Motivation

Maurus

The Great Gazoo
What keeps you motivated to work out?

I ask since I have a 2 month wall. I will start working out and after ~2 months I hit a wall where I absolutely do not want to go work out. I hate working out so much that the health gains don't seem worth my time. I find I am bored out of my mind and uncomfortable. That means watching paint dry is a better alternative in my mind when I hit my 2 month wall.

I got to 3 months once but that is because I paid for a personal trainer which is stupid expensive to do. Money is an interesting motivator, but I have no money to spare as I am looking at rocking 1st year regional pay here soon.

Music, TV, Podcasts, ect just don't entertain me enough to matter and time seems to slow down while jogging.

Spend some time reading about common complications of diseases that preventable by not getting too little exercise.

For example, diabetes and blindness.

It can be difficult to stay motivated to exercise/work out. It takes a long time for it to become a real part of your routines and your lifestyle/way of life. Don't get discouraged. Even after decades of routinely having regimes, one can not be in the mood or feel motivated for a time. There are times when you just have to take a deep breath and force yourself through it. It also helps to break up your routines and the types of exercising that you do. I couldn't do any one or two types of workouts/exercising. I need a variety.

It's fun to learn something new like Yoga, a Martial Art, Pilates, Tai Chi or dozens of other activities. Think about something you have wanted to try. Sometimes, we need to try some new activities to find out which ones we like. Remember, it's just moving and burning up calories. There are a hundred ways to do this and many of them can be fun. If you don't feel like running, go for a long walk or a long bike ride.. I don't know your area, but a walk or ride to some shops, a cafe, a park, to a friend's house or whatever and that is always better than nothing and sitting around feeling badly that you are letting yourself down.

It also helps to maybe take a inexpensive class here and there. You'll be with people and can maybe find a few to connect with for more physical activities. Having a spouse or girlfriend or a buddy or relative or neighbor or co-worker, to do some things like play tennis with, golf with, go bowling, go bike riding with, walking with or whatever you like to do, can break up the monotony of working out alone and you can help to motivate one another and have some fun and share the experience. Heck, dancing is a great way to burn up calories and use all your muscles and meet people. You don't have to drink (calories lol) to go dancing and have a good time.

Break up your routines and add more variety to what kinds of exercising you are doing and it won't be so boring. Walk, run, swim, bike, play ball, work with weights, whatever. There are a lot of ways to burn off the calories and stay in shape. Try and find some company for some of your activities and try some inexpensive classes here and there.

Don't beat yourself up when you just don't feel like it. It's okay to skip a few workouts here and there, just don't let that become a habit. There are times when you just have to use your will power and make yourself do something, ........anything, will help. I concentrate on how much better I feel afterwards, how much more energy I'll have, more endurance, enjoy the endorphins, that I'll be less stressed out, sleep better and that I kept my commitment. That and the sooner I just buckle down and get it over with, then I can move on to something else I want to do. lol

Treat yourself afterwards to some rewards also, like a long soak, maybe a scoop of ice cream or something else that you like/enjoy. Feel empowered that you are doing the right thing and something that is for yourself, something that will hopefully benefit you for many years to come. Understand that there will be peaks and valleys along the way. That happens to everyone. Just don't give up, feel too down about it and just keep plugging. I think that the more you can mix it all up, have as many physical activities in your bag as possible and get a little company here and there for some of them, it would really help.

Sometimes, we need a change of scenery. If that means driving to a spot to walk or loading up the bike and doing the same thing, then do that. Change up your views and experience and even the time of day that you workout. Make it a little adventure. Don't set your goals too high either. Smaller goals are easier to achieve, build on and feel some accomplishment over, rather than goals that we feel we cannot stick with or make. Just keep setting them.

Look for some clubs/groups that get together. They usually have events/activities for all skill levels, whether it's hiking, walking, bike riding, rock climbing, bowling, archery, softball or whatever. Many charity events have physical activities to raise money and you can meet some terrific people too and for a worthwhile cause. Here, they even have clean the beaches or clean the parks days and people all get together and volunteer to to that.

Find ways to make the experience more positive for you to do, with a lot more variety, new activities, some companions here and there, changes of scenery and you'll be much more inclined to continue physical activities and be inspired to find even more new activities and goals. The more in person, face to face support you can get, the better.

If motivation is a problem, one trick is to use a formal program designed by someone else rather than just doing random activities. Also, just do something new. Start a new program, go to a different gym, use a different online training schedule, whatever, just "newness" helps a lot. I personally have really enjoyed GSP Rushfit, but there are a lot of other HIT programs that are very good.

If you're overweight, do the before and after photos. You can keep them to yourself, but they're great motivators if taped on a bathroom mirror or refrigerator. Record your body measurements, chest, waist, thigh, biceps. Set realistic weight goals, like 2 pounds loss per week by simply reducing your intake by 1,000 calories per day. There are simple calculators to figure your needs and you can pre-plan healthy but fulfilling (that's the key to sustainability) and then it's much easier to stick to the plan.

Also, find exercise that you really enjoy doing...if running or circuit training are just too dang boring to be motivating then go find something you do like... be adventurous. Take up boxing, martial arts, MMA, tennis, dance, trail running, gymnastics... whatever seems fun or crazy. There's no reason at all to do the same thing month after month.

