Mesa interview on Wed

Anybody know how long from class to sim to IOE is right now? I know before they had some long wait times.

Here are a few questions you should ask during the interview:

1) In regards to overnights, do you recommend plywood or particle board?
2) How long before I can apply at SkyWest?
3) Do you know if the local WalMart carries hair gel?

Yesterday at ORD I observed quite a few SkyWest FO's walking out of planes with the ipod / hair gel combo. Hell, the captain on my flight was messing with this Iphone as we were waiting for passengers.

Anybody know how long from class to sim to IOE is right now? I know before they had some long wait times.

Back when I went through, we had a 3 month break, but from people I've talked to lately I think they've eliminated most of the backlog. Just talked to someone doing IOE who only had to wait a few days in between some of his training events. So it sounds like everyone's just waiting for a class, then running through training at a normal pace instead of having delays.

Just to clear one thing up......the stand-ups are still running rampant in the PHX system. You don't get that issue on the east coast bases, but on the CRJ in PHX, plan to have at least 1 or 2 nights spent sleeping for 3.3 hrs on the plane. Last I knew they had mixed stand-ups into all the lines because not enough people were bidding stand up only lines.

But, it is what it is, and you'll gain some valuable experience there, and work with some of the best folks in the business. (Minus management and crew tracking)

Just to clear one thing up......the stand-ups are still running rampant in the PHX system. You don't get that issue on the east coast bases, but on the CRJ in PHX, plan to have at least 1 or 2 nights spent sleeping for 3.3 hrs on the plane. Last I knew they had mixed stand-ups into all the lines because not enough people were bidding stand up only lines.

It's a little warm at night in PHX for that isn't it? Wow!

Yeah it would be, but it's always done at an outstation. The one in Houston sucked most because when you got there at 2am, you had to pack up, swap planes, unpack, and THEN goto bed on the plane. Yippee. At least the -900 APUs A/C works well....not like the worn out, beaten up -200s.

Hmm, I didn't realize they had that many out of PHX. We don't have that many in CLT, and the ones that we do have are actually pretty long. I'm pretty sure we don't have any that are under 4 hrs.

Back when I went through, we had a 3 month break, but from people I've talked to lately I think they've eliminated most of the backlog. Just talked to someone doing IOE who only had to wait a few days in between some of his training events. So it sounds like everyone's just waiting for a class, then running through training at a normal pace instead of having delays.

I remember talking to you and Jim @ NJC, both of you had to wait a while so I was just wondering if they fixed that yet.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Yeah it would be, but it's always done at an outstation. The one in Houston sucked most because when you got there at 2am, you had to pack up, swap planes, unpack, and THEN goto bed on the plane. Yippee. At least the -900 APUs A/C works well....not like the worn out, beaten up -200s.

Hey man, Im back in Vegas now. If this happens at LAS call me. Ide be more than happy to give you a place to stay for a few hours.

OK. Things went well today. We started with about 20 in the room, and after the ATP written test we lost 7 or 8. I was shocked. After this, I was also surprised to see so many high(er) time pilots, some with 121 experience.

As to the interview, things went well. They are talking about classes in Oct and Nov, with no delay from Indoc through ground through sim. Also told that with the exception of PHX new hires are getting a line almost immediately.

I haven't made up my mind as far as anything, if they call and offer me a slot, then I'll have to decide.

But, it is what it is, and you'll gain some valuable experience there, and work with some of the best folks in the business. (Minus management and crew tracking)

That's just sad, if this post doesn't deter you from a career at Mesa then nothing will. A company that doesn't value their work force and lets them sleep like homeless in their dirty airplanes.

Why are they hiring while everyone else is furloughing? makes one wonder does it not Jep? Lastly why did they send out all those WARN letters and how is that going to play out, thus perhaps a job at walmart might be around the corner if those are every executed....

Probably because people are running out the door faster than they can hire new people to replace them.

