Manassas

Wilko...
No I plan to start in March or April so any info from you would GREAT!
Good luck and maybe it will see you in class at a Regional if all works out!

Best of luck!

Hey JB,
I'll definitely give you more info about HEF after I start. It looks like a good place from what I saw when I interviewed for the course. They have many of the newer 'noles and the airport is quite nice. I'll post about the apartments when I get there.

We have three Seminoles and a Cessna at Manassas. About 95% of the time they're 2000 model Seminoles. Occasionally we'll get a '79 for a couple weeks. If you train here you probably won't fly a '79 until you go on cross-countries. In Florida it's generally the other way around. However, the transition between the two is pretty easy, they are the same airplane basically. There's three instructors here so there's rarely aircraft availability issues unless we're having maintenance problems with one of the airplanes (which does happen, they are airplanes afterall).

The apartments aren't too bad... look at Apartments.com in the 20109 zip code and look for Carlyle Station. We have four 2 bed / 2 bath apartments there. They're not the best, but they're better than Atlanta's apartments for sure, which seemed a little run down. There's a lot of families in Carlyle Station so there are kids running around on the sidewalks but they're never loud at night or anything. There's a pool (for summer time) and a decent workout room with a couple of treadmills, bikes, and a few pieces of weight equipment (no free-weights). The commute is 6.3 miles from airport to apartments with no highways. The Washington traffic is never encountered on that route and all the grocery stores and any other place to shop you would want is along the way on 234 Business. The drive can be between 15 and 25 minutes depending on how you hit the traffic lights. I've had some good runs where I made it in about 11 minutes. Hope that helps.

Hey Sodbuster,
Are you an instructor at HEF? I'll be starting there on Jan. 30 so perhaps I'll see you.

Yes, I am an instructor here. I'll see you when you start. If you have any more questions about the location or anything else I'll be checking this thread so I can give you answers to the best of my knowledge. There'll be two more career students starting in the second week of February; not sure if they're 90-day or 10-month.

Hey Sodbuster,
Excellent and thanks for the offer, if I think of anything I'll post here or IM you if that's ok. So am I the only student starting on Jan. 30? What does that mean in terms of having a flight partner? How many people are currently training there? Hmm, might there be a chance I'll have my own room then? :D
I'm very excited about the program and look forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks.
Mark

Wilko ... I'll be TDY when you start but still able to make it home on the weekends to meet up ... also I'm in a flying club with a Warrior tied down on the same ramp/rows as ATPs Seminoles so perhaps I'll see you guys jumping in or out.

SODBUSTER..... Thanks a lot for that info thats what I needed. I know the apartments and the area well... I have a friend who flies at Colgan and he is based at HEF. Those apartments aren't to bad at all! Just a quick question in the 90 day program do you fly 7 days a week or 5 with weekends off?
Thanks again!

JBUCREW said:
Just a quick question in the 90 day program do you fly 7 days a week or 5 with weekends off?
Thanks again!

free hint: the 90 day program is completed in 90 days, not 126.

and more on point, some weeks it'll seem like you did very little flying, and some weeks it'll seem like you couldnt possibly do more. Dont worry about it, and just be ready to work 7 days a week, whether it is on flight, sim, ground or written tests.

Wilko said:
So am I the only student starting on Jan. 30?
Yes, so far you're the only one scheduled to start on the 30th.

Wilko said:
How many people are currently training there?
There's about 1 or 2 add-on folks a week. You'll have minimal interaction with them since they're here to get in, fly, pass their checkride, and get out. However, once the other two Career students start you'll have other students to study with and what not.

Wilko said:
What does that mean in terms of having a flight partner?
Most people tend to swap cross-country partners a number of times. I did have one guy that I did 95% of my cross-countries with and that was cool, but constantly switching gives you a good idea of what the airlines are like since you don't always fly with the same crew.

Wilko said:
Hmm, might there be a chance I'll have my own room then? :D
Your own room? Hell, until those other two career students start you'll probably have your own apartment! We'll have to see if anyone else schedules before then, but I wouldn't worry about being elbow-to-elbow with roommates.

JBUCREW said:
Just a quick question in the 90 day program do you fly 7 days a week or 5 with weekends off?
Thanks again!

As Casey mentioned there's no dedicated days off. That being said, you will have some downtime in there and maybe even full days off depending on how prepared you are when you come and how useful you make your downtime (that means study a lot). When I was here I had time to go to the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Center at Dulles twice and spend the whole day there, and I managed to finish in 85 days. As long as you study the program doesn't seem that incredibly fast. If you dwaddle along, well then it'll suck.

Again, touching on Casey's post, sometimes it'll seem like you're doing nothing and wasting time in the first week or two because you have this expectation of everything being jammed down your throat. Once you start to get a feeling of the pace this goes away quickly.

If you're one of those guys who will know everything you need to know for your instrument when you show up, it'll really seem slow for the first month because it's a review.

Here's a tip: Read that Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial Manual and do every quiz at the end of each chapter, then grade yourself and correct mistakes. I did that before I started and my instrument was a breeze. Plus, it gives you time to study all the stuff that students miss because they're playing catch-up on instrument knowledge after procrastinating for 3 weeks.

Just remember the 6 P's of flying (and everything else in life):
Perfect Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

Live by that and you'll never fail a checkride.

Casey and SOD..... thanks for all the help!

free hint: the 90 day program is completed in 90 days, not 126.

"I now see how stupid that question was" :)

Later guys
thanks again!

Hey Sodbuster,
Thanks a million for the info. I look forward to starting! Do you know who my instructor will be?

Wilko said:
Do you know who my instructor will be?

I can't say for sure. I'm the add-on guy so it probably won't be me unless I switch to career pilots. It'll be one of the other two instructors and one of those guys is going for an interview at ExpressJet on Wednesday. It would most likely be him or his replacement if he gets the job.

Back