It’s Not Worth Showing Off

You're right. Other than you I don't know anyone who is involved in an arranged marriage. I can comment from some of the things I've seen on TV and read but I won't. Why do you suppose the majority of the Western World has decided to not follow that archaic practice? Women are property in this weird world you live in, you own your wife. She is the mother of your children and that's it. How can you assume what it means to actually love a woman for what she is as a person when the only woman, other than a relative, that you've ever known was basically a gift? I love women, you think they're property.

You are either a troll or truly ignorant. Can someone actually believe this garbage you wrote?

Why are you calling me out?

Well, I thought I explained it clearly(?): “First you admit not being educated on a topic, then you make multiple statements that prove it.”

I prefaced what I said by saying that neither he or I have any experience in each others lives. He thinks dating is dumb, I think the same about arranged marriages. How'd you meet your wife?

My sister introduced us and set up a double date.

I still introduce her as “my first wife” just to keep her on her toes.

I'm not sure I have a thing against arranged dating, as long as it's voluntary. Cuts out some of the drama and wasted money at various dinners/coffee places/bars doing that whole kabuki dance where everyone hides the worse part of themselves, only to have to get to know the real person 1-2 months in.

The pragmatist in me likes this option. Just skip to the middle. "Richman, this is Anna. She's not an axe muderer, the pink hair washes out, and in her spare time paints Warhammer 40k figurines. Anna, this is Richman, he is also not an axe muderer, pays his taxes early, and arranges his underwear drawer by the age of skivvies so as to equally distribute the wear."

I'm not sure what there is not to like about this plan.

I'm not sure I have a thing against arranged dating, as long as it's voluntary. Cuts out some of the drama and wasted money at various dinners/coffee places/bars doing that whole kabuki dance where everyone hides the worse part of themselves, only to have to get to know the real person 1-2 months in.

The pragmatist in me likes this option. Just skip to the middle. "Richman, this is Anna. She's not an axe muderer, the pink hair washes out, and in her spare time paints Warhammer 40k figurines. Anna, this is Richman, he is also not an axe muderer, pays his taxes early, and arranges his underwear drawer by the age of skivvies so as to equally distribute the wear."

I'm not sure what there is not to like about this plan.
Warhammer….that girl’s gonna paint you into the poor house, drop her like a hot rock!

Warhammer….that girl’s gonna paint you into the poor house, drop her like a hot rock!

No joke. As much as I hate to mix metaphors, I bought a few sets of Marines so they can be in perpetual, eternal combat with my Marauder and Hunchback on my bookshelf, and it set me back 140 clams. Sheesh. Coulda had several divisions of Centurions or Orions for that.

Well, I thought I explained it clearly(?): “First you admit not being educated on a topic, then you make multiple statements that prove it.”

My sister introduced us and set up a double date.

I still introduce her as “my first wife” just to keep her on her toes.
Were your parents involved and did any money change hands? I'm going to assume not, but this practice persists into the 21st century. Young females are treated as the property of their father and are treated as such, in the worst cases they're sold or if you want to get real dark they're rented out. A husband can do this with his wife, there's some sort of temporary divorce where a husband rents his wife or daughter to someone for the weekend, or decides to step out and get balls deep into some strange and it's all okay as long as the local elder says Allah blesses it. Sad part is pedophilia is rampant and this practice involves young children male and female. My parents met at a high school dance, I met my ex at a backyard BBQ that I was invited to by her sister. I'm sure you had a date or two (or ten) with (lot's of) other girls before your first date with your wife. @Cherokee_Cruiser never went through the nerves of even asking a girl out and being rejected, getting your hopes all worked up and then getting shot down was bad, getting the date you wanted and finding out you do not like that person was not as bad because it taught perspective. He's never even dipped a toe in those waters but he's willing to say it's all balderdash. I suppose that's true from his perspective, his wife is his property and the mother of his children. Wonder what he would do if his wife filed for divorce?

Were your parents involved and did any money change hands? I'm going to assume not, but this practice persists into the 21st century. Young females are treated as the property of their father and are treated as such, in the worst cases they're sold or if you want to get real dark they're rented out. A husband can do this with his wife, there's some sort of temporary divorce where a husband rents his wife or daughter to someone for the weekend, or decides to step out and get balls deep into some strange and it's all okay as long as the local elder says Allah blesses it. Sad part is pedophilia is rampant and this practice involves young children male and female. My parents met at a high school dance, I met my ex at a backyard BBQ that I was invited to by her sister. I'm sure you had a date or two (or ten) with (lot's of) other girls before your first date with your wife. @Cherokee_Cruiser never went through the nerves of even asking a girl out and being rejected, getting your hopes all worked up and then getting shot down was bad, getting the date you wanted and finding out you do not like that person was not as bad because it taught perspective. He's never even dipped a toe in those waters but he's willing to say it's all balderdash. I suppose that's true from his perspective, his wife is his property and the mother of his children. Wonder what he would do if his wife filed for divorce?
Well at least you’re consistently displaying your ignorance. Plays well with your blatant bigotry.

Again, behavior not congruent with @derg’s living room vibe. Any chance you’d like to change your game and become a helpful considerate member of this community?

I’m reminded of a post directed at you earlier this week:

Lemme drop this in the thread since I'm spending part of Christmas evening moderating adults.

