Is it too late?

Okie_Pilot

Pitts Builder
Hey gals and girls,

I hope it's not too late, but life slapped me in the face and asked "What are you doing? Why aren't you flying?" I also get sick to my stomach knowing that the age limit for the military is fast approaching and I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't at least try to pursue it. I'm not real happy with my current job or the future outlook that it currently has. I really want to get back into flying and the military route is my first pick.

If everything goes as planned, I'll have my Legal Studies degree finished next Spring in April. I'm working my butt off now to make sure that happens. However, I also turn 27 in March. I currently have my CPL with a little over 700 hours and my GPA should still be around 3.96. I also have 6 years prior enlisted service with the Air National Guard as an Aircraft Maintainer.

Is it too late?

I plan on studying for the AFOQT and TBAS this Fall. I'm currently off on bonding leave with my 1 week old newborn and I'll be off until December. All I'm doing now is enjoying time off, babysitting, and doing homework.

If I get the AFOQT and TBAS done and the first of the year rolls around can I submit packages before I have my degree? I ran across a document that is used in internships that you have the college notarize/seal stating that "this individual will graduate on X date with a degree in X". Will this suffice? Or do you have to have the degree before submitting applications? Do you think units will look at my age and disqualify me based on that alone?

I would like to go the Guard/AF Reserve route first. But I also haven't discounted going A.D. or even the rotor route. Literally at this point, I would probably take a job offer to fly a SkyHawk.

Let me know what you guys/gals think or suggest doing.

-Okie_Pilot

Apply to all the services flight programs that you haven't aged out of if you're serious about wanting to be a military Aviator. There are plenty of former ground guys doing military flying as contractors as well so that's another way to scratch the itch with a much larger pay check.

Will this suffice? Or do you have to have the degree before submitting applications? Do you think units will look at my age and disqualify me based on that alone?

You are not too late at all. I don't think this would be a waste of your time and the worst that could happen is that you say to yourself three years from now that you tried, but it wasn't in the cards. You won't be saying I wish I would have tried.

That document would suffice. We have dudes that interview without any documentation, usually graduation within two semesters is our cutoff. Having paper will show that you are serious and motivated.

You need to be submiting packages yesterday! Some units only have one board a year so you could be missing out as you read this. You might be able to get an age waiver, it is not unheard of especially for prior service but you better have a good reason why. Finding yourself on a year long trek of Europe would not be a good reason.... You are interviewing with people that have known they wanted to do this since they were 15, why should the board hire you since you just decided yesterday this was a good idea? (Not saying this is the case, just giving you an idea what they could be thinking). How do they know, that your motivation won't change while getting your asschewed in a debrief at UPT? Just some things you should be prepared to answer. It sounds like you were enlisted, and finished College ASAP with the hopes of applying for a pilot position, which is valid.

Being able to submit packages ASAP is crucial especially if you want to be picky on location or airframe. You should probably be considering a shotgun approach, applying to units nationwide vs specific units with your time constraints. I see you have ties to OK, atleast your screenname does, offhand I can think of tankers, F-16s, and RC-26s that are Guard in OK. The last being stood up recently who might be very interested in you.

You were a prior E, are you applying to that unit to fly? Does this unit know that? Most units want to take care of their own so you would have a leg up with that unit potentially. Also if you have any "ins" at your prior Guard unit try to see if they get you scheduled for a Flight Class 1 physical. This might not be possible since it sounds like you seperated but having a FC1 in your package would be very beneficial.

To the age question and interview board's judgement. Will they look at your age... yes. Will it dq you... No. As I said above be prepared to talk about why now?
Don't take, No you can't do that for an answer until you have have heard that multiple times. If there is a will there is a way.

Last thought if you have a specific unit that you are interested in, you need to be talking to them now and rushing that unit. Feel free to PM me with specifics, I was in your position only with Med questions not age.

Apply to all the services flight programs that you haven't aged out of if you're serious about wanting to be a military Aviator. There are plenty of former ground guys doing military flying as contractors as well so that's another way to scratch the itch with a much larger pay check.

