Moving on

Thanks Max Power, and am sure that you will do great at AA!

Appreciated reading that. I was Also feeling a little apprehensive with what is going on with Russia vs Ukraine, and how that may affect the price of oil, as well as the legacy airlines bottom line. I personally know pilots that had class dates with AA just after 9/11, and then there was the 2008 economic recession, and of course Covid 19 too.

Hoping that with the amount of hiring, and retirements at AA, that if we are facing yet another downturn in our industry that we still have a job with AA, but of course no one really knows.

You could be furloughed every other year at a legacy and you'd still make more money and end up with more time off. Unless your goal is literally to just always be working, the only logical choice is to move along. If you're worried about the economics try going to Spirit Animal, they seem pretty solid.

OMG I was flying with a Tranny guy a couple weeks ago who wanted his E145 back. I was considering telling him he should reapply, except…well, you know.
Please PM me their name so I can make fun of them… last name start with an S by any chance?

Greetings fellow JC members,

I do not post much here, however I feel the need for some insight. Was just recently invited for a class date with AA. I’ve been at OO for ten years now, mid seniority, and a new LCA. I’m very excited about this opportunity. That being said however, its very bittersweet.

I have got into a major comfort zone on the E175, and with this lifestyle here. Anyone on here that has moved on after being at their regional for awhile especially as a mid seniority captain, or is about to move on, what are your thoughts for someone like me who kind of feels guilty about moving on?

I say guilty because regionals are scrambling for pilots, and especially LCAs.
I left a regional for a “major” and I was in the top 1% of the seniority list. Wasn’t even a hesitation. Their staffing isn’t your or my problem, It won’t be fixed if you stay. Get out now.

I left a regional for a “major” and I was in the top 1% of the seniority list. Wasn’t even a hesitation. Their staffing isn’t your or my problem, It won’t be fixed if you stay. Get out now.

I’m a bit confused. How do you let yourself get into the top 20% of the seniority list, let alone the top one percent without some hesitation. I think I must be missing the point.

I’m a bit confused. How do you let yourself get into the top 20% of the seniority list, let alone the top one percent without some hesitation. I think I must be missing the point.

Movement was that fast where I worked. I was probably in that seniority position for 6 months. This was 6 years ago so the landscape is far different now than it was then.

No hesitation for leaving because the retirement and yearly pay isn’t even close to comparable. You just can’t retire on what the regionals offered.

Well today was my last day at OO, it was bittersweet for sure. But you are correct the staffing is not my issue ( I can not believe the attrition for Februrary). Was cool being a CA, and an LCA for a bit, now its back to being a small fish in a big pond again,lol. Have to say though, it felt surreal leaving Ohare today, and driving out the employee lot for the last time. The E175 sure was a nice aircraft to fly.

Well today was my last day at OO, it was bittersweet for sure. But you are correct the staffing is not my issue ( I can not believe the attrition for Februrary). Was cool being a CA, and an LCA for a bit, now its back to being a small fish in a big pond again,lol. Have to say though, it felt surreal leaving Ohare today, and driving out the employee lot for the last time. The E175 sure was a nice aircraft to fly.

Congrats!

That is the biggest thing I’ll miss—that and the crews. The 175 is amazing.

Another classic!

Ah the memories, that was a current video back when I started there. The video wasn't wrong, I got several corporate flying gigs as a looooooow time pilot as a result of my contacts at FSI. I was sad to hear FSI sold the place last year.

Need help with a decision... I think I know where I want to go, but I don't want to be missing something in the decision making process.

I'm at an AA wholly-owned regional and I have CJOs with both United and Delta. I also flow to American in about 5 months as well. First world problems, I know.

I live in north Florida and commute out of JAX. DAB, SAV, and GNV have all served as commute airports as needed though they are all less than preferable compared to JAX.

If I go to United, I will likely bid EWR 737. Gives me 5 flights /day. IAD is also an option but I would only have 3 flights /day there. Pros for United are that there is a lot of different flying opportunities and it would seem that being able to upgrade on a narrow body will happen quickly. Or I can hold a line on a widebody in 7ish years and enjoy that lifestyle. Overall I'd enjoy more career earnings at United though just looking at upgrade and widebody opportunities. Cons for United are that the commute looks a little brutal. Like not fun brutal. No early flights into EWR so I'll need late shows to get to work. I'm also not super fond of United's system for listing for the jump. I get it, seniority trumps everything. But I don't like that I can be bumped off the jump even close to departure by a pilot more senior to me running up to the gate. And there are certainly plenty of more senior United pilots that commute out of JAX.

Delta... Delta has the ATL base and there are 10+ flights /day to and from ATL. There is a 5AM flight to ATL and a 10:30PM flight home to JAX. Also reserve at Delta is probably the best of all 3 legacies. All long call reserve convertible to short call up to 6 times /month. Sounds pretty good to me especially given my commuting options. But if I'm going to be commuting Delta has more flights /day from JAX to LGA than United does to EWR. Cons for Delta are that I feel like I'm hitting the backside of their hiring wave and they have less retirements so my seniority progression won't be as rapid as it would at say United or certainly American. Also in about 10 years I'd only be about 50-60% on the 73ATL and only just barely able to hold a Captain seat as the plug on a narrow body in ATL.

American... By far the best bases and the best commuting options for me. CLT, DFW, MIA, PHL, DCA. All commutable from JAX. Pros for AA are that I wouldn't have to pay back the $30,000 retention bonus. And I'd also receive about $80,000 in additional bonuses just for flowing. AA is also retiring almost 1,000 pilots /year for the next 4-5 years. Lots of movement very quickly. Cons for AA are that I think APA isn't nearly as effective and ALPA at labor representation. I also think AA management isn't as good as the teams at both United and Delta. I'm also highly concerned about a looming bankruptcy for AA and what that may mean for my career in the short term. Especially as we are seeing all the warning signs of an impending recession.

WWYD

I don't really have any advice but it's amazing to have those sort of options. I usually tell people to go to the first top tier airline that offers. But you have three offers. I agree with the "it's better to live in base" crowd but I was a life long commuter, so I get that. Maybe rather than counting on the jumpseat, just buy a ticket and consider it the cost of doing business (commuting). Also, which airline has a better "commuting" policy might weigh in. You don't mention that in your post. And maybe it doesn't exist. I would call in sick if my commute fell apart. No big deal. But you can only do that so much.

That’s not happening. Neither of us want to move. Kids and family are here. We live a few blocks from the beach. Life is good.

I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of those options. AA sounds like a net $110k out of the gate, which probably means you could retire a few years earlier (or buy a reasonably sweet boat). But agree with you on its financial situation.

If I were in your shoes I’d probably go to delta because of the ATL option. 10 flights a day? Awesome. And in a pinch (like your kid is graduating the next day or something) the option of getting a rental and driving is there.

That’s not happening. Neither of us want to move. Kids and family are here. We live a few blocks from the beach. Life is good.
It kind of sounds like AA is the best option. And if I were in your shoes, I think I’d take AA.

FWIW, I work at delta, live in DFW and commute to ATL. With our reserve system and positive space commuting, it’s very low stress, but it’s still a commute. In the next 10 years 50% of the list is supposed to retire. Check out WidgetSeniority.com and click on “prospective and new hires.” You can get a decent idea on your seniority over the course of your career. Good luck!

Back