Life at Compass

Not enough bodies on the ops side. One agent for two gates. Airplanes waiting for FORTY minutes for a push crew. Having the fueler show up ten minutes PAST departure time. Mayhem in the alleys. Surly ground controllers and that was just one afternoon for me. It appears that the smartest and the brightest didn't account for the fact if you are going to have more gates you are going to need more people. Quite comical actually.
Hell that's just Tuesday at SFO....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am getting back into flying for a living now that my kids are grown up. I live near SMF so was looking at compass as a good option with a relatively simple commute to LAX or SEA (compared to going to MSP when I was at Mesaba in 08-09). Looks like hiring is starting back up, I'm wondering for those of you at Compass what movement is looking like, how long it could take to get off reserve, commutability for the kind of flying you do, etc. Thanks!

I am getting back into flying for a living now that my kids are grown up. I live near SMF so was looking at compass as a good option with a relatively simple commute to LAX or SEA (compared to going to MSP when I was at Mesaba in 08-09). Looks like hiring is starting back up, I'm wondering for those of you at Compass what movement is looking like, how long it could take to get off reserve, commutability for the kind of flying you do, etc. Thanks!

Great time to get back into flying! Things are starting to move once again at Compass after about 6-7 months of stagnation. Upgrades are up to 16/month depending on attrition. Our attrition is very high for our size and will only increase as UA and AA ramp up hiring later this year. SMF LAX would be very easy although there are a ton of commuters that do that route. The bright side for you is that between our AA and DL operation we have close to 10 flights a day on company metal. Commutability of the trips really varies. We do have quite a few trips with one leg late starts and some trips with one leg early morning finishes. Usually not combined though. Reserve is tough to crack right now. Sitting somewhere around 9 months but I'm thinking that will slowly begin to fall as upgrades pick up. I'll let someone else tackle the topic.

Compass needs to hire to cover our attrition and to be honest our pay package and company outlook aren't as good as some others. I think we will soon be seeing an increase in FO pay and some bonuses that they are already doing at Gojets and TSA.

Great info, just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Great time to get back into flying! Things are starting to move once again at Compass after about 6-7 months of stagnation. Upgrades are up to 16/month depending on attrition. Our attrition is very high for our size and will only increase as UA and AA ramp up hiring later this year. SMF LAX would be very easy although there are a ton of commuters that do that route. The bright side for you is that between our AA and DL operation we have close to 10 flights a day on company metal. Commutability of the trips really varies. We do have quite a few trips with one leg late starts and some trips with one leg early morning finishes. Usually not combined though. Reserve is tough to crack right now. Sitting somewhere around 9 months but I'm thinking that will slowly begin to fall as upgrades pick up. I'll let someone else tackle the topic.

Compass needs to hire to cover our attrition and to be honest our pay package and company outlook aren't as good as some others. I think we will soon be seeing an increase in FO pay and some bonuses that they are already doing at Gojets and TSA.

Wondering if anybody knows what the company is going to do with the SLIP positions and the MSP base. The listing states that pilots are considered "based in MSP". What happens when the base closes? Are pilots going to be afforded per diem along with hotel rooms? Knowing TSH, I'm sure they'll try to figure out a work around this. Here's to hoping the union is ready for this and will battle for the instructors.

Wondering if anybody knows what the company is going to do with the SLIP positions and the MSP base. The listing states that pilots are considered "based in MSP". What happens when the base closes? Are pilots going to be afforded per diem along with hotel rooms? Knowing TSH, I'm sure they'll try to figure out a work around this. Here's to hoping the union is ready for this and will battle for the instructors.
Then MW will just threaten the ones who want to leave the training dept to go back to the line with insubordination/termination.

Last edited:
Then MW will just threaten the ones who want to leave the training dept to go back to the line with insubordination/termination.

It was brought up during the conference call yesterday. Hotel rooms and per diem would be provided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if we get any wellness discounts with our health insurance? Looking at not being a fat ass anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! What's the DOH of the most junior skipper now?

I was hired 2 years and a few days ago, so it'll have been a 25 month upgrade for me (not bad). However, the most junior CA are way way below me, hire date being about a year and a half. Because they bypassed. So, I don't know what recruiting is saying for upgrade time, I did notice they mentioned the "most junior captain" being a 18 month hire, but that doesn't really realistically reflect upgrade time, which is going to continue to slightly rise until the backfill basically of people who didn't have their 1000 hours when upgrade when really junior. And then drop incredibly again if it ever gets below the line of people who don't have 1000. (Which it could, since December hires probably haven't held a line and have barely flown over the past 6 months, but will all of a sudden move up 120 numbers out of 700 before the end of the year... they aren't gonna be anywhere near 1000.)
So I think the answer is that "absolutely nobody knows how it'll go down. Somebody with no time will probably upgrade not too longer after getting their 1000 or right at 1000. Someone who already has their 1000 hours could upgrade in a year or much, much longer depending on how things go here..."

Good thing Rainmaker is running so flawlessly. Let me see, missing about 30 hours with zero response from payroll and no updates from anybody at the company. You mess with my pay, I get real annoyed real fast.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Good thing Rainmaker is running so flawlessly. Let me see, missing about 30 hours with zero response from payroll and no updates from anybody at the company. You mess with my pay, I get real annoyed real fast.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I personally haven't had any issues and nobody I have flown with has had any gripes against it. Sucks when you miss some pay. The comment boxes have gone unanswered?

First we were a company that doesn't require any notification of go arounds, because safety. Then we were a company that received lectures from the DO about how go arounds cause delays. And now all go arounds require a maintenance writeup? Such a different company these days.

First we were a company that doesn't require any notification of go arounds, because safety. Then we were a company that received lectures from the DO about how go arounds cause delays. And now all go arounds require a maintenance writeup? Such a different company these days.
Wait, we need to do a write up for a go around? Did this just come out in a PRF?

So funny story, I had to do a windshear escape coming out of LAS. The book says I needed to do a mx write up. So I called maintenance control and told them what happened. Their response was "ugh, ok." They had no idea what we were supposed to write up. So we agreed on a write up and contract maintenance was sent out. Yeah he had no idea what he was supposed to do. Eventually I just told him to check the cmc for an kind of engine exceedance.

Back