Layover food

So, one time I went into the Hasidic grocery store at M&L for bagels, it was so weird. Like I crossed the 1st wire in Stalag Luft III. I've seen people scream horrible insults at the owners on the street, I wanted to both support their business and get some good bagels to take back to Cali on my commute. Instead, I swear that they had to call the local rabbi to exorcise my presence from anything I may have touched. Like I shouldn't be in there.

Go eat at Danis. Extra Sauce. I'm getting hungry just thinking about those slices. People love the pesto slices... I'm like meh, I like the red sauce ones. With extra sauce on top.

I used to go to the Indian joint next to Albas. They used to give a discount with your airline ID. And the Asian joint across from the 7/11... Jade? I've walked all over the place around there also. Found a Carvel about 2ish miles up the road on Metro - that was always fun. Walk for a while, eat soft serve, walk more.

But 95% of the time I would just do the pizza at Danis.
Man. I have yet to try Dani’s but it’s a staple at the pad. I’m kinda off pizza right now but might have to give in as I’m currently drinking a beer….somewhere in queens.

NYC bagels are the best in this country and I am willing to die on that hill.

I’ll die on that hill with you.

Only one place in my five decades on this planet have equaled them, and that’s at Bodo’s bagels in Charlottesville, VA.

20240315_182828.jpg

Szechuan bean curd and General Tso's tofu from Happy Wok in ILN.

Doesn't really count as food, but I finally got to visit Sky Coffee in Miami. They made a former Widget Maddog fuselage into a coffee shop. It's pretty cool, they even have most of the cockpit intact. It's mostly a novelty but their Cappuccino was of the right temperature and consistency, which I appreciate because it's hard to find in the US

Attachments

• 20240316_144938.jpg
    20240316_144938.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240316_145015.jpg
    20240316_145015.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240316_145559.jpg
    20240316_145559.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
Doesn't really count as food, but I finally got to visit Sky Coffee in Miami. They made a former Widget Maddog fuselage into a coffee shop. It's pretty cool, they even have most of the cockpit intact. It's mostly a novelty but their Cappuccino was of the right temperature and consistency, which I appreciate because it's hard to find in the US

Back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth, MIA had a heckuva employee cafeteria and the Cuban coffee would shrink your head right off your neck.

@Acrofox one of my favorite overnights at OO was SBP. Not because of the hotel location or the drink coupon, but next door to the hotel there was a Shell Gas Sation with an Italian deli inside (Depalo and Sons). Amazing sandos, a beverage of choice and a quick walk down the street to a park where I would eat my sandwich and reflect.

Also another frequent overnight was LAS. Amazing Korean bbq across from the crappy hotel behind the German beer house.

@Acrofox one of my favorite overnights at OO was SBP. Not because of the hotel location or the drink coupon, but next door to the hotel there was a Shell Gas Sation with an Italian deli inside (Depalo and Sons). Amazing sandos, a beverage of choice and a quick walk down the street to a park where I would eat my sandwich and reflect.

Also another frequent overnight was LAS. Amazing Korean bbq across from the crappy hotel behind the German beer house.
Wasn’t every OO pilot favorite layover SBP? Almost 4 years there I never could even get that trip. As FO or CA lol

Back