Job offer in Texas

Ugh. You couldn't pay me $1600 /month to live in West Texas let alone would I spend that much on an apartment there.

Hate to break it to you but, while that pretty much describes Midland/Odessa, El Paso is one of the best kept secrets in the country.

Really? That bad huh?

Actually Midland-Odessa isn't that bad for a medium sized city(s). They've got malls, movie theaters, restaurants, minor league baseball, bars, a university, and all the usual stuff that you expect to find in a metro area of 250,000 people.

The problem is that the nearest big city is Fort Worth, about 5 hours away, and El Paso is about 4.5 hours in the other direction. Also as noted, the cost of housing and many other services is unexpectedly high. You might have to live in San Angelo or Lubbock to find affordable housing.

Hate to break it to you but, while that pretty much describes Midland/Odessa, El Paso is one of the best kept secrets in the country.
I actually like El Paso (I'm from NM, so I've been there quite a bit). The cost of living is low and there is some scenery to be scene. That being said, El Paso is a world away from the rest of West Texas.

Actually Midland-Odessa isn't that bad for a medium sized city(s). They've got malls, movie theaters, restaurants, minor league baseball, bars, a university, and all the usual stuff that you expect to find in a metro area of 250,000 people.

The problem is that the nearest big city is Fort Worth, about 5 hours away, and El Paso is about 4.5 hours in the other direction. Also as noted, the cost of housing and many other services is unexpectedly high. You might have to live in San Angelo or Lubbock to find affordable housing.
I will actually be working out of Andrews texas which ive heard isnt too much better. I think San Angelo is a little too far to drive to and from work everyday

I guess it's not too bad if you like flat brownness and oil fields. Some people like it, but it's not my cup of tea. I used to go into Midland from time to time for an old corporate gig I had and wasn't too impressed, but San Angelo isn't terrible-atleast it's semi green.
Im a city boy, but hey i can adapt if i have to

Well fellas, i came to midland last night and have been searching for a decent reasonably priced place to call home for a while, but as everyone has said, its crazy expensive. I knew it would be hard, but i did find a couple of apartments for 650-700. Not in the best of areas but hey i guess its something. I just cant see myself paying 1500 a month for an apartment when im only making slightly more than the regional guys. Anyways, i appreciate all of you guys help and advice!

I know exactly who you are/will be working for. I actually applied with this gig as a crew member... I recently got here into the area...for temporary, thankfully...but this place is hella expensive! You will for surely not find anything under $1200...unless its cardboard box on someones property....hell even those are ridiculous.

You're better off finding other folks in the area to room\-mate with....if you can find'em. I'd offer, but married and living in a 1 bedroom for the prices mentioned above...I just don't have the room.

Hopefully they'll pay you good.

Well fellas, i came to midland last night and have been searching for a decent reasonably priced place to call home for a while, but as everyone has said, its crazy expensive. I knew it would be hard, but i did find a couple of apartments for 650-700. Not in the best of areas but hey i guess its something. I just cant see myself paying 1500 a month for an apartment when im only making slightly more than the regional guys. Anyways, i appreciate all of you guys help and advice!
Did you look out west of Midland/Odessa? I lived in Pecos for a while... its a pretty quiet town but the price of an apartment was right and that made up for the hour plus drive to work everyday.

I know exactly who you are/will be working for. I actually applied with this gig as a crew member... I recently got here into the area...for temporary, thankfully...but this place is hella expensive! You will for surely not find anything under $1200...unless its cardboard box on someones property....hell even those are ridiculous.

You're better off finding other folks in the area to room\-mate with....if you can find'em. I'd offer, but married and living in a 1 bedroom for the prices mentioned above...I just don't have the room.

Hopefully they'll pay you good.
Yeah i cant believe how ridiculous that place is. Its great for their economy, but it sucks that everyone is taking advantage of people by charging astronomical prices for one bedroom dumps. They could always be better, but it could always be worse as well

Is this that gig that was posted in the Jobs Section? There was some back n forth over whether it required a commercial etc

Back