JC Cyclists.

Actually contrary to popular belief soft seats don't really help. If problems persist after a few weeks of riding head to your local bike shop and see if you can get fitted for a saddle (they measure your sit bones by sitting on a bean bag thing) and can recommend a saddle. Also some padded bike shorts/liners will help too that's the part you want padded not the seat itself.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, bike fit. If you haven't yet get a fit done or read up on how your bike should fit. Small adjustments here and there can make a big difference.

Give it a few rides to settle in though, it takes me about two weeks of consistent riding each spring to work everything out to feel comfy again.
That's good to know! Thank you. I will give it a couple weeks and see how I feel, and I might have to look into some of these tricks. Especially getting the fit of the bike just right.

AF8F7BD5-5563-4FB1-8A56-16B66A5709A1.jpeg

Started with just the bones
27C0D151-8837-4EAC-A9AA-4173211B3AB1.jpeg

Bottom bracket and crankset in
C5430E1A-7257-4846-A240-A5F2D9AB8944.jpeg

ridiculous overkill cassette
6D869212-6789-49F8-A9FE-831220CD740B.jpeg

had to wrap it at this point, need a couple bits and the local shops are closed on Sunday plus the kids were getting hungry and whiney.

Should probably go for new brake levers too at some point, they’re the only original parts other than frame, handlebars, and seat post.

Haha. There's definitely some truth to that. I might need a soft seat for my break-in period.

No questions asked 30 day return. I bet most don't get returned. I have bought like 6 of these over the years. They're fantastic, especially the latest generation.

Finally done. All new 1x12 groupset, all new cables and sheaths and new brake levers. I did go with a bigger aftermarket chainring since it’s a daily commuter bike. Also did my annual wheel bearing service. Now I’ve got to figure out what to do for a rack-the one I’ve had on there for years doesn’t fit properly at all and it’s always bugged me. Rides nice, I don’t think I’ll miss the front derailleur at all. And yes, I fully realize that with the money I’ve put into parts and the time investment I’ve made over the years I could have bought a pretty decent new commuter bike. I don’t really know why I do it.
50A7C8A6-B25C-461C-8500-4851DCB274A8.jpeg

Finally done. All new 1x12 groupset, all new cables and sheaths and new brake levers. I did go with a bigger aftermarket chainring since it’s a daily commuter bike. Also did my annual wheel bearing service. Now I’ve got to figure out what to do for a rack-the one I’ve had on there for years doesn’t fit properly at all and it’s always bugged me. Rides nice, I don’t think I’ll miss the front derailleur at all. And yes, I fully realize that with the money I’ve put into parts and the time investment I’ve made over the years I could have bought a pretty decent new commuter bike. I don’t really know why I do it.View attachment 59069
Not to mention a new school fancy commuter is probably more likely to attract attention to bike thieves. Nice rebuild!

Not to mention a new school fancy commuter is probably more likely to attract attention to bike thieves. Nice rebuild!
Thanks! If I’m being honest a big part of it is I’m a tinkerer at heart and I get more enjoyment out of putting this together than I would buying something off the shelf. Looking around the ‘gram there’s a lot of these older Gary Fishers running around transformed into everything from more-modern mountain bikes to single-speed commuters.

Found a rack that fits at the LBS. I was a little worried because with the old frame and disc conversion things are a little crowded back there.
4138F434-6A2B-4EF5-9E2C-072079954802.jpeg

Anybody got recommendations for padded bike shorts?

I was eyeing these

I have that exact pair. I like the shorts. However, the padded liner is meh, but it's also removable so you can wear whatever you like underneath. There's nothing particularly wrong with the liner, just that I have better than these. Overall I'm pleased with the shorts and would recommend.

I have that exact pair. I like the shorts. However, the padded liner is meh, but it's also removable so you can wear whatever you like underneath. There's nothing particularly wrong with the liner, just that I have better than these. Overall I'm pleased with the shorts and would recommend.
Thanks! Hard to beat for the price, so might give them a shot.

Back