Lazy Eye, Second Class Medical, SODA Process??

LaceyV

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding obtaining a second or possibly a first class medical. Looking through the forum I know several people have asked similar questions, so I apologize for that. I am still a bit confused.

Due to an eye turn, I have a lazy eye in my right eye. I was able to obtain a third class medical but I have recently received my commercial pilot license and am looking to get a second class medical. I wouldn’t meet the standards for a second class medical vision test for that eye.

When I first started taking flight lessons, there was a pilot with a similar problem, who told me about SODAs’, so I figured that it wouldn’t be impossible.

However, I have contacted a few AME’s in my area and am quite confused on how to proceed. One directed me to the FAA which I have yet to call and another told me to schedule an appointment, which then she would defer me to Oklahoma City and what not.

So, I was wondering if you could clear up a few questions for me?

Would I first bring a completed 8500-7 to the AME?
Than, if I understand correctly, I would need to take a medical flight test?

Does the AME provide the letter to authorise that? Do I need to contact the nearest FSDO?

One AME I spoke to said that I would have to take the medical flight test in Oklahoma City. As I am quite far from there, would it be possible to take it elsewhere?

The same AME also said that during this whole process my third class medical would be invalid and I would not be able to fly during this time. This is quite concerning to me as I would like to continue studying to become a flight instructor.

Also, could you give me any idea how long this process would take?

Finally I apologize for the long post, I am quite lost on how to proceed and any information is greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you,
Lacey

The first question is, do you have double vision?
Second, do you have distant vision corrected to 20/20 in each eye?

If the answer to 1 is no and 2 is yes, an experienced AME should be able to document this and issue the medical.

If you have double vision or you are not 20/20 in each eye, then you will be deferred and OKC will issue the authorization for a medical flight test. This will be taken at the closest FSDO. If you pass (which should not be a problem) OKC will give you a SODA which will be good for the class of medical and those lower. I would recommend getting a Class 1 medical while doing this so you do not box yourself in.

The process takes 8 weeks or so but the AME should be able to call OKC or the Regional Flight Surgeon to expedite the authorization letter.

Thanks for the quick response,

Sorry I should have been more clear, I do not have double vision and only my left eye is able to be corrected to 20/20 distant vision.

And I will definitely be going for a class 1 medical.

Also during those 8 weeks, will there be any restrictions put on me to fly or will I have a medical during this time? I’m in the middle of my CFI and looking into starting my multi engine rating, so I’m not sure if I should finish those first or will have to put myself on hold for around two months.

Thanks again.

They will consider you for a mono vision SODA.

Your current medical will not be valid. Once the AME submits the new medical, the old one is invalid. That is why you want an AME who will call and ask for a Medical Flight Test letter.

Back