Life at Compass

Was it JS who was telling new Captains in CELL class to blow the slides and evacuate rather than bust the DOT 3-hour limit?

(Reference posts 4777 and 4778 in this thread...@PropSettin' @aviator147 )

Here's why that would "be a no from me dawg."

Any time I'm faced with a bit of a gray area on a rule I try to look at the intent of it. The intent of the rule isn't to save passengers from being behind closed doors for 3 hours, it's to save them from being stuck on a plane for 3 hours. Blowing the slide and then not letting people off doesn't satisfy the intent of the rule to me, so I wouldn't have done it. Same thing back in IAD when we'd be waiting to be let off the gate to go deice. Ops would call us and ask us to cycle the door to "reset the clock." One of my favorite captains told them "If this door comes open, our passengers are coming in for a break."

SEA has been 2+ hours all day with 1+ hour lines for deicing.

My 0830 departure from SJC was originally posted as a 1100 wheels up, then it turned to 0915, then we ended up taking off at 0850. I must have got lucky though it did take an hour to get a gate since deice was backing departures up it seemed. Also we only had about 7-10 minutes of turns before BTG.

Last edited:
10:40am show time and I'm on the deadhead now to SFO after ours cancelled. probably land about 12:50am, hotel by 1:20 I figure. Was supposed to be here at 5:30pm... My schedule still shows a 7:30am show time tomorrow... I don't think that's gonna happen. I'm sure they'll find something for us. What a circus haha.

LAX, SFO, and SEA all with 1hr+ GDP. Glad I'm not working :)

I'm so tired of writing Crew Reports for delays known after pushback exceeding 15 minutes. Now that they are due within 24 hours, I have to set an alarm on my day off to get these things done.

It went about as hilarious as I thought. After our deadhead to SFO got in crazy late into the early hours of the morning, "we're gonna deadhead you guys back to Seattle tomorrow". Le sigh...

Surely I'm not the only one who hasn't been writing them :D

This is akin to bragging about jumpseating to South America while on reserve.

I'm of the opposite viewpoint, I write one every single time. Copy and paste job from the FOM's requirements of me, with the exception of adding the flight number and reason for the delay. One leg with two gate returns and three delays after pushback, I had five crew reports to complete. Copy and paste of the same paragraph five times. It's nonsense, but required. By flooding the system with the same mandatory report, maybe they will realize the lunacy of it.

This is akin to bragging about jumpseating to South America while on reserve.

I'm of the opposite viewpoint, I write one every single time. Copy and paste job from the FOM's requirements of me, with the exception of adding the flight number and reason for the delay. One leg with two gate returns and three delays after pushback, I had five crew reports to complete. Copy and paste of the same paragraph five times. It's nonsense, but required. By flooding the system with the same mandatory report, maybe they will realize the lunacy of it.

in all honesty. I've done them most the time. 2 weeks ago we operated a 14 hour delayed DFW-LAX which was after we timed out and gate returned. Min-rest overnight to go fly the same flight in the morning. That was a fun one to write up.

I had a friend at a previous company who was told he is deadheading to Daytona Beach. Checked his schedule, it was for DAY - Dayton, Ohio. But listing was made for Daytona Beach, so he went anyways. It took them three days to find him and get him home.

Last airline lost me for four days once, even with me emailing them once a day telling them where I was.

The chaos was impressive.

I had a friend at a previous company who was told he is deadheading to Daytona Beach. Checked his schedule, it was for DAY - Dayton, Ohio. But listing was made for Daytona Beach, so he went anyways. It took them three days to find him and get him home.

You mean the same previous company that told me I was going to Dulles when my schedule said IAH...

That is awesome.

Last airline lost me for four days once, even with me emailing them once a day telling them where I was.

The chaos was impressive.
I love this so much.

The 700 is like a nice, not elite, but nice sport sedan, like a 5 series or C class, the 175 is like your grandma's old country squire wagon.

And why if Bombardier can make panels and access points fit flush, like, you know, they were designed for the airplane, can't Embraer seem to?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
know how i know you are insane?

and have any of you compass quitters gotten a W2 yet? I thought i got it 2 days ago but it was only that health insurance form.

Back