Moving on

Still a steal of a deal. Pvt, Inst, Comm-ME. That’s 3 check rides and 250 hrs total, fly a Beech 1900 and get paid ($8/hr). Get to 500 total and interview for full time Gulfstream FO or go to a regional like Pinnacle.

Yeah. You paid that amount and got to fly 250 hrs for Gulfstream Airlines in a Beech 1900D flying regular flights, paying passengers, getting $8/hr in exchange. The counter argument of course that Gulfstream wouldn’t have to hire regular FOs off the street and start them on the normal first year pay (I don’t recall, maybe $18/hr). So in that sense it was a true PFT.

The ASA scheme was for everyone right? As a newhire? It wasn’t some shortcut method / back door method where only a certain sect would pay 10 grand and get in with lower hours and earn half the pay of normal FOs.
Yeah, ASA was for everyone. didn’t realize gulfstream was on for a select few. Didn’t realize that had both $18 FO’s, and $8 that paid for the training.

Still a steal of a deal. Pvt, Inst, Comm-ME. That’s 3 check rides and 250 hrs total, fly a Beech 1900 and get paid ($8/hr). Get to 500 total and interview for full time Gulfstream FO or go to a regional like Pinnacle.

was gulfstream 0 to hero, or did you have to come in with a cmel?

cause if it was 0 to hero, I agree, that’s a good deal. Wether it’s right or not is a different story. But 0-500 with the last 250 in a beech 1900 for 30k with a $2000 rebate in wages is a good deal on paper.

Gulfstream wasn’t zero to hero. Or at least the guy I knew who did it had a multi engine commercial and that was his first contact with them.

I know almost everyone in the video. All have gone on to fantastic careers with legacy airlines. Despite everyone here and on Flightinfo twenty years ago telling us PFT was practically as bad as scabbing and we’d all be blacklisted. :rolleyes:

To go from zero to FO was about $30k in total. They had their own affiliated flight school where you could do all of your ratings for about $15k, then it was another $15k for the PFT program.

P.S. Yes, Swanson (the dad) was a SCAB. And an unrepentant one at that. His kids were good guys, though.

PFT, LOL.

i remember walking out of a place in 2005 which was trying to get a contract hauling plane loads of stuff from A to B in a Navajo. The numbers didn’t work out. So they asked me and another dude if we would be willing to pay $30/hr flying this drech to build multi time.

deuces

People coming up right now might fully well be aware of how fortunate their timing is, but I don’t think they can truly grasp what it was like not-that-many-years ago.

You can watch the whole thing if you want, but in particular go to 8:15

[✘] Bright eyes
[✘] Bushy tail
[✘] Cash in hand

HIRED!

People coming up right now might fully well be aware of how fortunate their timing is, but I don’t think they can truly grasp what it was like not-that-many-years ago.
Looking at the GA production numbers, I think in the not too distant future the industry will go back to something like couple hundred hrs in a piston + a bunch of sim and jumpseat - congrats, you're a FO
Someone's gonna have to pay for that too, and until the shortage gets really short, doubt it'll be the airlines.

Gulfstream wasn’t zero to hero. Or at least the guy I knew who did it had a multi engine commercial and that was his first contact with them.

Gulfstream used to be zero to hero. It went away after their fatal midair accident that killed an enrollee and his wife and daughter.

[✘] Bright eyes
[✘] Bushy tail
[✘] Cash in hand

HIRED!

Looking at the GA production numbers, I think in the not too distant future the industry will go back to something like couple hundred hrs in a piston + a bunch of sim and jumpseat - congrats, you're a FO
Someone's gonna have to pay for that too, and until the shortage gets really short, doubt it'll be the airlines.

I give it 5 yrs max before this 1,500 rule goes away and we get MPL.

Ugh. Way to get me excited.
3fb2yz.jpg

y’all want me to utilize my CFI certificate, y’all gon have to pay me for its use

I think the day that MPL is well developed, there will be large specialized flight schools with career instructors (who don't want to go to the airlines) that will pump out pilots to the major airlines.

Back