Mid-air over Denver....

Richman

JC’s Resident Curmudgeon
Cirrus and Metroliner. Everyone walked away. Cirrus popped the chute and the Metro landed at APA with a big chunk missing.

Holy crap!

1620842182956.png

ADS-B traffic looks like the Metroliner was on final for APA (from the upper left) and the Cirrus crossed onto final (from the lower left).

1620842485751.png

I recall the mighty metro being monocoque in design. You couldn't get the cargo door latch if the cargo wasn't positioned just right even with the plane being within CG because of the fuselage bow. An old freight trick was to rock the wings while someone else attempted to latch the door.

With that being said, I'm glad to see everything worked out ok.

Not sure if CAPS has ever been used as a result of a mid-air, but that's one of my biggest irrational fears motivating me to fly the -20.

ADS-B traffic looks like the Metroliner was on final for APA (from the upper left) and the Cirrus crossed onto final (from the lower left).

View attachment 59091
Wow. This is definitely not a mid air over Boulder. It looks like the midair happened within the Class D airspace of Centennial Airport (KAPA), if the Metroliner was on final for one of the 17 Runways at APA. Wonder if someone got a Runway wrong or there was a mix up of left side vs. Right side. Pretty scary.

Listened to the tower recording on LiveATC - Metro was on final for 17L with Cessna traffic on the parallel. No Cirrus on the radio at the time.
It’s APA.

Fun begins at 23:50.

FlightAware looks pretty much like your basic overshoot on base to a parallel.

KL was on a long straight in. He doesn’t know he was hit, thinks he just lost an engine.

Did the Cirrus ever come up on tower? I heard a Cessna on the parallel but no Cirrus.

Listened to the tower recording on LiveATC - Metro was on final for 17L with Cessna traffic on the parallel. No Cirrus on the radio at the time.

Did the Cirrus ever come up on tower? I heard a Cessna on the parallel but no Cirrus.

They were running split tower frequencies. The LiveATC feed is a scanner so it was locked on to only one of them.

(Long ago I used to be one of the APA LiveATC feeds. Had the same problem. Too many frequencies, not enough receivers...)

I listened to the other tower frequency. Cirrus overshot - tower asks him not to overshoot as they apparently see the chute deploy. Cirrus had called the metro in sight before that.

Holy crap!! Certainly ended up better than the last mid-air over Denver. I still remember that day all too well.

Back