Life at Compass

It's bs but it looks like it's just supposed to be to add one engine cycle if GA thrust is used as opposed to two for max. That said, I'm sure our unstable approach rate is going to go up.

It's bs but it looks like it's just supposed to be to add one engine cycle if GA thrust is used as opposed to two for max. That said, I'm sure our unstable approach rate is going to go up.

As with much in last year, I'm just amazed at such a colossal shift in culture it is; the no fault go around used to be an item of great pride by management.

As with much in last year, I'm just amazed at such a colossal shift in culture it is; the no fault go around used to be an item of great pride by management.
Maybe that was before your time but we used to have to write a report for every go around. I believe the safety department was the one that axed that because data showed more unstable approaches in an effort not to fill out the report. I'm sure @Nick can expand more on that since that was one of his projects.

Maybe that was before your time but we used to have to write a report for every go around. I believe the safety department was the one that axed that because data showed more unstable approaches in an effort not to fill out the report. I'm sure @Nick can expand more on that since that was one of his projects.

I'm not OG Compass, but I do know Nick.

Quick PSA. Nothing grinds my gears more than a crew shutting down an APU when they KNOW it's a 30 minute turn, ESPECIALLY during these next couple months. New crew gets on and now they are fueling so you can't start the APU while the cabin temp climbs rapidly. Also the more you turn it on and off, especially Delta birds, the more they fail.

Please stop turning off the APU. Thanks...

Quick PSA. Nothing grinds my gears more than a crew shutting down an APU when they KNOW it's a 30 minute turn, ESPECIALLY during these next couple months. New crew gets on and now they are fueling so you can't start the APU while the cabin temp climbs rapidly. Also the more you turn it on and off, especially Delta birds, the more they fail.

Cold dark cockpit, every time.

MX write up on my commute today for go-around... slight delay, confusion. It begins.

Yes, its not time yet. But it ended up in the book anyways.

That's cool, but, what does the FOM say?

AOM I 3-7-34:
"The APU may remain on if needed for environmental reasons..."

Exactly.

So @middies10 can do a few things:

1. Allow the previous captain be a captain and use his judgement about when to run the APU on his ship.

2. @middies10 can delay boarding until the cabin is cool enough to board. It requires a call to dispatch, and an ASAP/crew report is helpful in this situation, because...

3. If enough captains act like captains and delay enough flights, then maybe the company will get rid of this insane rule that you can't shut down or start the APU while fueling. It's not an aircraft limitation, it's a Compass limitation as far as I know.

Exactly.

So @middies10 can do a few things:

1. Allow the previous captain be a captain and use his judgement about when to run the APU on his ship.

2. @middies10 can delay boarding until the cabin is cool enough to board. It requires a call to dispatch, and an ASAP/crew report is helpful in this situation, because...

3. If enough captains act like captains and delay enough flights, then maybe the company will get rid of this insane rule that you can't shut down or start the APU while fueling. It's not an aircraft limitation, it's a Compass limitation as far as I know.

I will do as most other Captains should do and that is to have some forward thinking. Because the book says to to do this does not make it the most common sense "thing". Think outside the box. Since you don't work here anymore I don't expect you to know but we have many APU deferrals due to failed starts and that has to do with an aging fleet and multiple starts/stops of the APU.

Back