Jet career's ski trip?

Re: Jet career\'s ski trip?

[ QUOTE ]
Tahoe - Never been, but heard it is good. Isn't Heavenly down there somewhere? Maybe not so great access. What is the closest airport?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Heavenly is there. You can also ski at Squaw Valley, Northstar, and Alpine Meadows, to name a few. So there are a bunch of different resorts, and all of them have some sweet views of Lake Tahoe.

Access isn't a problem at all. You fly into Reno, and then you're an hour's drive from the snow!

Plus, I figure that a lot of people may not want to ski as much as some others, and with Reno and all the entertainment they have there for people, I figure that is a plus.

[ QUOTE ]
East Coast - Why go when you can go out west?
Ethan

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, let's not forget about us east-coast and midwest guys....
mad.gif

We could always come to the south and do a civil war reenactment
grin.gif

What about Montana?

hard to get to though

Big Mountain and Big Sky (bozeman is pretty accessible through SLC though) are awesome ski areas. you pay through the nose for lift tickets though about 50-60 bucks.

Wellllll if you decide on Utah.....Kristie you can hang out with me cause I am a NON and NEVER WILL Skier after running into some kids when I was 13
laugh.gif

ANNNNNDDDDDD.....we have a family cabin in Timberlakes (15 minutes east of Heber, about 30 minutes to Park City) There are 7 bedrooms, 2 that have queen size bunk beds, so really TONS of sleeping places, plus a loft. (And we mean beds, not sleeping on cots or the floor) Plus it's nice and new, not your "roughin it" cabin. (Pool table, fooz ball, two big screens etc.) Plus there are some snowmobiles. HOWEVER there are few "things". One, sorry, we are prude Mormon people and we could not allow drinking or smoking. Two, you need 4 wheel drive to get up the last 5 minutes of mountain so some of you might have to park and leave your car and have us come get you. Three-you need to pay for your own food Four-You are on your own liablity (no snowmobling lawsuits!!!)

If that is desirable for any one and you do end up doing this trip-let me know. Corbin and I will have to talk about it for sure before we can say that this is a 100% offer.

Willfly,

Halo? Oh no brother, you know that if we get together there has got to be some UT action going on. I'll figure out a way to get my box out there!

Oh man, you all better have girls for me to hang out with if you are going to hog the tvs for games. Anyway, Corbin has an Xbox, you wouldn't need to bring one. (Actually I guess you'd need one for each tv huh?)

Oh, and PS. My son would definitly be there so if you all have kid issues you probably wouldn't want to hang out there with us.(he's very well behaved and isn't a problem, other then he's a kid).Wow-I am probably making it sound like a lot less fun with all my rules huh?

[ QUOTE ]
Willfly,

Halo? Oh no brother, you know that if we get together there has got to be some UT action going on. I'll figure out a way to get my box out there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did somebody say UT?? Well, I think we need to start the pre-qualifying and qualifying verrryyyy soon....
grin.gif

So who's going to follow everyone down the slope saying "I want my two dollars!"

Ack, I just realized that since I'm one of the few old men of the site, I'm probably one of two people that understand that reference.

I guess I'll take my geritol and go to bed.

Gotta big day tomorrow at Luby's cafeteria

Better off Dead is freakin classic. Vintage 80's Cusack along with One Crazy Summer.

That's a real shame when folks be throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that.

SLC is definitely the destination of choice for a number of reasons:

<ul type="square"> [*]"The Greatest Snow on Earth" is on the license plates for a reason; I've had people who've skied every big-name resort on the planet tell me that Utah powder is the best snow anywhere[*]Affordable accommodations &amp; food (this ain't Aspen) [*]Contrary to popular belief, there is plenty of adult nightlife to be had; watch all the E! specials during the Sundance Film Fest and you'll see what I mean. [*]Stupid-easy access thanks to Delta's SLC hub [*]The tram at Snowbird [*]The tram at Snowbird [*]The tram at Snowbird [*]Did I mention the tram at Snowbird? [/list] Seriously, only Colorado can touch the skiing/boarding to be had in Utah. Tahoe snow sucks in comparison. Between Park City and the SLC canyons, you've got easy access to 7 different resorts, several of which are truly world-class, whether you're talking vertical drop, terrain, food, access to backcountry powder, whatever. It's all there. I know many skiers who've never bothered going anywhere else but Alta and Snowbird, because they just don't have to; it simply doesn't get any better than those two...anywhere. From Park City's Jupiter Bowl to The Cirque at Snowbird (absolute bliss on a snowboard, when the powder's fresh and deep) for the die-hards, to the gentle rolling slopes at Brighton for the not-so-fearless, what you want in a ski trip is there!

Aloft...you sold me. I would love to go to SLC for some skiing....But all my money is spoken for.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
two big screens etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sniff sniff* I smell crazy 8-way Halo action!

[/ QUOTE ]

HALO?! HALO?! I've got a case of beer that says I win . . .
grin.gif
And forget 8-way. Let's get 16 people running through Blood Gulch or Rat Race!

As for the skiing, I'm up for SLC or Tahoe. Both are pretty easy for me here in Fresno. I can make it anytime this winter except for Jan. 23 and 24. I'll be in the backcountry of Sequoia earning my turns.

Nothing like combining two of my favorite things . . . skiing and flying!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SLC is definitely the destination of choice for a number of reasons

[/ QUOTE ]
Pshah! Ski Florida!!! There's some kickass hills in Zephyrhills!! The go all the way up to 10-15 Ft. MSL!!
grin.gif

Okay.. I'm done.
wink.gif

It is sounding like Utah is becoming the preferred choice here ... I'd love to do it. SLC is pretty easy to fly in to, both in # of flights (Thanks DAL!) and relatively low cost (Thanks SWA!), and the snow is pretty good from what I hear.

I did Big Sky a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I will agree that access is difficult ... Bozeman is the nearest airport, but still about an hour's drive, and the airfare to Bozeman is pretty steep.

If airfare is reasonable (and to SLC it should be) then I think most of the east-coasters would probably be OK with a "Ski Utah" JC Crawl this winter. Anybody want to suggest some dates??

FL270

Heya,

Here are the dates I'm avalible...

February 27th through March 7th. That's my spring break. I might be able to get out of here for a random weekend sometime though, I'd just have to work it out far enough in advance.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

my best time would be feb 20-29 (its a leap year) the week before john, cause that's *MY* spring break
wink.gif

I would definatly be all about going to SLC I've skied there plenty of times and loved it.

I am pretty sure that they left all the routes and jumps and stuff from the olympics too, and are for public use now.

Back