Mid-air over Denver....

No TCAS systems/alerts in either of the planes?

Also, great first solo shirt for that guy in light of the happyish endings for the folks in the midair.

I highly doubt the metro had TCAS. None of the ones I flew had it.

No TCAS systems/alerts in either of the planes?

Also, great first solo shirt for that guy in light of the happyish endings for the folks in the midair.

Not required by regulation (135.180), and a freight operator isn’t going to splurge for such a luxury.

TCAS? Cargo cutout, no significant loss of life, no TCAS. Still a cargo cutout for part 117 rest rules. I remember when there was a cargo cutout for TCAS, too, in 121. That got fixed quite some time ago. IPA and ALPA pushed hard for it. Urban legend is a UPS 747 and Air Force one had a close encounter on the tracks over the Atlantic and that prompted another look at the cargo cutout.

Surprised we have not heard more about this accident from the Key Lime pilot. When did he know he been involved in a midair? I’m thinking he didn’t know until he opened the door and saw the “sun roof”.

People on the ramp must have had looks of disbelief on their faces as he taxied past.

Someone here must know a friend of a friend?
I think one of the first things you learn in the professional environment is that if something goes wrong. STFU. Any statements should be made through the union lawyer or his lawyer, if anything at all. Itll come out to the public in time when reports are issued.

TCAS? Cargo cutout, no significant loss of life, no TCAS. Still a cargo cutout for part 117 rest rules. I remember when there was a cargo cutout for TCAS, too, in 121. That got fixed quite some time ago. IPA and ALPA pushed hard for it. Urban legend is a UPS 747 and Air Force one had a close encounter on the tracks over the Atlantic and that prompted another look at the cargo cutout.

You guys are able to fly the tracks without TCAS?!

Surprised we have not heard more about this accident from the Key Lime pilot. When did he know he been involved in a midair? I’m thinking he didn’t know until he opened the door and saw the “sun roof”.

People on the ramp must have had looks of disbelief on their faces as he taxied past.

Someone here must know a friend of a friend?

Oh I’ve already spoken with people who know him personally. It ain’t about knowing people. He’s a local instructor.

As someone else said, you shut up outside of required interviews with investigators, and let the system figure it all out if you’re a professional.

I’m sure he will share a bit with friends who’ll also keep their yaps shut.

Not sure what you’re expecting to hear from him. If I got whacked by a wayward Cirrus and survived it, my response would be “no comment”.

Maybe in a year if he’s interested someone will help turn it into a nice polished safety briefing and we can all get Wings credit watching the PowerPoint slides.

Even if both aircraft has TCAS II, they were supposed to be on close parallel approaches with the controller calling traffic and one of the aircraft saying they had traffic in sight (unclear if they meant the Metro, or the Cessna on final they had just finished calling in-sight).

It does seem like a suboptimal arrangement to have two different controllers directing traffic for runways that are 700 ft apart at the centerline and where there is a lot of pattern work and student training.

It does seem like a suboptimal arrangement to have two different controllers directing traffic for runways that are 700 ft apart at the centerline and where there is a lot of pattern work and student training.

Not sure what’s suboptimal about it. Nobody’d ever get a word in on the radio if they didn’t split the frequencies.

It’s not that uncommon to have 8 or more in the pattern for the short runway and a continuous stream of jet arrivals on the long one, along with a line on the ground waiting to depart.

Even if both aircraft has TCAS II, they were supposed to be on close parallel approaches with the controller calling traffic and one of the aircraft saying they had traffic in sight (unclear if they meant the Metro, or the Cessna on final they had just finished calling in-sight).

Not sure what’s suboptimal about it. Nobody’d ever get a word in on the radio if they didn’t split the frequencies.

It’s not that uncommon to have 8 or more in the pattern for the short runway and a continuous stream of jet arrivals on the long one, along with a line on the ground waiting to depart.

Been a common thing for many decades at places like DVT and FFZ, around here. Just for the amount of traffic using each runway. Works out well, hasn’t been an issue.

Go to some USAF bases where there are three close parallel runways, with the tower controlling straight in’s and departures from the center runway, and a separate Runway Supervisory Unit (mini ground-level tower cab-looking building) controlling their own traffic on their respective inside and outside runways.

Maintain SA to your position in the pattern, where you’re going vs where you’re supposed to be going, and where traffic is, and don’t hit anyone.

Last edited:
People keep bringing up the amount of flight training at APA, was the Cirrus a student under instruction? I kind of figured it was #justcirrusdriverthings

i feel like if it was a student pilot that info would be all over the place already but I haven’t heard anything saying it was

Fair enough. I haven't done a bunch of flying out places with close parallels. I like to think it wouldn't require anything exceptional for me personally (I'm am above-average pilot, you see), so if you say separate controllers isn't a problem, I'll take your words for it.

Fair enough. I haven't done a bunch of flying out places with close parallels. I like to think it wouldn't require anything exceptional for me personally (I'm am above-average pilot, you see), so if you say separate controllers isn't a problem, I'll take your words for it.
The first thing you learn when ATC uses different frequencies on the right and left runways is...

Who listens to the ATIS and who just gets the code.

The first thing you learn when ATC uses different frequencies on the right and left runways is...

Who listens to the ATIS and who just gets the code.

that applies for single frequency ops as well. EWR landing 22R? Listen for how many people act surprised when they have the ATIS and I tell them to expect ils 22r.

that applies for single frequency ops as well. EWR landing 22R? Listen for how many people act surprised when they have the ATIS and I tell them to expect ils 22r.
Very common one when I was at Fresno. Weather on the ATIS; Sky Clear, visibility 1 mile (Ground) Fog.

(Name That Airline) 412 calls 50 miles out with the ATIS code. "Airport in sight, request a visual".

Got kind of quiet when we pointed out the airport was IFR, expect vectors to an ILS

Funny part was, tower couldn't see the end of the runway but from 18,000', 50 miles out they could see the runway.

Last edited:
Very common one when I was at Fresno. Weather on the ATIS; Sky Clear, visibility 1 mile (Ground) Fog.

(Name That Airline) 412 calls 50 miles out with the ATIS code. "Airport in sight, request a visual".

Got kind of quiet when we pointed out the airport was IFR, expect vectors to an ILS

Funny part was, tower couldn't see the end of the runway but from 18,000', 50 miles out they could see the runway.

Just had a similar event with a central Florida D airport. ATIS was 50 minutes old and said fog, I was VFR and about 8 out, but could see the entire field. I called up the tower blah blah blah 8 NW field in sight.... Tower made me orbit outside the Delta until the new ATIS was cut reflecting VMC.

Back