It’s Not Worth Showing Off

Jetcareers is social media and @derg is an influencer, perhaps the original aviation influencer on the internet.

The question is, really, what turns someone who just wants to show people the cool thing they do into someone who prioritizes likes and subscribes above literally all else.

I would suggest that it's addictive personality behavior and the algorithm is the heroin.

Well I certainly hope Jetcareers reads like ‘If you want to do it, this is how’ instead of “Look at me, LOOK WHAT I DO! Watch me dance! [SELFIE][SELFIE][SELFIE]”

Well I certainly hope Jetcareers reads like ‘If you want to do it, this is how’ instead of “Look at me, LOOK WHAT I DO! Watch me dance! [SELFIE][SELFIE][SELFIE]”

I meant to include a "and pay it forward" in there but I was under sedation this morning and the butterflies haven't left my head yet.

There’s literally a library next to my hotel in Seoul, literally no one reading or in line to check-out library books. Long queues and stanchions set up for people to take turns holding a book and having their pictures taken by their assistants before the next influencer steps up for their shot.

The Library: Starfield Library
The hashtag: #starfieldlibrary on Instagram | Hashtags
1703814711804.gif

I still contend influencers have somewhat ruined the food/restaurant/bar scene. So many places are selling “flashy”, unoriginal, crap food to go in on people’s reels and selling it for way too much. The second I see a restaurant with a wall full of fake ivy and a stupid name/slogan in neon lights I know it’s too “instagrammy” and nope right out.
Same with nature or any kind of park too. Literally lines of people all so they can get their stupid pose in for their followers instead of just going out to enjoy the setting.

I came here to say this. I'm not here for your fruity pebble french toast, I'm here for a poached egg. Makes me nauseous each time I watch an influencer (or Yelper) destroy a restaurant because a dish doesn't have a 'good flavor profile.' Whatever that even means.

Last edited:
I came here to say this. I'm not here for your fruity pebble french toast, I'm here for a poached egg. Makes me nauseous each time I watch an influencer (or Yelper) destroy a restaurant because a dish doesn't have a 'good flavor profile.' Whatever that even means.

Or when they profess to be experts and mispronounce words.

”I love Japanese food and I discovered the very best place for YONKY-TOR-AH and tan-KAT-soo ramen”…

His Helo was blocked (Limiting Aircraft Data Displayed / LADD) but you can still view it coming into Miami Exec. 11 O'clock about 17:54Z (settings @ the bottom)
using The ADSB eschange Historical Data.

There’s literally a library next to my hotel in Seoul, literally no one reading or in line to check-out library books. Long queues and stanchions set up for people to take turns holding a book and having their pictures taken by their assistants before the next influencer steps up for their shot.

The Library: Starfield Library
The hashtag: #starfieldlibrary on Instagram | Hashtags
Many of us here will see the death of print books & magazines as a common item I suspect…Really it’s already happening of course, a lot of your more niche types of pubs are already getting hard to find in physical print. Newspapers are gaunt relics of what they once were. There are a couple of magazines I subscribe to that I fully expect to be totally digital by the end of the decade. I was at a bookstore today, there aren’t as many anymore; still lots of books, but fewer than years past…

Wasn‘t the future supposed to be cool? I’d heave Apple and Microsoft and everything they’ve ever done into Mt. Doom in exchange for Rosie the Robot folding my (radio edit) underwear…

Gen X, get off my lawn, etc….

Sorry thread drift…

His Helo was blocked (Limiting Aircraft Data Displayed / LADD) but you can still view it coming into Miami Exec. 11 O'clock about 17:54Z (settings @ the bottom)
using The ADSB eschange Historical Data.

Took about 20Min for the first Helo (Police) and a few minutes later another one landed at the site while other were orbiting. Lucky woman. The trouble seems to have started when he made a left turn to align with the TMB approach and pouff down he went ! very quick. Maybe some of our rotary guys can chime in and give us their opinion on the occurence. I remember watching the Hawaii Five-O Hughes helicopter in awe when I was much younger... :p

Took about 20Min for the first Helo (Police) and a few minutes later another one landed at the site while other were orbiting. Lucky woman. The trouble seems to have started when he made a left turn to align with the TMB approach and pouff down he went ! very quick. Maybe some of our rotary guys can chime in and give us their opinion on the occurence. I remember watching the Hawaii Five-O Hughes helicopter in awe when I was much younger... :p
The TR is missing, a witness stated that the helicopter was "spinning" so that could be one reason for the occurrence. Rotary maintenance is sacred and unforgiving.
That canal is quite deep ! completely submerging the craft, if it wasn't for the survivor that helo wouldn't have been found so quickly.
1703821698245.jpeg

The TR is missing, a witness stated that the helicopter was "spinning" so that could be one reason for the occurrence. Rotary maintenance is sacred and unforgiving.
That canal is quite deep ! completely submerging the craft, if it wasn't for the survivor that helo wouldn't have been found so quickly.
View attachment 75726

Can't speak to operating that helicopter and its characteristics, but a couple of mouse clicks and it appears that canal is around eight and a half feet deep, give or take a little for recent rainfall and whatever the management authority is doing with water levels. Not good for survivability and rescue operations.

Can't speak to operating that helicopter and its characteristics, but a couple of mouse clicks and it appears that canal is around eight and a half feet deep, give or take a little for recent rainfall and whatever the management authority is doing with water levels. Not good for survivability and rescue operations.
Furthermore, this frame is 37 years old ! This last owner apparently just acquired it in late April.
The maintenance on a 37 year old Helo must be quite demanding. @MikeD Where are you ? :D

Many of us here will see the death of print books & magazines as a common item I suspect…Really it’s already happening of course, a lot of your more niche types of pubs are already getting hard to find in physical print. Newspapers are gaunt relics of what they once were. There are a couple of magazines I subscribe to that I fully expect to be totally digital by the end of the decade. I was at a bookstore today, there aren’t as many anymore; still lots of books, but fewer than years past…

Wasn‘t the future supposed to be cool? I’d heave Apple and Microsoft and everything they’ve ever done into Mt. Doom in exchange for Rosie the Robot folding my (radio edit) underwear…

Gen X, get off my lawn, etc….

Sorry thread drift…

On the contrary, I hope I'm right about this but I've noticed a shift toward a balance, at least in the form of book stores.

For a while there amazon, B&N and Borders were massacreing the local book store.... but... today around me there are four or five well traveled book shops and a sense of community has grown up around them. Amazon is big but isnt even really a book store anymore, Borders is gone, B&N is still around but I can't remember the last time I've been there, but I visit my local book shop regularly.

In the magazine space I can tell you that I can never be bothered to read online magazines, but always read print versions when they come in... I think we may eventually find that balance, too, if a magazine survives.

Back