Midwest brand circling the drain?

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Figured it was a matter of time :(

What’s in a name? Republic could drop Midwest Airlines brand to reduce confusion

The Business Journal of Milwaukee- by Rich Rovito

The Midwest Airlines brand name eventually could disappear as the Oak Creek airline’s parent company continues to study ways to reduce confusion among travelers. Indianapolis-based Republic Airways Holdings Inc. purchased Midwest Airlines and Frontier Airlines of Denver in separate deals last year.

Since that time, Midwest entered into and has repeatedly expanded a booking pact with Frontier. “We are looking at what makes the most sense,” Republic spokesman Carlo Bertolini said.“One possibility would be to get down to one name.”

Moving to a unified identity could be a logical next step after Republic's announcement Jan. 14 that it’s consolidating all executive management functions for Midwest and Frontier in Indianapolis. Republic also announced that the integration will also include a single reservation system and fully integrated frequent flier programs.

The expanded booking pact between Midwest and Frontier has left some travelers wondering whether they will be traveling on a Frontier plane that features satellite television service at each seat, or a Midwest flight where baked-on-board chocolate chip cookies are served, Bertolini said.

Midwest spokesman Jim Reichart said ongoing discussions have focused on various ways to deliver a consistent product to passengers of the sister airlines. Although he didn’t rule out the possibility of the Midwest Airlines brand name disappearing from the air travel landscape, Reichart said the name will remain for the foreseeable future.
“A lot of talking is being done about that, but we’re nowhere near a decision,” he said.“We’re not going to rush it. We’ve been doing a lot of things behind the scenes with the customer experience to make sure it is seamless regardless of which airplane you get on.”

Reichart insisted that a decision on whether to drop the Midwest name isn’t likely to be made anytime soon.
“The idea that we are going to suddenly scrap the Midwest name in the short term wouldn’t be true at this point,” he said. “It’s ultimately a business decision and there are no easy answers. We’re going to do a lot of work with our customers to understand the equity of both brands.Suggesting the demise of the Midwest name is premature.”
Dwindling brand

The potential loss of the Midwest Airlines brand name isn’t likely to have as much of an impact on travelers as it would have a few years ago, when the airline offered a wide range of amenities designed to lure business travelers, said Dave Fantle, spokesman for Visit Milwaukee, the area’s visitors and convention bureau.

“The Midwest brand differentiation has dwindled over the last few years,” Fantle said.
With Orlando, Fla.-based AirTran Airways aggressively expanding its operations at Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport and the recent entry of Southwest Airlines, the nation’s largest discount airline, into the market, Milwaukee has become one of the most competitive cities in the United States for air travel.

“We’ve got a positive competitive environment here in Milwaukee,”Fantle said. In the past,a certain segment of fliers, mainly business travelers, had been willing to pay a premium for a Midwest flight because of the high-end amenities, he said.
Now, price and schedule tend to be the primary concerns among travelers, although some level of loyalty to a given airline is certain to remain for travelers enrolled in frequent flier programs, Fantle said.

Frontier has offered air service in the Milwaukee market and “isn’t an unknown brand” among area travelers, should Republic decide to keep the brand name at the expense of Midwest Airlines, he said.

Creating anew name for the combined operations of the sister airlines would present more of an issue, Fantle said. “Starting anew brand from the ground up would be a challenge,” he said.

The dropping of the Midwest name would be a blow to the city’s image as it is one of the best-known Milwaukee brands nationally, community leaders said.
The potential elimination of the Midwest Airlines brand name also would affect the naming rights of the Midwest Airlines Center.Midwest’s naming rights deal for the city’s downtown Milwaukee convention facility expires in2013.

A name change would be just the latest in a series of changes implemented by Republic since it acquired Midwest and Frontier. The most recent move, which became effective Jan. 1, involved shifting all Midwest employees to Frontier’s payroll system.

The move was made to streamline benefits administration, Reichart said. “Republic was saddled with three human resources systems,” he said. “It will eventually move down to one.”

It's a matter of time. Everything will become Frontier, owned by Republic Holdings.

EMB-195 base in MKE, A320 base in DEN, and I'm guessing another EMB-195 base some mid Atlantic state.

Confusion among travellers? No Shiat! What do You expect when a passengers buys a ticket on the Frontier web site and then shows up at the gate and there sits an E-190 in Midwest colors.

Confusion among travellers? No Shiat! What do You expect when a passengers buys a ticket on the Frontier web site and then shows up at the gate and there sits an E-190 in Midwest colors.

