Lots of Questions....

Ben_Crown

Hello everyone - new user and looking for some answers; hopefully you can help.

I've been reading the forums as an unregistered user for quite some time now and have been very confused by all the different opinions on the best way to receive flight training. A little background on myself - I'm 26, got my license when I was 17 and decided to go through a traditional university for a college degree. Unfortunately, I got side-tracked and have been working in the Public Relations field for the last 5 years (which is fun, but it's not flying). SO - I've just gone out on a limb, quit my job, got financing for flight training and have committed to spending several months building my ratings (need COMM/Multi/CFI).

Here's my problem: I almost committed to going to TABExpress, but got scared when I went for a visit and no one would accurately answer my questions such as "what's the point of SIC time in a King Air and do you ever get PIC time," "how many students graduate the program and of those, how many are hired by a regional," "what is the guarantee that I will get the cost of my training refunded," etc. There were no clear answers and I wasn't about to drop $90K for a program that couldn't give me straight answers.

I finally decided to just go the tradional FBO route for now, but there is no guarantee that I will get a time-building job when I'm done. Other than instructing (which who knows if I can even get hired...), what else can newly-rated commerical pilots do to build-up hours?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated - all I know for certain is that I've made a really tough decision to drastically change my career and style of living and I want to make sure that I'm on the right track.

Thanks in advance!
spin2.gif

It will take a lot of networking to get jobs with just a Comm. SE, but it can be done. Traffic watch, Glider towing, Aerial Photography, Aerial Survey and taking skydivers up are just a few of the options I can think of. You have to get yourself known at your local GA airport to get these kinds of jobs most of the time.

Dude, I kinda like and hate the avatar. I never flew that 152 (aka Air Orlando's "flying banner",) but that hurricane totally derailed my flight training. I assume from the TAB Express thing that you're in Orlando. You're pretty much neck and neck with me. I'm working on my CSEL/CMEL/CFI at Air Orlando right now.

As far as what can newly minted Comm students do to get a job other than CFIs? Well, there's banner towing, but I'd leave FL as most of the guys here have turned into PFT banner towing. If you dig you might be able to find a traffic watch job. Problem is that most insurance companies want somewhere b/w 300-500 TT for a job. CFI is probably the way to go, and there are TONS of jobs out there. You just have to be willing to move around to get one. I'd love to stay on and instruct at Air Orlando, but if I can't get one there, I'm going to move wherever I CAN get a job.

Why do you suppose TAB didn't just tell you what you wanted to hear? I'm surprised you were able to get a bad vibe out of them.

Anyhow. I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a CFI job and instructing is a great way to become a better pilot yourself....but that wasn't your question.

I know a guy who got a VFR135 job up here in WA state at 500 total flying single engine Cessna's. He built his time up to that point by flying the 152 I bought across the country, he had access to an old Piper Tripacer for gas, and he instructed some. Buying your own Cessna 150 to putt around in might not be a bad idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, I kinda like and hate the avatar. I never flew that 152 (aka Air Orlando's "flying banner",)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kell, I found it here - http://molter.antville.org/?day=20040916

Brings back memories, huh?

It's popped up now and there on other forums as well.

Back to the post...Coming from a PR background, do you know of any firms that have an aircraft, or any where you could convince them an aircraft is a good alternative (preferable a twin
smile.gif
. A few buddies have gone that way and its worked out for them.

~wheelsup

[ QUOTE ]
Kell, I found it here - http://molter.antville.org/?day=20040916

Brings back memories, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I recognize about five planes on the flight line now, and that's it. There's even a Riddle bird at Air Orlando now. It's a 172R 180hp, and it still has the eagle and invasion stripes on it.

It was not so long ago that I was in your shoes thinking of the best way to build time. Luckily I had some extra cash from other things going on in my previous life so buying time was an option. I looked and listened to the folks on this site and low and behold I took the advice of many, I became a CFI. I didn't know what I was looking for in being a CFI other than time building but now that I am cresting the 1000hr mark I can tell you it was experience.

There is virtually no way for a person to come from a Commercial rating and have enough knowledge about avation that will make them hireable or safe. The CFI route is certainly a long route with many hardships but it is one that is tried and true.

I highly recommend not looking for a way to build time other than becoming a teach of the thing you love. A mentor in my previous life told me that no one learns a thing in a presentation except for the presenter. I believe him now more than ever. If you become a CFI you won't regret it. It is highly rewarding and it is an incredible experience. You will learn all you need to know to be hireable by a Regional too, if you apply yourself.

From my perspective now, if I had towed banners or patrolled pipelines, I would have robbed myself of the best aviation experience i have had yet, and that is to really learn what it is I am talking about.

Good luck

I know people that did Tab and I see them at the same career seminars as me trying to get a job. I thought the origianl price was 50K. So they have gone up to 90K. I can't imagine dropping cash like that. Get the CFI and hit a 141 Univ. There are a lot of students with cash who are trying to get a letter grade and a career going at the same time. I fly about as much as i want to now.

Back