Jet fighters chase small plane in Washington area before it crashes in Virginia (Citation OA9-ISP)

Speaking of the pilot, he was 69 years old and retired from SWA after 26 years.

MX clearly happened, so I would lay pretty good money that, for whatever reason, the MX staff left the manual pressurization controller out, and El(le) Dude(tte) didn't check it. Then he/she either ignored the cabin alt warning or fidgeted around with stuff while still climbing long enough to become incapacitated.
If you retire from Rolling Coal Airlines and work part 91 years later, there may be more to the decision making story.

Lol next time commute in uniform. If I had a dollar for every time, I saw this. Watched a FA lose probably a hundred bucks in makeup and food after a random and being out of uniform.

Was going to CQ in regular business casual clothes. My bad.

Stupid rules are still stupid. 2006, I think it was. Liquid bomb plot on airliners, we were told. 100mL was okay. But what about 5 different people combining theirs to make 0.5 L in flight? Sounds like stand 6 ft away…

This is why I’m against the govt mandating BS under the guise of “security/safety.” At least the 6 ft went away. 3-1-1 rule? Still in place long after the “events” of 2006.

If you retire from Rolling Coal Airlines and work part 91 years later, there may be more to the decision making story.
That’s pretty common. I was riding up front on UA several years back and both guys told me they were retiring in a few weeks.
“Congrats!”
“Yeah! We’re gonna go work at XO Jet!”

To each their own and I know retirement can get boring, but I can’t imagine wanting to touch an airplane (at least for a paycheck) after retirement.

Tangentially related to depressurization, I flew pretty low (relative term) between Roswell and GJT a month or two ago on a really great VMC day. Gunnison passed right off the right wing. That note in the 737 book suddenly seemed pretty legit. I guess I'm normally a lot higher up around that area, so hadn't gotten the full appreciation tour yet.

A lot of guys do stuff like this.

Hell, one of my captain heroes retired early to go to Envoy to fly with his son. Once he got that out of his system, he was like "Oh, this is hell" and quit. :)

I love to fly but if i do anything professionally after I retire, hopefully it's not going to be aviation. I have other interests.

I'm currently working with a retired SWA pilot, retired DAL pilot, and four retired USAF pilots. All of them seem to have their lives together and are decent to work with. The common thread is that they like the chill environment and not being on the road all the time. Say whatever you want about little jets, but it's not very common to find old, burnt out pilots flying them. If you're old and flying in this sector, you're probably having a good time.

Who is the retired Delta guy? Hopefully I know him so I can give you some dirt! :) I can wait until weekend zoom!

We need to shame those people

If you go from making 300k+ a year and can’t afford to retire, ya made some poor choices amigo.
I do wonder how long, exactly, it would take to recover from a complete loss of a pension. Those guys are mostly retiring now (ask me all about it).

That said, retirees are often the best argument against raising the retirement age.

Who is the retired Delta guy? Hopefully I know him so I can give you some dirt! :) I can wait until weekend zoom!

I think I asked you about him a while back when he got hired and you'd never heard of him. He was on the A320 out of MSP, former NWA, took early retirement due to the 'rona, got tired of sitting at home and found us.

Maybe for @jrh operation it makes sense, but when I meet airline retirees flying medevac I’m like really? You can’t find something better to do than calling down the list of Petro Marine employees in Wrangell at 3 AM because you missed your first approach but made it in the second time and now you need fuel before you can launch for Seattle with the patient?

A lot of guys do stuff like this.

Hell, one of my captain heroes retired early to go to Envoy to fly with his son. Once he got that out of his system, he was like "Oh, this is hell" and quit. :)

I love to fly but if i do anything professionally after I retire, hopefully it's not going to be aviation. I have other interests.
Approaching four years for me now and I've never been happier or more content. I've turned down several semi-desirable part-time gigs (decent pay and sort of "write your own" schedule). IDK, I chose to retire when I did to get out of the work force ASAP, and I honestly can't recall a boring or wasted day so far. Money is occasionally a bit tight with inflationary pressure but not so tight as to require the constraints of time and schedule once more.

I did my traveling in younger days and no desire to do it again (the grocery store is a long eight miles from the only place I want to be). With social interaction and family, dogs and the wildlife that wanders by, books to read and reflections to write, I can't imagine a better place to be in life than where I am. I can hike the wood and rail trails, fish as I want. I eat when I'm hungry and sleep when I'm tired and no one owns my schedule but me (well, save the dogs when they need to pee and poo).

Sure as hell made a difference to a few people during my working days but that was a responsibility I was glad to lay down. While YMMV, understandably, I've found there are a million interesting, healing and important things with which to fill the hours of my day, even if that's nothing more than sitting on the deck with a drink, surrounded by dogs, while a warm wind blows and the grass slowly grows. My only sadness is the quickness with which each new day passes.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a bit of an outlier. I'm working week on, week off, doing fire suppression in a plane almost as old as me in an area local to where I live and grew up. My uniform is jeans and a t shirt with a hoodie if it's chilly in the morning. I stay in my motorhome and pocket the hotel money. I do miss flying jets but not interested in working for than one week a month on average over the year, plus I relocate in the winters, so it's pretty unlikely something that meets my needs will come along other than the summer fire fighting sort of thing. If the 757 air tanker actually happens, I could see doing that if they would want we. I just applied for a "casual" contract job doing ferry flights for ATSG. There was little in the job description other than 757/767 time so don't know if it would be a good fit. I guess there are those who don't want to touch an airplane again after they retire and those who want to keep flying. To each his own. What's sad are those who have to take the Air Ambo job to survive after they turn 65. Could happen to anyone, though. The career can be a crap shoot.

I guess I'm a bit of an outlier. I'm working week on, week off, doing fire suppression in a plane almost as old as me in an area local to where I live and grew up. My uniform is jeans and a t shirt with a hoodie if it's chilly in the morning. I stay in my motorhome and pocket the hotel money. I do miss flying jets but not interested in working for than one week a month on average over the year, plus I relocate in the winters, so it's pretty unlikely something that meets my needs will come along other than the summer fire fighting sort of thing. If the 757 air tanker actually happens, I could see doing that if they would want we. I just applied for a "casual" contract job doing ferry flights for ATSG. There was little in the job description other than 757/767 time so don't know if it would be a good fit. I guess there are those who don't want to touch an airplane again after they retire and those who want to keep flying. To each his own. What's sad are those who have to take the Air Ambo job to survive after they turn 65. Could happen to anyone, though. The career can be a crap shoot.
As @Boris Badenov has previously alluded to the suitability of medevac as a post-career gig heavily, heavily depends on your base and program, although I wonder in the age of the post-Covid slow motion healthcare system collapse whether any base or program is escaping the slow rolling tidal wave of •. At least it’s job security, he told himself 45000’ over Bella Bella at 2 AM for the 13th night in a row

That's invasive species protection. You wanna try south Africa where they bug spray the cabin before landing

So does NZ and most of the south pacific islands.

But I was more talking them pulling out my blunt tip scissors (that are about 2mm longer than allowed for non blunt tip) every time. Or last week how they sent the captain through the millimeter wave machine and then flipped out when the metal wings on the front of his shirt triggered and instead of just patting him down, made him take his wings off, put them through the cray machine and then go back through the millimeter wave machine, and then get patted down anyway. Or how four of our 10 FAs got "random" explosive swab testing that required then to take out everything in their bags for the tech to swab.

Back