It's official: Virgin America to merge with Alaska Airlines

What does that have to do with acquiring Virgin America?

You need a company to actually operate two carriers as a single carrier in order to be successful with a single carrier petition. If AAG keeps the hiring, training and branding separate, and then codeshares the hell out of the routes, you'd never have a chance filing a SCP.

VX has no scope protection yet and Alaska has none to begin with.

Whipsaw city.

I can't believe I unhid your posts long enough to actually reply, but I'm referring to multiple posts like this one:

Why so angry?

Which seem to be abundant any time the subject of AS scope and merger language comes up, from people who actually work there. Or do you just not pay attention to those threads because AS is just a little upstart and needs to be put in their place for being impertinent to Delta? Or maybe they're just inferior people and pilots because they don't fly international and clearly don't know anything about challenging terrain or weather ops?

Once again, why so angry. I have the most respect for the Pilots of Alaska and have some very good friends there.

I don't know the Alaska Airlines scope protections if they buy another airline such as Virgin. Do you? Also look what happened when Alaska purchased Jet America Airlines. They were quickly merged together as one. Even if Section 1 doesn't buy any protection if they purchase another airline, it will not be a hard case in front of the NMB for a single carrier certificate, in my opinion.

A LOT. Scope is not just to do with RJs. It covers merger/purchase/buyout/etc protections. Alaska Air Group could whipsaw Alaska/Virgin legally.

In Section 1, what is the language for purchasing another airline? I would hope after the Jet America purchase the language was solidified to say that if you buy another operating certificate it would be merged as one.

Single-carrier filing petition

You need a company to actually operate two carriers as a single carrier in order to be successful with a single carrier petition. If AAG keeps the hiring, training and branding separate, and then codeshares the hell out of the routes, you'd never have a chance filing a SCP.

VX has no scope protection yet and Alaska has none to begin with.

Whipsaw city.

First, do you know what the language says if they buy another air carrier certificate? It may not prevent them from starting a wholly owned, but if they enter a transaction for another air carrier certificate does the language cover that?

The efficiencies of a merger are lost though by keeping everything separate.

Like it or not more consolidation means more stability long term.

Yeah, I know, and you're right.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea of a merger, but the timing isn't awesome. I happen to have some skin in the game of Alaska's new hire classes at the moment. It would be nice to have a spot on the list when an SLI occurs...

Here's Alaska section 1 scope of the contract. Publicly available pdf file, so I would think the following copy paste are okay:

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

Untitled5.png

I'm in the pool, so theoretically soon...

I sure hope so, thanks for the vote of confidence!

I agree with Seggy. Something drastic wouldn't happen that soon. If you're in pool at Alaska, and classes are ongoing, you'll get one. Now IF Monday is the day the acquisition is announced and (most likely) an integration is sought including the pilot groups, then Monday becomes the day of the snapshot and historically speaking going forward from that date, the pilots would be considered post merger newhires and added to the list in DOH order starting after April 4. Again, assuming Monday is the announcement and assuming the operation is integrated and pilot groups merged.

I agree with Seggy. Something drastic wouldn't happen that soon. If you're in pool at Alaska, and classes are ongoing, you'll get one. Now IF Monday is the day the acquisition is announced and (most likely) an integration is sought including the pilot groups, then Monday becomes the day of the snapshot and historically speaking going forward from that date, the pilots would be considered post merger newhires and added to the list in DOH order starting after April 4. Again, assuming Monday is the announcement and assuming the operation is integrated and pilot groups merged.

The US/American merger was announced early in the year. Snapshot date was December.

Back