Motivation

1)after the initial 2 week "oh my god this hurts" phase, it actually feels pretty good.
2)Having some sort of muscle definition as a former skeleton is nice too.
3)Women, duh

wildfreightess said:
I don't want to be yet another fat pilot, either!

Worthless w/o pics 8). I know it's not true!

I have a family supporting me and I have somewhat a routine and follow. I know if I make a mistake that tomorrow is another day and it will be ok. It's a battle.

How do you guys suggest getting involved in Yoga? I don't go to the gym or do a lot of weigh training. (I'm not overweight at all, if anything I'm underweight.) I play ice hockey twice a week (Goalie and skating out). My wife keeps suggesting yoga, which I know would help my flexibility for goaltending. The problem is I don't know where to start. The wife has a membership to total fitness with unlimited guests and free childcare, so I'm thinking maybe we can start a pseudo "date night" at the gym without having to worry about the (oh God, almost 4 year old!).

P90x / Insanity? I have access to each, never popped one in. If it helps I'm ex Army, so as far as form goes I know the right and wrong ways to do your basic push-ups/sit-ups/pull-ups. As far as cardio goes, I HATE running, but I'm built for it...5'7" about 140 lbs. I remember in the military I could run in cadence for miles (usually 5 or 6) with the platoon, but by myself, I plateau and can't get past 1.5.

Pretty similar to Dough. Got one of them fancy wristwatches that isn't really a wristwatch. Now, when I'm huffing along on mile 3, I can look down and see my BPM, etc, and it becomes a problem to solve, like keeping that glideslope nailed. It's never what I'd call "fun", but when you get done and put your arms up, puffing away, you feel great, as I'm sure you know. It's all about keeping a long-term view.

And keep with it. I'm on a three day exercise break, I got caught into the "dammit, too busy", "hung over", "etc" rut which means that I'm back on the road to fatboyness if I don't get off my ass today.

Pretty similar to Dough. Got one of them fancy wristwatches that isn't really a wristwatch. Now, when I'm huffing along on mile 3, I can look down and see my BPM, etc, and it becomes a problem to solve, like keeping that glideslope nailed.

Just be sure to take a smoke break every 2 miles or so. Helps keep the motivation

How do you guys suggest getting involved in Yoga? I don't go to the gym or do a lot of weigh training. (I'm not overweight at all, if anything I'm underweight.) I play ice hockey twice a week (Goalie and skating out). My wife keeps suggesting yoga, which I know would help my flexibility for goaltending. The problem is I don't know where to start. The wife has a membership to total fitness with unlimited guests and free childcare, so I'm thinking maybe we can start a pseudo "date night" at the gym without having to worry about the (oh God, almost 4 year old!).
Yoga really is great for stretching, flexibility, toning, balance and core strength. It's also excellent for lower back issues. Plus, it helps you relax. If the gym has some beginner yoga classes, start there. If not, there are a boat load of dvds on line that you can buy and start out that way. Try to find someone with an entire series of dvds and start at the Beginners level and then when you have the basics mastered, move up to the next step/DVD. There are Yoga dvds just for men also. http://www.livestrong.com/article/369437-the-best-yoga-video-for-men/

At some point, you might want to get into Pilates. Most gyms have classes on Pilates now and there are some terrific dvds available for that also. You don't need to buy any expensive equipment either. You can do a lot with the exercise ball and a pair stretchy bands (for leg and arm exercises) and they have all of that at Sports Authority for example. You can get an arc and arc barrel combo, cheap on line for like $39 bucks and it comes with a dvd here: http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/store/arcs-barrels/pilates-arc.html

You can pick up a basic book on Pilates for beginners on line. I have been doing Pilates for decades now and have a reformer bed with the arm frame. It is very gentle on your joints and really helps you build strength, keep your core tight, great for stretching all your muscles, it's amazing for back issues, helps with balance, posture and coordination. It's painless and yet the rewards are fantastic.

Yoga really is great for stretching, flexibility, toning, balance and core strength. It's also excellent for lower back issues. Plus, it helps you relax. If the gym has some beginner yoga classes, start there. If not, there are a boat load of dvds on line that you can buy and start out that way. Try to find someone with an entire series of dvds and start at the Beginners level and then when you have the basics mastered, move up to the next step/DVD. There are Yoga dvds just for men also. http://www.livestrong.com/article/369437-the-best-yoga-video-for-men/

At some point, you might want to get into Pilates. Most gyms have classes on Pilates now and there are some terrific dvds available for that also. You don't need to buy any expensive equipment either. You can do a lot with the exercise ball and a pair stretchy bands (for leg and arm exercises) and they have all of that at Sports Authority for example. You can get an arc and arc barrel combo, cheap on line for like $39 bucks and it comes with a dvd here: http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/store/arcs-barrels/pilates-arc.html

You can pick up a basic book on Pilates for beginners on line. I have been doing Pilates for decades now and have a reformer bed with the arm frame. It is very gentle on your joints and really helps you build strength, keep your core tight, great for stretching all your muscles, it's amazing for back issues, helps with balance, posture and coordination. It's painless and yet the rewards are fantastic.

I was really into yoga a while back before my twins were born. Once I lose a few more lbs I will definitely be back in the yoga class at my gym. It was the most mild, low impact workout I've ever had, and felt like I got hit by a truck the next day.

Yoga's pretty awesome. Definitely agree about the relaxing bits. For what it's worth, P90X does have some yoga focus, and some of it is pretty effing hard, but it's only part of the program.

I often face a crisis of motivation as well. These are the things that pull me out:

1) changing my routine/goals.
2) admiring the fitness gains/weight loss accomplishments of friends or relatives.
3) pausing to look at myself naked in the full length mirror. Ugh.

I don't want to be yet another fat pilot, either!
That works though! Especially if you go out and eat way more than you should have and then see your huge belly! Talk about a bad feeling, it makes you work that much harder the next day.

I've worked out for most of my life, being military as well, I always thought it as mandatory as it's important to look the part which includes looking good in uniform. Nothing bothers me more than an out of shape military member in uniform or fat cop. Anyway, as I have grown older, the same ole bores me. I don't like going to a gym, I don't like lifting weights but working out is still a must in my life. So I have a home gym and the majority of things I do is body weight (pull-ups, burpees, push-ups, etc, etc) and kettle bell. I have wicked fast work-outs that take no more than 20-30 minutes but they are non stop, push you to your limits. What's nice is it's over in a short time and I can go on my way. I go outdoors as well, put the weight vest on, go do pull-ups at the local school, run sprints, outside burpees. I have friends that complain about 30 mins on a stair climber and I tell them, go do 100 - 200 burpees as fast as you can and tell me if you haven't worked out. Stair climbers are for women who want to read books and think they are working out.

Just as an aside, I love how they're called "burpees" now. When the heck did THAT happen.

Back