Mid-air over Denver....

Outdoor shooting ranges are common at military installations near their associated airfields. Nothing unusual at all. Granted, the firing directions are not in the direction of the runway or ramp areas at all, but the ranges themselves are commonly nearby.

Sure. Makes sense.

My home field is in the middle of a residential neighborhood, very, very close to DC. The vibe is a little different. :)

There’s also the possibility of being in the pattern and shot down... LOL.

Kidding... but I realized on another forum discussing the incident that quite a few folks don’t realize there’s a lot faster stuff landing on the parallel on a regular basis than a Metroliner.

Asked the photog permission to share. This was yesterday. It’s common.

APA has an FBO with military fueling contracts and we have all sorts of interesting visitors. Almost daily in summertime.

b53a1c6df39afe94984140c28d7acb14.jpg

Supposedly VFC-12s second Super Hornet.

You don’t want to be overshooting when they’re arriving. They’re usually cleared for a low pass to enter the overhead break. :)

But it’s fun to look down 500’ or so as they pass... and always interesting to have parallel traffic rumble your entire body while you’re enjoying the mini-show doing Skylane speed of cold... haha.

Whoooosh, booommmmm, rumbllllle...

“Caution wake turbulence...” from the thing that just went by you like you were standing still...

Outdoor shooting ranges are common at military installations near their associated airfields. Nothing unusual at all. Granted, the firing directions are not in the direction of the runway or ramp areas at all, but the ranges themselves are commonly nearby.

Taking a wide crosswind to downwind at Butts Army Airfield (Ft Carson) puts you directly over and in line with a small arms range.

15/35 at Gray AAF (JBLM) if you don’t tuck in your pattern in East traffic, same. Flying right over top of the M4 range.

Missed approach in the ILS at Campbell takes you dead into the impact area.

Honestly though being over top the range is far safer than being well downwind of it. Somebody would really have to get your number right to have an ND at that high and angle that happened to meet you in space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s also the possibility of being in the pattern and shot down... LOL.

Kidding... but I realized on another forum discussing the incident that quite a few folks don’t realize there’s a lot faster stuff landing on the parallel on a regular basis than a Metroliner.

Asked the photog permission to share. This was yesterday. It’s common.

APA has an FBO with military fueling contracts and we have all sorts of interesting visitors. Almost daily in summertime.

b53a1c6df39afe94984140c28d7acb14.jpg

Supposedly VFC-12s second Super Hornet.

You don’t want to be overshooting when they’re arriving. They’re usually cleared for a low pass to enter the overhead break. :)

But it’s fun to look down 500’ or so as they pass... and always interesting to have parallel traffic rumble your entire body while you’re enjoying the mini-show doing Skylane speed of cold... haha.

Whoooosh, booommmmm, rumbllllle...

“Caution wake turbulence...” from the thing that just went by you like you were standing still...
For what it's worth, traffic in the final approach corridor looks like it is legitimately standing still, like a balloon on a string, when you go past it at 400 knots on the way to the overhead.

There’s always either a shooting range or a golf course next to the airport. Sometimes both.
Palmer is an interesting place. When I was getting my PPL my instructor had me stop so he could get golf balls off the taxiway. Then I also had the FBI visit because somebody called and threatened to shoot down the schools helicopter because of the noise.

There’s always either a shooting range or a golf course next to the airport. Sometimes both.

We found a grass runway in PA that ended in a nice-looking green. Kind of interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shelter Cove in NorCal, they changed a few holes and build the runway down the center of the golf course. Land short on RWY 30 and you're in a sand trap.

View attachment 59194

View attachment 59195

View attachment 59196

The Ocean Reef airport in South Florida is similar. Rumor has it that you had to watch for golf carts out near the runway back in the day. It is the standard corporate pilot PITA airport that well to do people are very adamant about flying into...

Shelter Cove in NorCal, they changed a few holes and build the runway down the center of the golf course. Land short on RWY 30 and you're in a sand trap.

View attachment 59194

View attachment 59195

View attachment 59196

I did a precautionary landing there with a pair of scary green Army helicopters. Number 2 had a gear box chip light literally right after we passed the place joking about how middle of nowhere it was.
a99081d57554f1102d749cea0843d0ad.jpg

Sets just say the locals had a loooot of questions as to why we were in town.
987c0260b6e9682784a4ba32b2025e87.jpg

Somebody was nice enough to lend me a phone to call our ops officer and tell him “you aren’t going to believe where I am right now Sir...”

Funniest part was walking across the airfield that night to find a kid perched up on the wing of my aircraft smoking the biggest water pipe he could carry with a freezer bag full of weed.

What a great cross country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did a precautionary landing there with a pair of scary green Army helicopters.

Sets just say the locals had a loooot of questions as to why we were in town.

Funniest part was walking across the airfield that night to find a kid perched up on the wing of my aircraft smoking the biggest water pipe he could carry with a freezer bag full of weed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet he would have shared.

I bet he would have shared.

I told him I didn’t care what he was doing, just that he shouldn’t be doing it up on the wing, it’s an injury hazard. Not knowing how/where to grab and climb I was more worried he’d take a header.

So I held his bag of weed and pipe and helped him climb down, while the other 3 guys laughed their butts off that the senior guy was the one holding all the drugs.

I told him I didn’t care what he was doing, just that he shouldn’t be doing it up on the wing, it’s an injury hazard. Not knowing how/where to grab and climb I was more worried he’d take a header.

So I held his bag of weed and pipe and helped him climb down, while the other 3 guys laughed their butts off that the senior guy was the one holding all the drugs.

I love Shelter Cove. I used to drive up there and hike into a surf spot called Big Flat. There were 2 unpaved airfields there. I always asked the leaseholders if I could land there but nope.

Surf season always began during the harvest season for the grows, back when weed was illegal. I got invited to some interesting parties.

It's probably a safer use of flat space than building houses, which will inevitably be sold to people who will complain about the noise.

Back