Malaysia airlines emergency landing (hong kong)

He is the company rep in the safety department.

Was my first phone call from anyone for an ASAP in 6.5 years.

"We will consider that your one freebie" was what he told me.

@Seggy

First I'm not going to post on a public forum what I really think about him but it isn't very nice. His behavior across numerous fronts is the reasons why unions are needed to protect employees.

Secondly, did you email/contact the MEC about that call?

Last edited:
First I'm not going to post on a public forum what I really think about him but it isn't very nice. His behavior across numerous fronts is the reasons why unions are needed to protect employees.

Secondly, did you email/contact the MEC about that call?

No I was getting ready for the ATP ride so I was busy. As an aside, good thing to hear right before going in for that.

The CA I flew with got his CT call 7-8 months after the ASAP filing. Heh.

Technically... no. Look up commutator. And rectifier.
I knew what you were getting at. Chances are the plane uses an AC generator and from there turns it into DC. But my point was that yes, turning a DC motor's shaft will produce DC current. Of course I *highly doubt* the engineers installed DC motors on the plane to produce DC power directly.

Here's a "home grown" DC generator using a DC motor:
http://mdpub.com/generator/

Other than that I'm lost on what you are getting at. I'm not the biggest electrical guru out there so I'm welcome to some 'splaining.

Last edited:
I knew what you were getting at. Chances are the plane uses an AC generator and from there turns it into DC. But my point was that yes, turning a DC motor's shaft will produce DC current. Of course I *highly doubt* the engineers installed DC motors on the plane to produce DC power directly.

Here's a "home grown" DC generator using a DC motor:
http://mdpub.com/generator/

Other than that I'm lost on what you are getting at. I'm not the biggest electrical guru out there so I'm welcome to some 'splaining.
My point is it is impossible, literally(as in within the laws of physics), to spin something and produce DC current, DC meaning direct current and all. If it's called a DC motor/generator, what it really is, is an AC motor/generator with a commutator(split rings) or a rectifier.
I think this gives a great simple explanation with images and the second one has animations.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/comtat.html
http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/electricmotors.html
I just don't like the term DC generator, because people think it means it actually generates DC current(I guess you could call a battery a DC generator). I was told in my last ground school that alternators produce AC and generators produce DC. *Facepalm*

Last edited:
Air Fronce!

Air France Flight 030, a Boeing 747-128, F-BPVD, was a scheduled passenger flight which originated at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport at 1820L, on August 17, 1970/ Its destination was Orly Airport, Paris, France, with an intermediate scheduled stop at Montreal, P.Q., Canada. At departure from Montreal, 174 revenue passengers, two infants, and a crew of 17 were aboard the flights.

The flight from Chicago to Montreal was normal in every respect. The takeoff from Montreal at 2226 was routine; however, approximately 9 minutes after takeoff, at 2235 at an altitude of 5,600 feet MSL, a separation of the second-state turbine disk rim of the No. 3 engine occurred, and pieces penetrated and ruptured the high-pressure turbine case and associated engine cowling. The separation of the turbine disk rim resulted in a localized fire in the upper forward portions of No. 3 engine.

Although there was no perceptible physical evidence of further fire on the inboard side of the engine, there was some apprehension about jettisoning fuel to attain the specified landing weight. Because of this, as an alternate means for redusing the airplane's weight to the maximum allowable for landing, the flight was diverted to John F. Kennedy International Airport at New York. Flight 030 proceeded to John F. Kennedy International Airport at an assigned cruising altitude of 18,000 feet MSL, at 280 knots indicated airspeed. At 0004, the aircraft was landed safely and the passengers were deplaned at the terminal.

No, our fleet manager sucks. I got a call from him saying I was not allowed to fly at any cruise speed without asking dispatch, despite our maneuvers and profiles section stating there are 3 approved cruise profiles.

Sometimes there isn't more to the story...

Next time ATC issues you a speed restriction other than what the "Fleet Manager" insists that you fly, inform them that you are unable to comply due to a management directive. Then, offer his phone number up in case they have any questions. When he eventually calls you on it, tell him proudly that you are doing exactly what he told you to do. Oh, then thank him for being a great example to the pilot group and ask very very subtly if he would mind you mentioning to all your friends at the legacy carriers what a great guy he is? I mean, just trying to help him out with his career goals... right?

Back