Jet fighters chase small plane in Washington area before it crashes in Virginia (Citation OA9-ISP)

But I was more talking them pulling out my blunt tip scissors (that are about 2mm longer than allowed for non blunt tip) every time. Or last week how they sent the captain through the millimeter wave machine and then flipped out when the metal wings on the front of his shirt triggered and instead of just patting him down, made him take his wings off, put them through the cray machine and then go back through the millimeter wave machine, and then get patted down anyway. Or how four of our 10 FAs got "random" explosive swab testing that required then to take out everything in their bags for the tech to swab.

Hahaha, try the Indians! Sometimes they're just bad. Other times they're "everything metal must be out of the bag" bad. Like they mean wires and pennies, etc. And you will go through the machine as many times as it takes for everything metal to be out of the bag.

In any case, I'll make a bold prediction. MX clearly happened, so I would lay pretty good money that, for whatever reason, the MX staff left the manual pressurization controller out, and El(le) Dude(tte) didn't check it. Then he/she either ignored the cabin alt warning or fidgeted around with stuff while still climbing long enough to become incapacitated. Or I guess maybe the cabin alt warning could have failed.

It can happen, ask me how I know. Luckily our warning worked.

Sounds like a fairly good guess. They’re saying comms were lost 15 minutes after takeoff. NORAD notified 8 minutes after losing comms, didn’t scramble keys until 90 minutes after that.

As @Boris Badenov has previously alluded to the suitability of medevac as a post-career gig heavily, heavily depends on your base and program, although I wonder in the age of the post-Covid slow motion healthcare system collapse whether any base or program is escaping the slow rolling tidal wave of •. At least it’s job security, he told himself 45000’ over Bella Bella at 2 AM for the 13th night in a row

Could always have a company like Air Methods, where one can show up for shift, only to be informed that the base is being closed….today, with no previous indications or notice given.

That’s some job security right there. :)

Could always have a company like Air Methods, where one can show up for shift, only to be informed that the base is being closed….today, with no previous indications or notice given.

That’s some job security right there. :)
That's got to have been community program. Easily solved, fly for a hospital program and only fear for your job when the contract is up!

That's got to have been community program. Easily solved, fly for a hospital program and only fear for your job when the contract is up!

I believe so. It’s happened a few times to bases around here that were deemed to not be producing enough flights. Crews show up for the next shift, only to see the unexpected area manager there who has brought the fun news

I believe so. It’s happened a few times to bases around here that were deemed to not be producing enough flights. Crews show up for the next shift, only to see the unexpected area manager there who has brought the fun news
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 12.13.27.png

If we scrambled fighters for every NORDO aircraft approaching NYC we’d need a permanent CAP.

Good to know!

Reminds me of doing a tower visit and someone about 15 miles south started squawking 7700.

"What happens now?"

"Not in radio contact, not my problem" :)

As @Boris Badenov has previously alluded to the suitability of medevac as a post-career gig heavily, heavily depends on your base and program, although I wonder in the age of the post-Covid slow motion healthcare system collapse whether any base or program is escaping the slow rolling tidal wave of •. At least it’s job security, he told himself 45000’ over Bella Bella at 2 AM for the 13th night in a row
This just sounds wonderfully still and very isolating, though chaos leads up to it.

So does NZ and most of the south pacific islands.

But I was more talking them pulling out my blunt tip scissors (that are about 2mm longer than allowed for non blunt tip) every time. Or last week how they sent the captain through the millimeter wave machine and then flipped out when the metal wings on the front of his shirt triggered and instead of just patting him down, made him take his wings off, put them through the cray machine and then go back through the millimeter wave machine, and then get patted down anyway. Or how four of our 10 FAs got "random" explosive swab testing that required then to take out everything in their bags for the tech to swab.
Try SSSS. You do it to us all the time.

I guess I'm a bit of an outlier. I'm working week on, week off, doing fire suppression in a plane almost as old as me in an area local to where I live and grew up. My uniform is jeans and a t shirt with a hoodie if it's chilly in the morning. I stay in my motorhome and pocket the hotel money. I do miss flying jets but not interested in working for than one week a month on average over the year, plus I relocate in the winters, so it's pretty unlikely something that meets my needs will come along other than the summer fire fighting sort of thing. If the 757 air tanker actually happens, I could see doing that if they would want we. I just applied for a "casual" contract job doing ferry flights for ATSG. There was little in the job description other than 757/767 time so don't know if it would be a good fit. I guess there are those who don't want to touch an airplane again after they retire and those who want to keep flying. To each his own. What's sad are those who have to take the Air Ambo job to survive after they turn 65. Could happen to anyone, though. The career can be a crap shoot.
This is the beautiful thing, to me, about retirement. Whether doing something one loves a week or two per month, or not doing a damned thing at all, we get to choose how to be happy at long last. That is the definition of "rich" I understand and embrace these days.

So does NZ and most of the south pacific islands.

I was kinda surprised to learn this stuff about AU the last few years. I've had a couple of friends take flying jobs there or non-aviation friends spend a few years there and it seems the big cities have extensive DUI checkpoints all the time where they not only question you but either breathalyze you or swab your mouth right there and run it to see if you are high on THC possibly. Also I guess in some parts of the country people tend to not drive as much (I hear parking in Sydney is worse than SF/NYC) and mostly take public transport so they think you're especially suspicious if you're driving around late at night and you get harassed much more often than in the US doing so as a young person. It seems pretty damn invasive for the country that is often regarded to as the 2nd most individualistic and free nation behind the US in various publications. That was not the takeaway of the surprised folks who lived there a bit lol. NZ tho I hear doesn't even make you go thru security at smaller airports with ATR service for domestic flights on the other hand. Seems much more chill there from everything I've heard, especially on South Island.

Back