Mitral valve prolapse diagnosis

Muff3n

Doc,

I was diagnosed back in the fall with mitral valve prolapse. I have a sunken chest (pectus excavatum), and my cardiologist said it was most likely related to that. He said I have a very mild case, that he did not even call abnormal at all in my records. I have zero valve leakage. I got a class 2 in July 2013, which would now be reverted to a class 3 medical. I have never had any kind of symptoms that lead me to go to the cardiologist. I took the initiative to schedule an appointment and just get a checkup since I wanted to see if my pectus excavatum was affecting my heart at all.

Does me being diagnosed with this automatically void my medical? I haven't flown since then since I have been saving some money, etc. , but just wanted to make sure I didn't need to submit paperwork before I flew rented a plane and flew again.

Also, would you elaborate a little on the process of getting a medical issues with a condition like this? Honestly, the possibility for medical problems has always really scared me when it comes to flying. Right now I work in a non aviation field (2 years out of college, with all my certificates besides CFI), but I really am considering giving professional flying a shot. I have always had a huge phobia of losing my license to some random medical reason and have essentially wasted years of a career. Any piece of mind that you are willing to share about how you have seen the FAA work with people and get special issuances out would be fantastic for some peace of mind. (If there has ever been such times). Flying is my passion, but I have let my fear of medical problems play a big role in scaring me away from it.

Thanks for much for your help,

Last edited:
Back