Sounds like you need 6 weeks on and 2 weeks "off". Schedule a furlough for your fitness life. For those two weeks, rest your body and if you can, do what you would consider an unconventional-for-you routine. If you've been primarily jogging, try lifting weights 2 days a week for a couple weeks. Or just go for a walk every other night or so. If you lift weights already, try stretching only every night for a couple weeks. Or do nothing. Take your mind off the grind. It needs a long break, as do your muscles and joints. It would be better if you could do 16 and 2 but start with 6 and 2 since 8 weeks seems to be your limit of interest. But definitely include an extended break as one of your regular goals. That can be one of your biggest motivators at times and will help you with consistency in your workout approach.

Get some cute women to train with.

I went from never running a race to a marathon with 2 months preparation. I maybe ran 1-2 days a week, before then. One of the women convinced me to run a marathon. Another girl at work ran so we all met up at my house at 8 am each morning. Stated at 3 times a week ended up running 6 days a week.

I went from couch to a marathon in under 2 months on what would have been my 36th birthday if it was not a leap year. I was aiming for a 10 minute/mile pace and made that the first half and started to pick it up the second half. Could not walk right for 3 weeks afterwards.

Even if you can't find some hotties to run with, getting someone else to train with makes it more fun. Having someone expecting you to be there makes turning your alarm off and going back to sleep not an option. Also each person may bring different motivation each day. One of the girls I ran with was faster than me I ran longer distances. At first I was forced to run faster, cause I couldn't let a girl show me up. Then i started dragging them on longer runs.

I ran into a guy while running that was a flight instructor when I was a student. He wanted to do adventure races. I am just as competitive when running with dudes. We joined a track club., where we'd meet Tuesday nights for a group workout. It was good to have a group push me and i got a lot faster as a result. My friend even found his next wife there.

My two suggestions is find a group to keep you honest and motivated and push you. Find an event and a goal to train for; 5k, marathon, duathalon, century, anything you need to push yourself to achieve to make you motivated to meet those goals.

My motivation is my enjoyment.

Lol I know my advice isn't great, but I enjoy going to the gym. It gives me satisfaction to keep myself fit and healthy. I also enjoy having time to reflect on my day ( thinking about the good or bad decisions I made) during a gym workout. It also kills time for me when I am on the road or just flat out need a break from college classes.

Like A Life Aloft said, it takes awhile for it to become a part of your daily routine, but once it does motivation is easy.

Good luck!

As everyone else is generally saying, find things you really enjoy doing. For me, if the options were going to the gym and jogging, I would have very little motivation too. If you get immersed in a couple of athletic activities you will get far better exercise than you ever will from a low motivation trip to the gym. In my opinion, exercise needs to become part of your lifestyle if you want to have a lasting impact.

I've worked out for most of my life, being military as well, I always thought it as mandatory as it's important to look the part which includes looking good in uniform. Nothing bothers me more than an out of shape military member in uniform or fat cop. Anyway, as I have grown older, the same ole bores me. I don't like going to a gym, I don't like lifting weights but working out is still a must in my life. So I have a home gym and the majority of things I do is body weight (pull-ups, burpees, push-ups, etc, etc) and kettle bell. I have wicked fast work-outs that take no more than 20-30 minutes but they are non stop, push you to your limits. What's nice is it's over in a short time and I can go on my way. I go outdoors as well, put the weight vest on, go do pull-ups at the local school, run sprints, outside burpees. I have friends that complain about 30 mins on a stair climber and I tell them, go do 100 - 200 burpees as fast as you can and tell me if you haven't worked out. Stair climbers are for women who want to read books and think they are working out.

Find something you enjoy doing. Tennis, basketball, softball, racketball, Frisbee golf, and etc. You don't necessarily have to "kill it" everytime to stay in shape.

One of my favorite workouts is actually done while watching my favorite TV shows. Whenever a commercial break would happen I'd do a set of twenty to thirty sit ups/pushups or do a few pullups. I could usually get hundreds of each done during a regular day. Add some jumping jacks or something else cardiovascular and you'd have a great workout!

Motivation for me comes from two different people: Cameron Hanes, and Lt Col Dave Grossman. Their writings focus on a "warrior's mindset" and really get my ass moving.

(1) Finding something that is fun.

(2) Training for an event can be a motivation.

(3) Keep a chart / calendar of your workouts (for some reason, that seems to help me a lot).

Training for events helps also, I'm kind of s biometrics geek. Nike+ app when I run and I wear a fuel band to chart my activity.

Fear of being "yet another fat pilot" again is plenty for me at this point.

Same here. I plan out my "season" of workouts up to 20-24 weeks and track my progress. Since I'm primarily a runner, I use scheduled races or personal time trial as progress checks. I keep my short term goals realistic. Keeping my approach as scientific as possible allows me to more easily find a reason for not reaching a goal, so I'm not then so frustrated and confused that I resign.

I often face a crisis of motivation as well. These are the things that pull me out:

1) changing my routine/goals.
2) admiring the fitness gains/weight loss accomplishments of friends or relatives.
3) pausing to look at myself naked in the full length mirror. Ugh.

I don't want to be yet another fat pilot, either!

Back