Are you talking about ISR work with companies like Dynamic and the such?

That document would suffice. We have dudes that interview without any documentation, usually graduation within two semesters is our cutoff. Having paper will show that you are serious and motivated.

Wow. That's definitely nice to hear! I thought I'd probably have to wait until next April before I could apply. It looks like I need to order the AFOQT study guide and take those tests ASAP!

You need to be submiting packages yesterday! Some units only have one board a year so you could be missing out as you read this. You might be able to get an age waiver, it is not unheard of especially for prior service but you better have a good reason why. Finding yourself on a year long trek of Europe would not be a good reason.... You are interviewing with people that have known they wanted to do this since they were 15, why should the board hire you since you just decided yesterday this was a good idea? (Not saying this is the case, just giving you an idea what they could be thinking). How do they know, that your motivation won't change while getting your asschewed in a debrief at UPT? Just some things you should be prepared to answer. It sounds like you were enlisted, and finished College ASAP with the hopes of applying for a pilot position, which is valid.

Long story short. I enlisted in the Guard and was flying part time for a company here and doing airplane stuff full time and going to college also. I ended up getting my CPL and working on building a Mooney and Pitts during that process. I wanted to fly for the USMS or FBI or other law enforcement agency. I ended getting hired as a Police Officer and that's what I've done for the past 3+ years. Got on the Special Operations Team and got hooked for a bit. But since going to a long-range marksman school out in OKC earlier this year and watching the KC-135's fly over the range all day long, it literally made me sick to my stomach. As we were watching them fly over, I told my partner "I should be doing that, not this". And that has worn on me ever since. Add that to the overall negative view of law enforcement during this time and it really pushes one for a career change and to push me even more to follow the dream of flying for the military.

Being able to submit packages ASAP is crucial especially if you want to be picky on location or airframe. You should probably be considering a shotgun approach, applying to units nationwide vs specific units with your time constraints. I see you have ties to OK, atleast your screenname does, offhand I can think of tankers, F-16s, and RC-26s that are Guard in OK. The last being stood up recently who might be very interested in you.

You were a prior E, are you applying to that unit to fly? Does this unit know that? Most units want to take care of their own so you would have a leg up with that unit potentially. Also if you have any "ins" at your prior Guard unit try to see if they get you scheduled for a Flight Class 1 physical. This might not be possible since it sounds like you seperated but having a FC1 in your package would be very beneficial.

Last thought if you have a specific unit that you are interested in, you need to be talking to them now and rushing that unit. Feel free to PM me with specifics, I was in your position only with Med questions not age.

I figured I would go the shotgun approach route. I'm not real picky on airframes and really can't be at this point. I would go the heavy route before anything. They have the MC-12's out in OKC. I noticed those airframe positions have been open for awhile and they kind of appear to stay open. I believe they categorize it as "Special Operations Pilot". I've done a little research on the MC-12 and from what I could gather, and no offense to any MC-12 pilots, but from what I read on the web not a whole lot of pilots want to fly it. And I can see that maybe they have a tougher time recruiting for it than the F-16 and KC-135. But I also looked at this as my opportunity to fly. Especially if I make contact with the commander and reach out to them.

I left the F-16 unit as a Crew Chief. Honestly, I'm kind of torn on the F-16. I launched and recovered them for 6 years. Launch them out, go wait an hour, and recover them. When we would travel, I was always jealous of the C-130 and -135 Crew Chiefs that got to go with the plane. I know it's probably the best hour one can have in the F-16, but 1 hour sorties at a time vs flying cargo/fuel across the country and visiting different places seems to be more attractive to me. Will I pass it up? No, absolutely not.

Can you give me a brief on being a pilot in the Guard vs Reserve? The major differences, flying time, pay, etc. I know the Reserves are more like AD than the Guard. I loved how the Guard was when I left. Very laid back. However, I did notice that they were trying to get more like AD.

Thanks for the responses. It has definitely gave me hope and has made my week!

Back