Looking for Cae sim instructor job prep pointers

Cavok89

Hi all

Anyone here has any experience interviewing for or working at CAE as SFI. I have applied for the gig and looking for suggestions on any reading material to prepare for it.
I am a 737 airline capt. With no instructing experience. 6600 hrs total.

Thanks

Hi all

Anyone here has any experience interviewing for or working at CAE as SFI. I have applied for the gig and looking for suggestions on any reading material to prepare for it.
I am a 737 airline capt. With no instructing experience. 6600 hrs total.

Thanks
Every program is like its own kingdom and will be different. When I worked there, I had to do a 5 minute presentation on whatever I wanted, aviation related, and teach it to the program manager. It was pretty laid back. It will take you a month or two to actually start working. You’ll do initial, and then shadow other instructors, then do supervised teaching, then you’re on your own.

I had no instruction experience and, although my time was considerably more, I don’t think that mattered when I interviewed at FSI. They sent me a Ppt and I had to deliver a lesson from it. They hired me on the spot, so I guess I passed!

Every program is like its own kingdom and will be different. When I worked there, I had to do a 5 minute presentation on whatever I wanted, aviation related, and teach it to the program manager. It was pretty laid back. It will take you a month or two to actually start working. You’ll do initial, and then shadow other instructors, then do supervised teaching, then you’re on your own.
Thanks. This helps.

Get a nice woolen sweater. You'll need that. I think I'm gonna open up a fashion line geared towards old guy sim instructors. It'll be like professional look PJs. Accessory line will include reusable plastic silverware, suitable for microwave oven meals, that can fit into the waist band of your cozy pants (where you can also stash a cliff bar, or various other vending machine treats)

If you have flight experience, a pulse, and a willingness to do this job, you’re already over qualified! As long as you don’t set the building on fire giving your presentation, you’ll be hired!

Expect at least two-three months of waiting, attending classes, waiting, practicing your presentation, waiting, watching other instructors, waiting, and then teaching on your own.

You can make it a career but you’ll need a LOT of patience, more so dealing with management than customers. If you excel, you’ll be recognized and you’ll move up; the other instructors will shun you as a brown-noser, but it’s jealousy driven. Ignore it and move on.

As for your presentation, pick something from left field. Make it an original…don’t talk about basic aerodynamics, flaps, etc.

Enjoy the experience!

P.S. Bring a jacket…

Teaching is different than operating an airplane. It requires a new skill set. Not all pilots make good teachers. Not all teachers make good pilots either. Just know, it's a lot different than operating an airplane. It requires more study and mastery than just that required to safely operate an aircraft or just show up to fly one. It's requires double the work if you have no seat time in that aircraft. But, if you still hold a medical flying on days off is a HUGE plus. Fly when you WANT to, not when you HAVE to, right? It's easy to "cross pollinate" information which is to the detriment of the students' understanding. But don't worry, with enough experience and time you pick things up along the way just like everything else.

Finally. We are in the glorious 21st century which requires a large level of knowledge and applicational use of using a computer. Especially so in the learning environment with 21st century classroooms and a younger generation of pilots accustomed to those tools. Know how cloud computing works, how to effortlessly go full screen, change screens, use animations etc. Your younger colleagues may help with this, but don't treat them like they'll just do the work for you if you can't hang. It's a lot of computer/office type skills.

Your classroom presentation should not be dull and reading off powerpoint bullet points. Challenge yourself to include NTSB reports, relevant knowledge and info from the manufacturer, FAA SAFO's, etc. Engage your audience, they're there for 8hrs. Walk in their shoes. And finally, PREPARATION IS KEY. A good example of excellent presenters is Steve Jobs. One of the best!

Teaching is a lot. If you're not mentally exhausted by the end of your shift, you're either not doin it right, or not doin it at all. WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!

It's a great job, and you're home every night. I've been doing it for nearly a decade now. The mostly stress-free life of being at home is worth more than the airline pay check to me. But that's just me. You'll feel job fulfillment when you get a crew who's been coming in for 20 odd years and they can't thank you enough for going the extra mile to show them something new that they can take with them. Positive feedback from the FAA, Or a younger pilot who looks to you as one of their mentors because you took the time to help them understand something that no one else bothered to. Finally, there's moving up the chain to have an impact on training new instructors for the company. If you like to teach, and appreciate having an impact in this industry that is more than just flying A to B, this is the perfect job! Oh and you have a $20 MIL video game to play with on occasion with the coolest tech in the industry to play with too.

Last edited:
Back