Knot4u - I don't know what's going on in your world but clearly The Lavatory doesn't bring spark joy, but you're literally on the forum more than I am so clearly it's satisfying some need or filling some sort of hole in your world. But you're filling that void with negativity and you seem anywhere ranging from befuddled to bitter when it's reflected back upon you.

You're free to use The Lavatory for non-sequitur topics, but the moment you start running users off, well, we know how that story ended the last time we had a user run people off the forum.

The line is also when I get a tinge of anxiety about coming to my own community because I have to dig through the vitriol of the day before I even finish my morning coffee.

Think long and hard about your level and type of participation here on JC.

Young females are treated as the property of their father and are treated as such, in the worst cases they're sold or if you want to get real dark they're rented out. A husband can do this with his wife, there's some sort of temporary divorce where a husband rents his wife or daughter to someone for the weekend, or decides to step out and get balls deep into some strange and it's all okay as long as the local elder says Allah blesses it.

Now I’m convinced you’ve gotten your Islamic education from Fox and OAN. And since you claim not to be religious, I think you’re just putting a front. You are actually a feverish Christian man who is close to God and attends church a lot, and don’t take too well to other religions because of your own religious beliefs.

See how that works?

You are extremely ignorant when it comes to Islam. And your assumptions of my views are equally bad.

IMG_1837.gif

If only I could have rented my ex wife out vs divorce, I’d have to be pretty good at marketing though because the turnover would be high…

And that’s A joke everyone, shiillll

No joke. As much as I hate to mix metaphors, I bought a few sets of Marines so they can be in perpetual, eternal combat with my Marauder and Hunchback on my bookshelf, and it set me back 140 clams. Sheesh. Coulda had several divisions of Centurions or Orions for that.
I got an indomitus box super cheap and thought I was going to get into 40k. The only thing I wanted to add to round it out was one freaking box of marines. I picked that box up, walked around the store with it for a bit, then put it right back down on the shelf. Did this several times before i finally just said screw it and backed out and got some more Lance boxes instead.

On that note, I’ve got a solid cluster of clan mechs painted in like 5 different clan colors… jade falcons, wolfs, some blood spirits, and some cloud cobra. Been thinking of stripping them all and dressing them alike. Ghost bears maybe?

I got an indomitus box super cheap and thought I was going to get into 40k. The only thing I wanted to add to round it out was one freaking box of marines. I picked that box up, walked around the store with it for a bit, then put it right back down on the shelf. Did this several times before i finally just said screw it and backed out and got some more Lance boxes instead.

On that note, I’ve got a solid cluster of clan mechs painted in like 5 different clan colors… jade falcons, wolfs, some blood spirits, and some cloud cobra. Been thinking of stripping them all and dressing them alike. Ghost bears maybe?

I’m more eclectic. More like some Periphery Irregulars.

And maybe I’ll have an Urbie Derbie:

View: https://youtu.be/4v21vRfsUL8?si=OcWebpsfX5-YJ6v6

Now I’m convinced you’ve gotten your Islamic education from Fox and OAN. And since you claim not to be religious, I think you’re just putting a front. You are actually a feverish Christian man who is close to God and attends church a lot, and don’t take too well to other religions because of your own religious beliefs.

See how that works?

You are extremely ignorant when it comes to Islam. And your assumptions of my views are equally bad.
That's fine. Call me ignorant, I don't care. You know I don't dislike you, I admire what you've accomplished. But I will say you have no business commenting about dating and the highs or lows that go along with it. Simple question, is your wife the love of your life, and if you think she is how do you know? You've never ventured into the wild to find a mate, you had one handed to you and you accepted it because that's how it's always been done and it makes your family happy. Soulmate or roommate?

That's fine. Call me ignorant, I don't care. You know I don't dislike you, I admire what you've accomplished. But I will say you have no business commenting about dating and the highs or lows that go along with it.

Yes, I can comment on it, based on the comments I’ve heard from FOs and FAs I’ve flown with when they share their personal experiences. That is what I said in the first place. The general consensus seems to be that dating today is hard, harder than it used to be in the past.

Simple question, is your wife the love of your life, and if you think she is how do you know? You've never ventured into the wild to find a mate, you had one handed to you and you accepted it because that's how it's always been done and it makes your family happy. Soulmate or roommate?

Your question is dumb. No one can know if the person they chose was their soulmate, because they didn’t go through 3 billion women in the world, sample all, and decide this was the one. People meet those who are around them. Eg, you’ll date inside the LA crowd. The internet changed that, and people can now meet online almost anywhere. But even then they aren’t meeting hundreds and thousands of people.

You’ll never know if this person was your soulmate. It may feel like it, but technically speaking, you’ll never know if there was someone else out there who would have been a more perfect soulmate.

You make fun of our way, that’s fine. Divorces in this country are over 50% so let’s not pretend like your way is more successful. Frankly, I’d rather a family vouch for someone, and family is huge in our culture. it adds a layer to someone else’s name, background.

You were married right? But not anymore? Soulmate or roommate? How’d your fight of wading through the dating pool, going through multiple girls, finally finding one, settling down, but in the end it still broke up / ended, she’s gone, and you’re at square one?

Don’t tell me - it isn’t my business. Just making a point. Dating didn’t do jack for the divorce that was years later.

Back