Life at Compass

Ehh I somewhat agree except for before those flow captains were rarely questioned on anything because it was a different operation back then. One with people in place who had experience and "got it". But as I am writing this it dawned on me that maybe the same flow guys in the office didn't care either so they didn't bother calling people. Either way the operation surely has changed into the TSH way.

yeah, thanks for bringing our on time metrics down
I forgot to mention that with us reverting to the old brake release policy those numbers are going to get even worse. Word on the street is that the new policy was apparently costing old man Hulas too much money.

I forgot to mention that with us reverting to the old brake release policy those numbers are going to get even worse. Word on the street is that the new policy was apparently costing old man Hulas too much money.
Is there any basis for that or is it just the rumblings of a increasingly cynical pilot group?

Is there any basis for that or is it just the rumblings of a increasingly cynical pilot group?

I had heard something along the lines of our aircraft timing out for heavy checks at a much faster rate with the brake drop procedure with little performance improvement.

That was from the mouth of JS at an instructor meeting as the reasoning for going back to the old procedure. 100% directed from Delta since they own the aircraft.

That was from the mouth of JS at an instructor meeting as the reasoning for going back to the old procedure. 100% directed from Delta since they own the aircraft.

So Delta wants better performance, but they want us to drop the brake only once cleared to push which in LAX 99% of the time past D-0. Got it.....

Call for push when "ready", get cleared, drop the brake, get out on time. Reset brake.

Call back ~30 sec later saying your having comm issues with the tug and you need to cancel you clearance.

Sit back and profit until the crew is actually ready.

Or you could just do what the FOM says and drop the brake when actually ready. In most stations you have to release the brake early to get pulled into the tug anyway... And since the FOM says to do this.. Do this.

Except the new wording never mentions releasing the brake. It says to "ensure the parking brake is off." Two version ago it said "release the parking brake." As I read it, as soon as the Before Start Check is done, the brake can be released. There is no need to get a clearance first. For a company so focused on proper phrasing and minutia ("Select takeoff flaps..."), the new wording is vague and open to interpretation.

I think this is only to give you the option to release it if you are being captured by a Lektro tug, as described in the note. Otherwise it seems to clearly state you only ensure the brake is off once the before start check is completed, passengers seated, and pushback clearance received. Before that point you don't do anything with the break other than ensuring it is set during your preflight flow.

With your logic @TallWeeds, it seems you could release it anytime you want to.

Yes I'm playing devils advocate here and agree this airline is very detail oriented, but with that detail oriented mindset that's how I read the procedure.

Any reasons as to why y'all have to wait for clearance to release the brake? Seems like an incredibly low hanging fruit to solve your on time performance issues.

Any reasons as to why y'all have to wait for clearance to release the brake? Seems like an incredibly low hanging fruit to solve your on time performance issues.

We had the procedure changed last year to allow us to drop the brake much earlier but it did not improve our performance. Not much to change when you block in 20 late in LAX because of occupied gates and every in base turn is 40 mins.

We had the procedure changed last year to allow us to drop the brake much earlier but it did not improve our performance. Not much to change when you block in 20 late in LAX because of occupied gates and every in base turn is 40 mins.

Disagree. We are allowed 40 minute turns in base and international, and 30 at an outstation regardless of what time the flight was scheduled to leave. The old brake policy was monumentally important in meeting those goals.

Back