Lawsuit over scab lists

I disagree with Velo's stance on many political issues (mainly Democrat/Republican issues). I agree with him in most instances about his stance on jumpseats however. The jumpseat was negotiated by the union and should be made available to union pilots. If the unions don't have some teeth then you are doing little else than gaining access to legal and medical help by joining (and that is not to disparage the legal and medical help in anyway). If I were a 121 Captain I would probably take a stance similiar to Velo, although I would probably give start-up airlines a little leeway prior to banning them (at least a little time to get organized, etc). Seriously, I can't think of any other business where you would willingly help your competitors in any fashion. Further, it goes against human nature to pay dues, fight for a set of benefits, and then simply give them to those that have not sacrificed the money or time to secure those rights. The thought of paying for and spending time to gain certain rights and then giving those rights to employees of competitors that undercut your business without them having paid the dues in money or time is simply counterintuitive.

I know this is kind of a noob question, but what's the difference between jumpseating and non-reving? Is non-reving where your company pays your airfare? And is jumpseating were you fly for free if there is space?
thanks
-Matt

Thanks for the support, Waco. You have an outstanding grasp of the situation.

As far as the difference between jumpseating and non-revving...both are free, but jumpseating basicly refers to riding the cockpit jumpseat. Most carriers have what's called the multiple jumpseat policy. That is, any open seat in the back may be assigned by CSAs to pilots who request a jumpseat.

At that point they are just like any other non-rev passengers. As far as I'm concerned, non-revvers need not check in with the flight deck because they're just another passenger.

As far as the difference between jumpseating and non-revving...both are free, but jumpseating basicly refers to riding the cockpit jumpseat. Most carriers have what's called the multiple jumpseat policy. That is, any open seat in the back may be assigned by CSAs to pilots who request a jumpseat.

At that point they are just like any other non-rev passengers. As far as I'm concerned, non-revvers need not check in with the flight deck because they're just another passenger.

Thanks
-Matt

I bet these people would like to have a word with Gojet.

53567277.jpg

Unfortunately, the guy in front won't be doing any more of those for a while. It's sad. Chris is a very good guy. I had a few conversations with him. They were quite enjoyable.

So for the first time I had a Gojets guy jumpseat on a flight I was working the other day. I tell the ramp we have a guy who wants a jump to MFR, they say the captain wants to know who he's with, I ask the guy, guy says he's with TSA. Now, I didn't add him to the list, the other gate agent I was with did, so I just went with that. Get the green light, send him down, then the Brasilia becomes weight restrictied and we go down to yank him off to get the flight out ontime. The guy throws a tantrum that its "Not fair" and goes in the cockpit and begs the pilots to work out new limits. Captain works it out and lets the guy stay. 2 minute delay but they put it as CREW.

So, as I go and put the OMC card in the paperwork's envelope, I notice the "G7" code on it. I think "Wait a second..." and I look it up and sure enough, Gojets. And guess what, it dawned on me, he had his ID backwards too! What an asshat.

So flight comes back in from MFR, I chat with the captain, he tells me "TSA is going thorough some rough stuff right now, I figured I could do something nice for the guy and help him out." Then I bring him upstairs and show him the guy was really with Gojets. He was pretty pissed. I guess this means they didn't verify the guys ID when he boarded, whoopsie, but still. What an asshat.

If he pulled that stuff with me, he'd be off my jumpseat...not for being GoJet, but for misrepresenting himself and lying to me. When I jumpseat, I don't tell the crews that I fly for Continental. I say I'm with ExpressJet.

can i bring you to show and tell with our pilot group?

Unfortunately, the guy in front won't be doing any more of those for a while. It's sad. Chris is a very good guy. I had a few conversations with him. They were quite enjoyable.

It was a huge loss to the Association when Captain Beebe had to leave. There are few people in this world that I respect more than him. Great man.

Back