Mid-air over Denver....

Just had a similar event with a central Florida D airport. ATIS was 50 minutes old and said fog, I was VFR and about 8 out, but could see the entire field. I called up the tower blah blah blah 8 NW field in sight.... Tower made me orbit outside the Delta until the new ATIS was cut reflecting VMC.

thats dumb.

It does seem like a suboptimal arrangement to have two different controllers directing traffic for runways that are 700 ft apart at the centerline and where there is a lot of pattern work and student training.
Yet except for this unusual accident it works. The second frequency is to reduce workload when it is extra buy at this airport with over 300,000 annual operations.

It was my home base for 20 years. Even the first time I flew there I didn't think it was anything special. I've soloed students there. Plus, with one runway 3000' shorter than the other and offset, traffic tends to be vertically separated too. I think folks who don't fly in that environment have a skewed mental picture of what it's like.

A single controller juggling traffic in both runways on both runways would not have made a difference. The Cirrus, for whatever reason, was flying to fast and was in the process of overshooting both runways.

Most Cirrus pilots I know are very good.

Have to agree. When I first saw the news from APA and the color of the aircraft I immediately pinged another who owns a nearly identical aircraft. He’s a solid pilot. I wanted to know it wasn’t him.

Irony, he was there on the ramp and had flown down for the day in his from his local home airport and watched the whole thing go down. With his kid.

And I’m not even sure — on a better day — whoever was flying this one wouldn’t have done just fine.

He just flew too fast and overshot centerline. That’s really the bottom line.

I’ve done it (but not as far over — without a west wind!) in the 182. I’m not picking on the pilot here, I’m stating it as fact as someone else who’s done it at APA.

There’s other ways to mitigate it there (as Mark has said the threshold location differences usually provide a very small altitude cushion) but at the end of the day you just... can’t do it.

There’s just not enough room for that particular mistake.

He just flew too fast and overshot centerline. That’s really the bottom line.

I’ve done it (but not as far over — without a west wind!) in the 182. I’m not picking on the pilot here, I’m stating it as fact as someone else who’s done it at APA.

when I was around 20 hours or so I was on the downwind and tower cleared me to land, gave me traffic incoming on the parellel. I told tower “uh if it’s alright I’ll wait til he passes, I have a tendency to overshoot the centerline.” They were cool with it and it’s a good thing cause sure enough I overshot.

Surprised we have not heard more about this accident from the Key Lime pilot. When did he know he been involved in a midair? I’m thinking he didn’t know until he opened the door and saw the “sun roof”.

People on the ramp must have had looks of disbelief on their faces as he taxied past.

Someone here must know a friend of a friend?
I flown with him (Edit: the metro pilot) and messaged him this week. He is a top notch pilot, professional, a good stick and an all around cool guy. I believe he is also a member of JC. He has been meeting with the FAA.

Last edited:
an all around cool guy. I believe he is also a member of JC.

I got all excited until I realized I had mis-remembered and it wasn't a Cirrus.

1621391680848.png

Edit: Nevermind, he appears to have gone all "masks are tyranny," "this politician is a RINO," and "here's my latest gun update!"

I'm not familiar with the ADSB-out traffic avoidance gizmo's other than what I've skimmed through on the Gleim CFI renewal. I'm sure the Metro didn't have squat but the Cirrus you would think probably would. I don't think those gizmo's have a voice RA like TCAS but does a target at least turn red or something we you get too close?

I'm not familiar with the ADSB-out traffic avoidance gizmo's other than what I've skimmed through on the Gleim CFI renewal. I'm sure the Metro didn't have squat but the Cirrus you would think probably would. I don't think those gizmo's have a voice RA like TCAS but does a target at least turn red or something we you get too close?
Probably used to hearing it all the time if they were a regular at APA

I think the fact that both the Metroliner and the Cirrus were on the ADS-B tracking sites is a positive indication that they both had ADS-B. I.e., I don't think those sites show TIS (which is the only way to track law enforcement when they turn off their transponder, etc.).

What you're describing is "TCAS I" where traffic will be displayed and there is a tau envelope, but there is no coordinated resolution. I think anything that is ADS-B capable would have at least traffic alerting as a "freebie" if a display is available.

I think the fact that both the Metroliner and the Cirrus were on the ADS-B tracking sites is a positive indication that they both had ADS-B. I.e., I don't think those sites show TIS (which is the only way to track law enforcement when they turn off their transponder, etc.).

What you're describing is "TCAS I" where traffic will be displayed and there is a tau envelope, but there is no coordinated resolution. I think anything that is ADS-B capable would have at least traffic alerting as a "freebie" if a display is available.

I think that requires ADS-B *IN* to see traffic.

when I was around 20 hours or so I was on the downwind and tower cleared me to land, gave me traffic incoming on the parellel. I told tower “uh if it’s alright I’ll wait til he passes, I have a tendency to overshoot the centerline.” They were cool with it and it’s a good thing cause sure enough I overshot.
That's because you weren't vapor-locked on the radio like most other 20 hour pilots.

Nah. Shooting is done on the other side of Arapahoe Road from APA at Centennial Gun Club. ;-) (On final for 17R.)
Way back in time, the Army decided I needed training at Fort Polk, LA. The on-post airfield was then served by Trans Texas DC-3s. Some wizard had decided to build rifle ranges surrounding the airfield.

When an incoming flight turned final, the trainees at the rifle ranges had to ground their weapons and step back until the aircraft departed. They didn't want a disgruntled soldier headed to Vietnam to bag himself a DC-3.

Way back in time, the Army decided I needed training at Fort Polk, LA. The on-post airfield was then served by Trans Texas DC-3s. Some wizard had decided to build rifle ranges surrounding the airfield.

When an incoming flight turned final, the trainees at the rifle ranges had to ground their weapons and step back until the aircraft departed. They didn't want a disgruntled soldier headed to Vietnam to bag himself a DC-3.

There is an open-air shooting range 1000' feet from the departure end of runway 24 at my home airport. It's...interesting, sometimes....

There is an open-air shooting range 1000' feet from the departure end of runway 24 at my home airport. It's...interesting, sometimes....

Outdoor shooting ranges are common at military installations near their associated airfields. Nothing unusual at all. Granted, the firing directions are not in the direction of the runway or ramp areas at all, but the ranges themselves are commonly nearby.

Back