Lots of unhappy travellers as well. Talking to a FO here in DAY he said a lot are looking into the situation more due to picking to fly Frontier and expecting things such as inflight entertainment and then finding out they are on an E190 for the next 2 1/2 hours from DEN-DAY......

Lots of unhappy travellers as well. Talking to a FO here in DAY he said a lot are looking into the situation more due to picking to fly Frontier and expecting things such as inflight entertainment and then finding out they are on an E190 for the next 2 1/2 hours from DEN-DAY......

If it were up to me I would put internet into the F9 fleet. Keep the cookie as a tribute to the Midwest brand and if possible throw TVs into the 190s. I don't know how much those weigh and how much they cost as an aftermarket deal but if Jet Blue can make it work in their 190s I don't see why RAH couldn't. I also think that if every plane had free or cheap internet you would have lots o' happy travelers. I also don't really think the passengers care too much about what color the plane is painted so long as they are getting the same service. If I paid for a ticket on Frontier thinking I would be getting a TV and I showed up and I got a cookie instead I would be pretty pissed. On the other hand if I booked a flight on Midwest and I showed up and got on a F9 Airbus with a TV I would be thrilled. These scenarios make it kinda obvious what the surviving brand will be.

I don't get it. It they drop the Midwest name and service then what did RAH buy other then some POed employees. My guess is if they drop the name MKE as a hub will follow.

It's a matter of time. Everything will become Frontier, owned by Republic Holdings.

EMB-195 base in MKE, A320 base in DEN, and I'm guessing another EMB-195 base some mid Atlantic state.

Im pretty sure there will be an Airbus base in MKE. If memory serves me there is one opening in April. There are also rumors that BB has been talking to people in STL and he has even made comments in the weekly memos to employees that with Airlines pulling out of bases (AA-STL-RDU, US Air-PIT, etc...) that these may be big opportunities. I see PIT as a pretty good fit as its proximity to the east coast city centers makes it a quick hop to just about anywhere over there.

I don't get it. It they drop the Midwest name and service then what did RAH buy other then some POed employees. My guess is if they drop the name MKE as a hub will follow.

They bought the competition?? I dunno. Bedford has said before that he had no intention of buying two airlines. But the deals when presented were a bit too good to pass up.

They bought the competition?? I dunno. Bedford has said before that he had no intention of buying two airlines. But the deals when presented were a bit too good to pass up.

The problem is that has never worked just ask AMR.

The problem is that has never worked just ask AMR.

It worked in a pseudo-fashion when WN had the investment/partnership in ATA.

No more ATA, they got gates in MDW that they couldn't buy outright, cause everyone was all up in arms about ticket prices in MDW. They got gates in LGA. They got rid of one minor airline.

How quickly recent memory fades.....

I think you are giving most passengers more credit than they earn.

Example: the other day I was jumpseating on the tranny. An off duty crew member was helping the agent by finding connecting gates for passengers coming off the plane.

On many occasions when he asked where they were going next they had to check their ticket before answering.

RAH is the only North American 190 operator that I know of with no IFE. When RAH plans to step in as YX and F9, 2 airlines that are(were) known for service rather than the lowest prices, they really need to get into gear with their a/c if they plan to keep the frequent fliers.

A local news station in Milwaukee claims to have received an anonymous tip that Bedford is going to start dismantling the Midwest name very soon.

RAH is the only North American 190 operator that I know of with no IFE. When RAH plans to step in as YX and F9, 2 airlines that are(were) known for service rather than the lowest prices, they really need to get into gear with their a/c if they plan to keep the frequent fliers.

US Airways doesn't have IFE on their 190's, or any of their domestic fleet for that matter. IMO, I don't think IFE is that big of a factor in keeping frequent fliers.

I don't know about that. I always tried to fly on Frontier partly because they had DirectTV. And they were always really nice. Given somewhat equal prices then all that is left to compete on is quality and value. It's funny that we should even be discussing Midwest losing on that, thats how I know Midwest Airlines doesn't exist anymore.

Dumber things happen in this industy every day, but it seems like a waste to me to get your planes painted in a brand you plan on doing away with.

US Airways doesn't have IFE on their 190's, or any of their domestic fleet for that matter. IMO, I don't think IFE is that big of a factor in keeping frequent fliers.

Flying in the US is generally a miserable experience, and anything that helps you take your mind off of how miserable it is , is golden! I used to take later flights occasional just to Jumpseat on a plane with IFE. In Frontiers case, its what their known for.

Back