It's official: Virgin America to merge with Alaska Airlines

Reportedly a $4 billion buy-out. I hate to see SFO lose its local airline, but maybe the combined product will be even better than what Virgin America offers now. It will be very interesting to see how Horizon and the other regionals under Alaska go head to head with United Express out of SFO. Perhaps it'll be like the 60-90s where multiple carriers went head to head on routes like SFO-STS/MRY/MOD/FAT ect.

http://flyingbettertogether.com/

@mshunter Sure it does. According to the article it gives them a revenue boost.

Alaska said it expects the deal, which is expected to close by Jan. 1, 2017, to boost its annual revenue by 27% and to add to its earnings in the first year.

Kinda Sad, Never flew on VA, I kinda want to book a flight to experience the product before its gone.

At least maybe their pilots will wear ties now. When I see a VA pilot I just want to hand them my bags for S&Gs.

http://flyingbettertogether.com

image.jpg

JetBlue pilot group dodged a bullet. They can grow organically now.

Time will tell. If this merger is approved, JetBlue is surpassed and the new Alaska is #5 in the nation.

DL, AA, UA, SW all have already had mergers and control 80% of traffic. Safe to assume no more DOT / DOJ approval for any more mergers here?

That leaves 7 main major airlines:

Alaska, Hawaii, JetBlue, Virgin, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant.

Alaska/Virgin
Spirit/Frontier - probably next

That leaves JetBlue either by itself or forced with Hawaiian.

@mshunter Sure it does. According to the article it gives them a revenue boost.

What are they going to do with all them Buses though? If they do the same thing SW did, they'll have to f-word a bunch of guys until they get more Boeing's on property, or keep operating the -320's.

From a single type airline, unless that changes, this just doesn't make sense. I was also really pulling for jetBlue. I want them to be the next big airline in the US. I know enough people over there that if they are all as good as them, they really deserve to be the next big player. IMO, their people offer a superior product than all three of the top players currently in the US. Their only limiting factor right now is simply their size/foot print. And this would have been a huge boost for that.

Back