Man Dragged off United Flight

Hey Congress, if this is any business of yours, then it should be defending the private property rights of the organization that owned that airplane. Otherwise, sod off.

Or re regulate. Otherwise we get what we bargained for in 1978. Literally. The modern American air transportation system is exactly what was for better or worse foreseen and warned of 40 years ago.

Either re regulate or sod off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the perfect TMAAT/if you were Captain question
Correct answer in UA interview:
flying-elbow.jpg

One week from now, all these social media hero's will be posting another worthless story. UAL's stock will be back by the end of the quarter, no one will remember or care. If you were a smart investor, you'd buy discounted UAL stock. Do you really think UAL's stock isn't going to go back up in a few weeks?
I think the answer to that is fluid, this is a situation unlike any other we've seen. The outrage was pretty universal and massive. Almost every other airline snafu has lasted half a news cycle and faded. I doubt you can find people that will say management of United post-merger has been anything that entices investor enthusiasm. This isn't leggings this was videotaped explicit assault to facilitate a corporation's mismanagement of their airline. It was the apex of everything everyone hates about current travel condensed into one incident.

I can't buy airline stock but I am not sure I would see much value in united rebounding in any meaningful way anytime soon. Because why United over something less toxic?

HUGE reaction over in China over this. 100 million angry tweets from them. United says that is their biggest market too. Yea...about that.

I think a lot of people are downplaying this as "oh the general public will just forget" but this is a bigger reaction then I have ever seen.

I won't fly them. Easy as that.

I don't know the whole situation but if United/Republic all of a sudden got 4 must rides after everyone was boarded, is it legal for them to start kicking revenue passengers off?

I don't know the whole situation but if United/Republic all of a sudden got 4 must rides after everyone was boarded, is it legal for them to start kicking revenue passengers off?

Sure, it is their airplane - they can kick off anyone they like. Now, those passengers are also totally within their rights to sue United as well. There is a contract between the two parties, after all.

Yes.

Can't even remember how many times on GDP days at SFO I had a fully boarded Brasilia then 3 crew would come up for a last-minute must-ride deadhead to take the plane out in the morning from the outstation because the crew who was supposed to got stuck elsewhere or something like that. Anything over 26 pax on the Bro, unless there were a lot of kids, was probably a weight restriction. This often lead to 2-3 volunteers being called on, you know, from the P/A as I stand in the aisle, and if that didn't work...GTFO next flight to Chico is at 8AM. It sucked, but I have to admit I was pretty good at pitching the compensation("you don't even need to take the first flight, take a hotel room in downtown SF and spend the whole day if you want") and it didn't always matter. Sometimes everyone has a reason to be on that plane and needs to stay on it.

I'm sure this event is covered in the fine print, and it was non-negotiable when I was a gate agent. Must ride=Must Ride, and #1 on the list for IDB(involuntary denied boarding) is the first to get off (UNLESS they are a UM or handicapped) Period. At UA anyway.

Folks even Sean Spicer says Hitler didn't even resort to that level of violence after passengers had been boarded.

I wish I was that guy. That man is probably going to get millions upon millions from United now for a simple non-disclosure agreement. All it took is a bloody mouth and being drug down an aisle. Lucky sob lol.
Yes. I'm sure he some law dogs scratching at his door.

Forgot the sarcasm tag, but in the end I think United immediately prior merger was likely set to be the airline to follow and sadly was derailed in the chaos and post merger management incompetence. Fastair, employee empowerment, pride all actively targeted by Lorenzo protégés seemingly working to eliminate any esprit de corps in any employee group.

Regardless, I think it's taking it a bit to far to say this is indicative of a top down culture problem, seems like Munoz was making progress there. I've seen nonsense where people are actually writing editorials alluding this is the symptom of the reason we don't have a successful single payer healthcare system or empowered labor movements.

I just am not ready to call this a vast cultural indictment.

It's simply bad optics, there is a contract of carriage, an employee likely feeling they ran out of options followed a manual of policies which led to the police being called, who may have overreacted. Thing is, had the passenger simply obeyed a lawful request, either by the agent or subsequently police, to leave the aircraft we wouldn't be talking about it right now. Seems every airline in the country could have been in this spot, and United ended up with the short straw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, but you can draw vast contrasts between United's culture and that of Southwest. I know Gary Kelly on a loosely personal basis - as in he'd remember who I was if he saw me. I've had drinks with him, he's shot the * with my wife, and I've listened to him serenade a group of strangers with a guitar. I was at Southwest HQ last Monday - as I was walking up to their offices, a 10 year old Honda Civic pulls up, and out pops Colleen Barrett. That's right, the former CEO of a Fortune 200 company still shows up to work each day after her friend drops her off in a Civic. I'm familiar with not only how they communicate their brand, but how they operate in defense of their brand. It's not made up - the heart actually means something.

I'm convinced United's stock took a dip today not because of the event, but because of their CEO's comments, which made it abundantly clear that he's either incredibly detached, or has a really craptastic PR team.

You might be right on their motives, but I have no problem with well crafted laws to hold corporations accountable and to insure they act ethically. United screwed up big time, their CEO doubled down in the most insensitive, legalese way and now they can feel some of the pain. There has been too much abuse like at Wells Fargo (that was pretty much industry wide) and the average person is sick of it. The costs will ultimately be passed along to the customer, but I don't like what the race to the cheapest fares has done to the industry as both a frequent flyer and a professional pilot. The majors have some big time competition headed their way and if they don't get some capable management their quick it'll hurt more in the long run.
Have you not noticed who gets invited to the White House for advice on what policies get created? Corporations have run this country for a very long time. Every CEO in America is now the head of gov't in all key positions. EPA is one example.

More then that. Southwest's social media pages are literally filling with comments of how much people love them, simply because they aren't United. Its amazing to watch

I think the answer to that is fluid, this is a situation unlike any other we've seen. The outrage was pretty universal and massive. Almost every other airline snafu has lasted half a news cycle and faded. I doubt you can find people that will say management of United post-merger has been anything that entices investor enthusiasm. This isn't leggings this was videotaped explicit assault to facilitate a corporation's mismanagement of their airline. It was the apex of everything everyone hates about current travel condensed into one incident.

I can't buy airline stock but I am not sure I would see much value in united rebounding in any meaningful way anytime soon. Because why United over something less toxic?
Agreed, but on your last part, WE as pilots don't see value most of the time. We think too much like pilots and not like investors.

HUGE reaction over in China over this. 100 million angry tweets from them. United says that is their biggest market too. Yea...about that.

I think a lot of people are downplaying this as "oh the general public will just forget" but this is a bigger reaction then I have ever seen.

I won't fly them. Easy as that.
What if you wanted to go LAX to ORD and they dropped fares to $89? AA wants $536 roundtrip. You wouldn't do it?

If you want the answer to that question, go look up an old interview of Spirits former CEO who was asked about all the customers he's losing due to poor service. They found that most of the people that said they wouldn't book again actually did. Price being the decision maker. Price dictates EVERYTHING. What people say they will do in public vs what they do in private is completely opposite. It reminds me of my cheap cousin. ALWAYS approaches me with a business idea that he's 1000% going to do, does he ever actually do it? Nope. General public are all talk.

Back