Congrats Patrick! Hope everything works out for you if this is the route you decide to take. And if you overnight in BFL, shoot me a PM. Beers on me.

Hey guys,
I just posted this response on the Jobs avail. I decided to repost it here too. Congrats Patrick! I was surprised too at how many guys failed the 50 ATP written.

"I'm a new hire with Mesa and I had the same fears as everyone else. The majority of people I talked to told me to stay away. I took a 60% pay cut to come here. I chose Mesa because I wanted to be based in PHX and didn't want to commute. So heres my story:

I as given the option of the Dash, CRJ or ERJ. I chose the Dash.Training was great. I was impressed with ground school. I completed my Sim training, had 3 weeks off paid. Completed IOE and put on reserve for 3 weeks. Didn't get called for 10 days!!! Now I hold a line in PHX. I've only been with the company for a few months.

The pay isn't the greatest nor the benefits but its a job. I have enough time to upgrade to captain. I'll put in my bid for that after January to get some quality 121 experience with winter ops.

All things being equal I would have chose Skywest or Republic. However, I bought a house in PHX 2 years ago and have a baby daughter. My wife and I love PHX and have family here. All regionals have crappy pay. I knew what I was getting myself into so Mesa made the best sense for me.

Good luck to all who interview. If you want a better QOL chose the Dash. Either way its a stepping stone. Get your time and move on. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. "

Hey guys,
I just posted this response on the Jobs avail. I decided to repost it here too. Congrats Patrick! I was surprised too at how many guys failed the 50 ATP written.

"I'm a new hire with Mesa and I had the same fears as everyone else. The majority of people I talked to told me to stay away. I took a 60% pay cut to come here. I chose Mesa because I wanted to be based in PHX and didn't want to commute. So heres my story:

I as given the option of the Dash, CRJ or ERJ. I chose the Dash.Training was great. I was impressed with ground school. I completed my Sim training, had 3 weeks off paid. Completed IOE and put on reserve for 3 weeks. Didn't get called for 10 days!!! Now I hold a line in PHX. I've only been with the company for a few months.

The pay isn't the greatest nor the benefits but its a job. I have enough time to upgrade to captain. I'll put in my bid for that after January to get some quality 121 experience with winter ops.

All things being equal I would have chose Skywest or Republic. However, I bought a house in PHX 2 years ago and have a baby daughter. My wife and I love PHX and have family here. All regionals have crappy pay. I knew what I was getting myself into so Mesa made the best sense for me.

Good luck to all who interview. If you want a better QOL chose the Dash. Either way its a stepping stone. Get your time and move on. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. "

Great post. Good to hear a good story coming from Mesa! :)

PHX is a great town to live in.

Michael

I will be going to the Mesa job fair tomorrow in Chicago. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Hopefully I'll get a chance to interview with my 460TT and 50ME

Just in case it hasn't been said:

Sure, all regionals have crappy pay (opinion); but all other regionals have better work rules than Mesa - which should be worth something. Along with all other regionals don't have JO leading the ship into the blackhole.

(Of course - Just my humble opinion)

nippy31, do you have prior 121 experience before Mesa? You just seem really confident about getting an upgrade after only one season worth of summer/winter flying. Upgradeitis I suppose. :)

I'd rather be flying for Mesa right now knowing I'd make at least guarantee than sitting at home looking for something bigger and better.

You don't get that issue on the east coast bases, but on the CRJ in PHX, plan to have at least 1 or 2 nights spent sleeping for 3.3 hrs on the plane. Last I knew they had mixed stand-ups into all the lines because not enough people were bidding stand up only lines.

I have no beef with any pilot that got the best job they could. How can you make it better?

Call in F-A-T-I-G-U-E-D

I know I would if I had to sleep overnight on a plane that was parked at a station.....

It is good to hear something good about Mesa. It wasn't my first choice of companies to interview at, but right now there aren't many options.

We'll see if my phone even rings with an offer....

Back