."

"I could be at Delta, United etc. making a lot more than I am with a better retirement. But I chose to stay here at Skywest, we're a family. I'd only be a number at a legacy." - SLC 175 captain.

Yeah that’s weird. I spent over 7+ years at SkyWest and never heard any such nonsense. But SKW outside SLC is very different.

I enjoyed my time there, and I’m glad I went there. It was a fantastic place to get some unique 121 experience. The training dept was very good, and the LCAs I had were excellent. I’m sure glad I left though.

Yeah that’s weird. I spent over 7+ years at SkyWest and never heard any such nonsense. But SKW outside SLC is very different.

I enjoyed my time there, and I’m glad I went there. It was a fantastic place to get some unique 121 experience. The training dept was very good, and the LCAs I had were excellent. I’m sure glad I left though.

Yeah being in the pathway program, we got regular visits and meetings with pilot recruiting and line pilots. From the starry eyed young Mormon pilots and even older ones, they made it seem as if being Mormon and living in SLC, that flying for Skywest was a HUGE badge of honor. And an expect rite of passage along their Mormon and aviation journey.

Last edited:
Yeah being in the pathway program, we got regular visits and meetings with pilot recruiting and line pilots. From the starry eyed young Mormon pilots and even older ones, they made it seem as if being Mormon and living in SLC, that flying for Skywest was a HUGE badge of honor. And an expect rite of passage along their Mormon and aviation journey.

Yeah that’s just weird. You won’t encounter that on the line in my experience. The vast majority of the people I flew with were pretty cool.

The longer you’d wait the more furlough fodder you’d be. Also you’d be working a hell of a lot harder for that 170 an hour than you would be at AA

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Anybody who’s trying to convince you to stay is stupid, jealous, or both. Don’t go to mAAinline with regret, go with joy that you left that kind of mentality behind.

“well, back at skywest…”

I just resigned from SkyWest yesterday. I got drafted to a D1 roller derby team, and I need my life back.

Ok, I’ll admit to knowing next to nothing about D1 Roller Derby. Didn’t even know it was a thing but admit we’re somewhat insulated in KY. However, I’m fascinated and intrigued at the same time. I remember watching it on TV as a kid but that was during the dinosaur area long ago when it was probably more like the WWE and probably nothing like that noWanda’s.

If you don’t mind me asking, what are the pay, benefits and lifestyle compared to a Regional airline Capt? On one hand I’m for someone chasing their passions and dreams, yet on the other hand conflicted on giving up a career as a Regional Capt career. Have the Regionals become so bad that folks are giving it up? Obviously, you can always go back to flying but losing seniority would be a difficult pill to swallow.

Greetings fellow JC members,

I do not post much here, however I feel the need for some insight. Was just recently invited for a class date with AA. I’ve been at OO for ten years now, mid seniority, and a new LCA. I’m very excited about this opportunity. That being said however, its very bittersweet.

I have got into a major comfort zone on the E175, and with this lifestyle here. Anyone on here that has moved on after being at their regional for awhile especially as a mid seniority captain, or is about to move on, what are your thoughts for someone like me who kind of feels guilty about moving on?

I say guilty because regionals are scrambling for pilots, and especially LCAs.

I used to help with the interview/selection process for Check Airmen. Not once was I angry when someone "moved on" as you would say. Quite the contrary, I was always happy for them.

The harsh reality of this industry is we are all just a number and are easily replaceable. It's not personal, we are here to move metal. I am very happy at my current job, but I also understand at times I may be the only person looking after my best interests.

Peo Are ridiculous. We had a guy who went nuts on our pilot group Facebook page about how much better it was to work at skywest and how he’d go back if he could keep seniority. He inspired a meme.
Hah, I remember that. It made its way into the OO facebook pages and he got roasted there too.

Yeah that’s just weird. You won’t encounter that on the line in my experience. The vast majority of the people I flew with were pretty cool.
Pretty much the only thing I miss about that place is some of the people I used to fly with. I fly with a lot of good people now, but I remember some of the laughs I had over there and get a little nostalgic every now and then.
I used to help with the interview/selection process for Check Airmen. Not once was I angry when someone "moved on" as you would say. Quite the contrary, I was always happy for them.
This was ironically when I was leaving for OO, but before that I had a part 91 job that was really awesome, good benefits for what it was, and management always looked out for us and backed us up on everything. One of the hardest phone calls I had to make was calling my chief pilot, a retired Vietnam War Cobra pilot who I thought would be a gruff old hardass, and telling him I was putting in my two weeks notice to go to the airlines. I'll never forget how immediately happy he and the other chiefs were for me and how he said they were always happy to help guys get to the next step in their careers. This industry needs more managers like that.

"Skywest is a family".

Every airline/Air Line is going to use the word family. That may be true to a certain extent or within the pilot group. When times get tough and it’s a dog eat dog world you’ll be wearing bacon pants and it’s going to be a dysfunctional “family”. It’s all business nothing more nothing less. And doing business with family is messy anyway.

Back