Mesa interview on Wed

Just the my regional is better then your regional is laughable to me.

Same goes for the "my 135 freight job is so much better than your regional job."

Everyone's situation is different and different jobs work for different people. I have done the night shift flying (while not 135 freight), and I didn't like it. It messed with my body too much. Now I'm at a regional and I love it.

If he wants to go to Mesa, then good for him, I hope it works out for him. If he wants to go freight, I hope that works out for him too.

I'm not holding my breath on when this may occur, or how much of an improvement it may be, but who will everyone bash *if* our new TA is on par with or better than other regionals?! Probably still us.

Probably, a few Mesa guys I know say its really not that bad, it's just another regional.

Whats with this regionals bashing as well? I talked to some regional FO's and they said its not as bad as "the people on the internet" make it out to be.

Probably, a few Mesa guys I know say its really not that bad, it's just another regional.

Whats with this regionals bashing as well? I talked to some regional FO's and they said its not as bad as "the people on the internet" make it out to be.

It depends on what regional you're at.

There are a lot of things that will factor into what a person thinks about their company such as...

-Do you live in base?
-If you don't, how far away from your base are you and what's the commute like?
-What are the work rules like?
-How's the pay?
-Reserve or line holder?
-Are you getting extended constantly? How does this factor in with your commute?
-Are you getting junior manned constantly? Are you stupid enough to pick up your phone?
-Are the crews you fly with cool, or a bunch of ###### bags?
-Are you going to furlough? How's morale?

It's an incredibly complex equation that folks don't want to think about. Folks want cut and dried, simple answers, but those don't exist. There are a lot of factors that go into whether you're happy at any company, whether it's in aviation or not. If those factors don't line up to give you the kind and quality of life that you're after, you're going to be miserable.

Some guys are quite happy flying their night runs at Amflight in the 99 from Burbank to Oakland every night for 7 years straight. Some guys would hang themselves if they had to do that. Some folks like the regionals, some hate them. Sometimes it depends on what company you're at.

I WILL tell you this, the whole "every regional is a giant sack of ####" argument is complete ########. ExpressJet and Air Wisky have better work rules than Airways, Northwest and Continental. We don't have anybody on these forums that's sitting on reserve in the 737 in Newark at Continental right now, but holy crap if you wanna see abused, go talk with those guys (but talk with them fast because they're all about to get furloughed). I get treated MUCH better on the Express side of things than those poor guys do.

Apparently our Negotiation Committee has reached an agreement with Management on a TA. Still has to go through the MEC and then be ratified by the entire pilot group but some of the things I saw that were interesting were:

"Modest" Pay Increase (interesting choice of words there)
Scheduled or Actual Block Pay (whichever is higher?)
Short-term (24mo) CBA

I'll be real interested to see it when it comes out. I'm hoping the min days off also go up.

Block or better is a nice improvement. . .any word on trip/duty rigs?

Would be nice, I don't know though. I don't think the list on the blastmail was comprehensive but at the same time that might be too much to ask. What I'm worried is that since this is a short term CBA that maybe they caved on stuff like this which has become mostly industry-average just in order to get some small improvements right away.

I'd rather have 10/12 min days off compared to our 8/10 right now though.

Block or better should pretty much be the #1 priority of any company that doesn't have such language right now.

But I don't know. . .the horror stories I've heard from some Mesa pilots make it seem that the company just loves paying you guys the bare minimum, even after a 14 or 16 hour duty day.

Duty/Trip rigs, and Minimum Day credit while you guys are at it. ;)

Block or better should pretty much be the #1 priority of any company that doesn't have such language right now.

But I don't know. . .the horror stories I've heard from some Mesa pilots make it seem that the company just loves paying you guys the bare minimum, even after a 14 or 16 hour duty day.

Duty/Trip rigs, and Minimum Day credit while you guys are at it. ;)

I think this is one of the only times I've agreed with you! Haha, I've got some horror stories myself. Too many times lately have they tried stretching me so close to 16 hrs. Too bad the two most recent times it bit them in the ass when flights delayed that would push me over 16, and I went home. In one instance they had to delay a flight 1.5 hrs till they could deadhead me out the next morning. Can you say shortstaffed?

With that said, I doubt we'll see trip/duty rigs in this CBA. I think block or better is mandatory, and I also like the mention of a trip guarantee, because they like to drop and reassign legs here and there, taking money from me.

As for min days off.. I can see 9 and 11, but I doubt we'll see 10 and 12. Remember, we do thirteen 28 day bid periods a year.. so 10 days off in 28 days isn't far off from 12 days off a month (depending on the month, of course.)

Eh, we'll see what happens.

Honestly? The only thing that will help ease the pain of going to Mesa is to grow a mustache. When you have a mustache you feel like a real Airline Pilot. I hear you get an automatic over ride of 33.4 percent a pay too just for looking soooo cool.

lol

I didn't like Mesa. Maybe you will think differently. Who knows? Just be forewarned of what they do, talk to those who have been there, and make a decision.

Back