more Ameriflight....

I did the phone interview with Sheri today, she was a great person to talk with. She said I could choose where to do the tech/sim interview. Any recommendations on where to interview or are they all pretty much the same?

You're in Florida? What options did she give you? I interviewed in Oakland because I live close by. Our ACP here is super cool. They used a frasca which was "similar" to the Navajo. Not bad. But a lot of my ground school classmates interviewed in Burbank and said it was cool. Although a couple did complain about the sim ride with the Bob.

The options she gave me are Cincinnati, Dallas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Burbank, Oakland, Portland and Seattle. I was thinking Seattle because I like the area, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Sounds like I should steer clear of the infamous Bob.

I went down last year to BFI. It was a good show. ACP was a good fellow.

Tech, HR then next door to do the Sim in a frasca 142? Frasca something or other.

I wasn't invited to Burbank. Blessing in disguise.

Nice, my flight school has a frasca 142 that we can set to a Navajo. Should help with the sim. Is there anything in particular they emphasize in the tech interview?

Nice, my flight school has a frasca 142 that we can set to a Navajo. Should help with the sim. Is there anything in particular they emphasize in the tech interview?

You'll probably be expected to know as much as possible about your current airplane. V speeds included.

Mostly not sucking. I mostly say this in jest, but seriously most guys that do the interviews can sniff out whether you know what you're talking about or not within a few minutes.

Just finished my VCC and heading to OAK tomorrow for line training. This job is gonna be fun!!

Does anyone know where they put us up in OAK? La Quinta?

Had a phone interview with Sheri on June 14, went great, she offered me a choice of bases, PDX or OAK. I chose PDX. She then offered me a choice of class dates, Jul. 11 or Aug. 8. I chose Aug 8. Then she set me up with a July 11 sim eval date here in the Phoenix area, to be confirmed with whom and what exact time of day. All good.....
Friday at 445pL, I get an email: "Thanks for your interest, but we will not be going forward with the interview process. While I am not at liberty to discuss the specifics of our decision, I truly enjoyed talking to you on June 14, and I know your career will soar to unexpected heights"!? What the heck? How will that happen if 10 days after our interview that was so pleasant and good, you give me the ole thanks but there's the door? Any insights here? This aint my first rodeo, and as Sheri said, I have more flight time than the average applicant. I do have 1 skeleton in my closet, was open and honest about the termination from a 121 carrier for a breach of policy. She said that was easy to overcome at this point.

-Frustrated-

Had a phone interview with Sheri on June 14, went great, she offered me a choice of bases, PDX or OAK. I chose PDX. She then offered me a choice of class dates, Jul. 11 or Aug. 8. I chose Aug 8. Then she set me up with a July 11 sim eval date here in the Phoenix area, to be confirmed with whom and what exact time of day. All good.....
Friday at 445pL, I get an email: "Thanks for your interest, but we will not be going forward with the interview process. While I am not at liberty to discuss the specifics of our decision, I truly enjoyed talking to you on June 14, and I know your career will soar to unexpected heights"!? What the heck? How will that happen if 10 days after our interview that was so pleasant and good, you give me the ole thanks but there's the door? Any insights here? This aint my first rodeo, and as Sheri said, I have more flight time than the average applicant. I do have 1 skeleton in my closet, was open and honest about the termination from a 121 carrier for a breach of policy. She said that was easy to overcome at this point.

-Frustrated-

Thats unfortunate. I have no idea what that could be. Must have been some record they looked up and didn't like.

Thats unfortunate. I have no idea what that could be. Must have been some record they looked up and didn't like.
Yes, but what can they look up without me signing a document giving permission to look into things? I am pretty clear on whats in my records anyway, as far as PRIA, FAA, criminal, etc. All good....

Maybe concern about your prior experience as being too far off. Just a guess. We had a guy in our class who [apparently] quit after the first sim. I gotta think a lot of FMS-dual-crew-and-autopilot guys are not the best candidates for single pilot /A flying. Not that they're not capable or talented enough, but just that it's an extremely frustrating transition.

I had about 9 months of corporate experience (FMS and AP) and then about a year in a glass panel C206. I almost had a nervous breakdown after the first sim.

But you're right about PRIA and full background check. If you didn't fill out the paperwork, they shouldn't have seen anything like that.

Thanks guys, I've been studying the AIM, Pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge, Instrument procedures handbook, and my duchess POH. I hope that's enough. Ziggy, sorry to hear that, hopefully it was for the best and something better is around the corner.

The options she gave me are Cincinnati, Dallas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Burbank, Oakland, Portland and Seattle. I was thinking Seattle because I like the area, but any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Sounds like I should steer clear of the infamous Bob.

This might be a bait and switch. I think she just listed all the bases we have for you to look to the future, some of those bases are turbine only and except for a Dallas metro spot I doubt we are hiring into turbine yet. In my training class two people intending to go to Portland were told on day 3, your going to Oakland. One of them quit after a month there as a result. You are most likely to get Oakland or Portland. If you want elsewhere put in a request for the Be-99 upgrade and transfer to a turbine base your first week on the line. It usually takes 6-12 months to get it. Things come and go in waves but at one time people were still flying PA31 after 2 years at AMF in SEA, where as you would be well on your way to AMFs big planes and the "big" bucks elsewhere.

If you have Jeppesens Instrument Procedure guide a good book to prep you for the interview and make the transition to using jepp charts. Good luck.

Those are places she said I could interview, not be based out of initially. PDX or OAK were base options to work at. Been studying Jepps too!

Maybe concern about your prior experience as being too far off. Just a guess. We had a guy in our class who [apparently] quit after the first sim. I gotta think a lot of FMS-dual-crew-and-autopilot guys are not the best candidates for single pilot /A flying. Not that they're not capable or talented enough, but just that it's an extremely frustrating transition.

I had about 9 months of corporate experience (FMS and AP) and then about a year in a glass panel C206. I almost had a nervous breakdown after the first sim.

But you're right about PRIA and full background check. If you didn't fill out the paperwork, they shouldn't have seen anything like that.

I totally understand that...however, if that were the case, I think we covered that pertty well in the phone interview. ONly a little over 500 hrs of 4500+ in a dual crew EFIS bird, I have several hundred single pilot ifr in steam guage planes as well....oh well, like another guy said, maybe for the best. I've just had a tough time finding something...but don't want to give up after all the time and money and sweat I've invested in my career.

Back