Lawsuit over scab lists

The current "Master Scab List" is maintained by a regular line pilot (who I think doesn't even work at an ALPA carrier now). However, he compiled his list from the original lists that were published by each MEC. ALPA has published plenty of scab lists over the years. You can see a picture of the first one in Flying the Line, Vol 1. It was published on the front page of Air Line Pilot Magazine way back in the '30s. There is nothing at all illegal about a union publishing a scab list. During the NWA AMFA strike a few years ago, AMFA actually posted pictures of the scabbing mechanics on their website.

That's cool. I just thought I remember (think it was Capt Caucasian) writing that ALPA didn't maintain it, or something to that effect. But interesting info nonetheless, esp about the history.

I'm not a regional FO. Haven't been in quite a long time.

Serious question.....

What defines a regional airline? Number of a/c, cities, number of flights, etc..?

I ask as I have seen 20 different answers from 10 different sources.

Serious question.....

What defines a regional airline? Number of a/c, cities, number of flights, etc..?

I was confused too, because I was under the impression that AirTran was a regional.

Serious question.....

I guess everybody could have a different definition. I've always considered it airlines that fly turboprops and RJs under someone else's code.

I think the traditional definitions were defined by revenue levels assigned by the DOT. Major, National, Commuter

Now, terms like "legacies" and "regionals" are tossed around like other marketing terms "Regional Jet" and "Low Cost Carrier" that don't have a strict definition.

I think the traditional definitions were defined by revenue levels assigned by the DOT. Major, National, Commuter

Now, terms like "legacies" and "regionals" are tossed around like other marketing terms "Regional Jet" and "Low Cost Carrier" that don't have a strict definition.

Good point. AirTran is no Mesa, but it also isn't a southwest. It must be something in between.

I like Major, National, and Commuter better personally.

How so? I've worked at an IBT carrier, an ALPA carrier (soon to become two ALPA carriers), and an independent union carrier. Where was the non-union carrier in that list?

Ah, ok. Buy your job IBT.
Independent union? Ok.

Under some people's definition, yes. I certainly didn't consider them to be so, however.

Read the Dunn litigation ruling. It's available on the net.

Good point. AirTran is no Mesa, but it also isn't a southwest. It must be something in between.

SWA has no international flights of their own. It's all codeshared. AirTran operates our own international flights to many destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean. So under what criteria would you consider SWA to not be a "regional" while AirTran is? I could see putting Delta into a different category than AirTran, but not SWA.

since I'm taking air transportation management and my teacher is the chief operation over at pinnacle and would kill me if I got this wrong.

Major is annual gross over 1 billion
National is between 100 mill and 1 billion
regional is between 10 million and 99.9 million

Lots of regional pilots get offended if you use the word "commuter" for them nowadays.

Well the word regional is kind of a misnomer. Alaska provides service primarily a specific region (the Pac Northwest and Alaska) but isn't a regional, whereas Mesa and Republic have flights from hawaii to LGA and they're regionals. Strange to me.

Lots of regional pilots get offended if you use the word "commuter" for them nowadays.

Yeah, I know. At some point between then and now, the nomenclature changed.....I don't exxactly know when. I refer to it as regional now too just because its the common def now, just remember the old definitions from way back when. Plus, if I say commuter now, some guys think "on-demand air taxi" operation, or something similar. :)

IMHO, the big change for the name came from the change in equipment; when commuters/regionals went from the common C-402s/BE-99s/EMB-110s to the current fleet of RJ-style aircraft. I could be wrong, but it seems that's where times changed.

Well the word regional is kind of a misnomer. Alaska provides service primarily a specific region (the Pac Northwest and Alaska) but isn't a regional, whereas Mesa and Republic have flights from hawaii to LGA and they're regionals. Strange to me.

Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is what it is.

BTW, Alaska operates flights all over the country. I see them quite often east of the Mississippi.

IMHO, the big change for the name came from the change in equipment; when commuters/regionals went from the common C-402s/BE-99s/EMB-110s to the current fleet of RJ-style aircraft. I could be wrong, but it seems that's where times changed.

I think you're right. The RJ equipment seemed to bring a new name with it.

How so? I've worked at an IBT carrier, an ALPA carrier (soon to become two ALPA carriers), and an independent union carrier. Where was the non-union carrier in that list?.

Which union did Gulfstream have and did FOs in the First Officer Training Program get to participate?

Which union did Gulfstream have and did FOs in the First Officer Training Program get to participate?

We had the IBT on the property, but we were still working on our first contract. Under IBT rules, no one pays dues until the first contract is achieved. So, I worked at an IBT carrier, but I never had to pay dues to the IBT, because I left before the contract was achieved. I honestly don't know how they deal with probationary pilots now. I think the IBT usually has probies pay dues, though.

Even "RJ" is a farce, because it is a brand name similar to Kleenex. While neither is the actual name of the product, it's defined the segment.

The marketeers prolly embraced the term since "Regional Jet(tm)" sound alot better than (as the pax hear it) turboPROP. And, the COO's loved it because it was: "You don't mind us letting the commuters fly some of these "Regional Jets (tm)" do you? They only hold 50 seats..."

So since the Commuters flew turboprops, what do you call an airline that flies RegionalJets (tm)?

Back