Life at Compass

It seems like max reverse and damn near max brakes is the norm lately, despite AOM I saying otherwise. Roll to AA, I don't care, what's the point of a greaser if the last thing the passengers remember is eating the seat in front of them...
Meh its poor technique. Its not about the amount of brakes applied, but the rate at which they are applied. Go 0-firm brakes in a "1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3.." and you've avoided the embarrassing inertia and face-into-tray-table action. That's the great thing about the 175, you can make that 5,000ft turnoff to a highspeed by 30kts pretty routinely as long as you dont float excessively or abstain from early braking. But if it ain't happening it ain't happening, roll on down to AA.

When parking south and its busy, making Z instead of AA could have a greater impact on IN time than M.82 and all the shortcuts in the sky. Might be the difference between missing or making a connection. I find that more pressing in LAX than AOM suggested brake wear management, unless of course your gate is occupied anyway.

@cactusjuba that is true! You can definitely feel the deceleration, without the sudden jolt at the beginning. And as long as you consistently increase the pressure (not a sudden stomp), you avoid that embarrassing moment.

I have felt some people use some odd techniques when I was deadheading where it felt like abrupt application as well as release, and I thought I could tell when the captain took over.. felt like (woah slowing! Then release then woah slowing again!)

@cactusjuba that is true! You can definitely feel the deceleration, without the sudden jolt at the beginning. And as long as you consistently increase the pressure (not a sudden stomp), you avoid that embarrassing moment.

I have felt some people use some odd techniques when I was deadheading where it felt like abrupt application as well as release, and I thought I could tell when the captain took over.. felt like (woah slowing! Then release then woah slowing again!)
I dunno if anyone over here has found a consistent way to not get a kind of jolt when you go from MED to manual braking.

I never understood why... figured either standardization, or aerodata issues. Could be both! Oh well. I miss those birds regardless... so much sportier, especially when light.

I dunno if anyone over here has found a consistent way to not get a kind of jolt when you go from MED to manual braking.
We disarm ours by moving the speedbrake forward a little then back. Guessing that might work on the 175, never learned the autobrakes system on it.

If you want something low to Med, you use low, then when you manually actuate the brakes the m/s deceleration rate is not just reduced, its more closely matched.

If you desire to use Med (I promptly abandoned the idea within the first two seconds my first trial, hah) then leave them alone until you get slow enough where it's easier to match the deceleration rate manually.

Those things were pieces of crap.

How dare you! :( I liked them. They were good to me. Better cupholders even, I didn't have MX problems on them, and you could often climb straight to 380 or even 400 if light. Besides, pieces of crap or not, losing the 6 of them stalled this place for the past 6 months, so yeah. Not really better off with less flying...

Have the PM rotate the autobrake knob from med to low during your deceleration and then either match the low decel rate with the brakes (much less jolt) or have the PM rotate the knob to the off position and then use manual braking.

Used medium all the time while at Republic, mainly because there were intermediate turnoffs to make or it was go home leg and the terminal was behind me. No issues in the transition, just applied the brake smoothly and the transfer wasn't too bad after a few tries.

Here's a weird "day trip" in SAP under LAX CA. A SAT redeye with a 30 minute turn. Showtime is 23:30 the night before. Should this be paid as 10:12 hours?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 1.57.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 1.57.10 PM.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
What's wrong with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not enough bodies on the ops side. One agent for two gates. Airplanes waiting for FORTY minutes for a push crew. Having the fueler show up ten minutes PAST departure time. Mayhem in the alleys. Surly ground controllers and that was just one afternoon for me. It appears that the smartest and the brightest didn't account for the fact if you are going to have more gates you are going to need more people. Quite comical actually.

Not enough bodies on the ops side. One agent for two gates. Airplanes waiting for FORTY minutes for a push crew. Having the fueler show up ten minutes PAST departure time. Mayhem in the alleys. Surly ground controllers and that was just one afternoon for me. It appears that the smartest and the brightest didn't account for the fact if you are going to have more gates you are going to need more people. Quite comical actually.
Just there a few hours ago. Listening to Ops it seems like that had an IT outage as well and were having to hand write/plan gate assignments for planes/rampers/agents

Just there a few hours ago. Listening to Ops it seems like that had an IT outage as well and were having to hand write/plan gate assignments for planes/rampers/agents

Systemwide outage with their gate/ticket counter software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back