Life at Compass

the starting it during fueling isn't even the worst issue. The other day in SMF, it was 106 degrees, 30 minute turn. Im at the bottom of the jetbrige, outbound captain shuts down APU with me standing there. We get in, I go to crank it up....APU Fail.... and for what??? A little common sense would've gone a long way.

I will do as most other Captains should do and that is to have some forward thinking. Because the book says to to do this does not make it the most common sense "thing". Think outside the box. Since you don't work here anymore I don't expect you to know but we have many APU deferrals due to failed starts and that has to do with an aging fleet and multiple starts/stops of the APU.

The fleet has been busted for longer than a few months. You're right that I didn't see too many deferred APU's, but if the thing dies the thing dies. If the FADEC takes a crap, it won't matter if it's during the start sequence or while the thing is chugging away.

Funny story. Once a captain sent his FO to meet us as soon as we opened the door, to tell me to shut down the APU. You know telling me when to run the APU on my ship. Any guesses who that captain was? Starts with a J and ends in a Train609.

Sure, you're probably right, though I normally did my own dirty work.

It's really pretty simple. If you're there and you want it on, I'll leave it on. If you're not down at the plane or waiting in the jet bridge by the front doors, it's getting turned off. Man, people will find anything to b*^<h about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really pretty simple. If you're there and you want it on, I'll leave it on. If you're not down at the plane or waiting in the jet bridge by the front doors, it's getting turned off. Man, people will find anything to b*^<h about.

The majority don't have this line of thought, sadly.

I can't seem to find it now, but I remember the AOM stating that an APU can not be left running unattended. So if no one is there, yes it's getting shut down. If the next crew is right there, I'll leave it up especially if environmentally necessary.

I understand the concept of saving fuel, and I'll do that when appropriate. It's far more important to have comfortable passengers than save a couple dollars on gas, in the long run this is probably more economically beneficial as well. If they're boarding a hot airplane, they'll be more irritable and probably tell all their friends about what crappy experience they had.

This is really the only objective, non overly touchy way of doing it. If someone has a problem with this way they are free to fume at my perky butt as it skips on up the jetbridge carrying me on with my life. Fortunately....see my reply to middies below...

The majority don't have this line of thought, sadly.
Fortunately I've not run into these people. I've never once had someone get bent out of shape. Of course that is to my face. It completely possible I handed a plane over to someone without a running APU who ran straight to the the two compass forums.

Who's responsible if the thing takes a dump or catches fire while unattended?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Historically the crew who was negligent in it's operation and failed to shut it down. That means the crew who left it.

I can't seem to find it now, but I remember the AOM stating that an APU can not be left running unattended. So if no one is there, yes it's getting shut down. If the next crew is right there, I'll leave it up especially if environmentally necessary.

I understand the concept of saving fuel, and I'll do that when appropriate. It's far more important to have comfortable passengers than save a couple dollars on gas, in the long run this is probably more economically beneficial as well. If they're boarding a hot airplane, they'll be more irritable and probably tell all their friends about what crappy experience they had.

So you guy's can't leave an attended APU? That sucks. At my shop, we can, for up to 2 hours, as long as dispatch has been notified its running.

Yo mama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eJL5y7b.jpg

So you guy's can't leave an attended APU? That sucks. At my shop, we can, for up to 2 hours, as long as dispatch has been notified its running.

There are procedures in the supplemental section of AOMI for leaving the APU running unattended. The Alaska flying guide also requires the APU to be left on.

Back