Is a roll that big of a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holocene

If a flight school/club found out you rolled one of their airplanes, is it really that big of a deal?

...or would they be irate?

Depends,

My club threw me out because allegedly I used 1100 RPM to taxi a 172.....

What aircraft did you roll?? That's gotta be biggest factor if it's a Citabria then I wouldn't be too worried if it's like a Malibu then there might be problems.

I would be very concerned if one of our club members was that reckless with the aircraft I have partial ownership in.

A perfect 1G roll would be no big deal, in theory. It is however illegal and the people who normally do the rolls have no idea how to do a perfect 1G roll. They are normally young and low time pilots with a lot of arrogance. I know of a few kids who attempeted to do rolls at the college I flight instructed at. Most ended up letting the nose fall through when they were inverted and had to do a half loop out of it. That means they pulled around 3-4G's on the pull out. That is not good for a 30+ year old airplane. The biggest thing that pisses me off is that the airplane never pulls apart on the cowboys that roll it, it will fall apart on me the next time I am out doing 2G steep turns. Please don't roll any non-aerobatic airplanes.

Alex.

:yeahthat:

When I was an instructor in South Carolina, one of the regular renters came in one day and started telling me about all the aerobatic maneuvers he had been doing in our 150. Hammerhead stalls, rolls and so on. I was so mad that not only did we revoke his renting privileges we also told him that he would be responsible for the bill that would be coming after our mechanic inspected the airplane.

I was just thinking to myself, how unfortunate it would of been when I was out doing stall practice or steep turns with my student and the wings folded up on me.

Yeah, it's an old farts club rather than a club for people to enjoy flying. Basically the Safety Officer would find anything wrong to get some money out of the members for a recheck.

At my flight school if you are a student you would get kicked out immediately! If you are an instructor you will get fired immediately!

"Is a roll that big of a deal?" Not if you know what you're doing its not, but most people have don't know what they are doing. Training airplanes are not designed to do these maneuvers.

My instructor showed me YEARS ago how to roll a Seminole back when I was young and dumb.

I'm as by the book as it comes in airplanes now. We had an instructor and two students die in an airplane last year because they thought they were invincible.

Getting kicked out of your school is the least of your worries. I would be more concerned with structural failure and falling thousands of feet to your death.

You're not in a Decathlon and you're defiantly not Bob Hoover.

You're dangerous Mav.

Echo the sentiments of everyone else. If you want acro, go find a plane and instruction that specialize.

If .... you rolled one of their airplanes, is it really that big of a deal?

Ask the airnet lear crew that rolled a learjet, and nearly snapped a wing off. They did break the spar, and the skin was the only thing holding the wing on.

Yes a lear 25 CAN be rolled with no damage. In fact there was an airshow act that did this routinely under a waiver. In fact under carefully controlled circumstances people do all sorts of crazy things that would normally be illeagal. However, unless you have been traiined as a test pilot, you have no buisness takeing a airplane past the conditions it was certified for.

I have a friend that got kicked out of a flight school, bc he filmed and put his rolls on his my space page. The PA44 aircraft he was doing this in had over 11,000+ hours. He did a lot of them, day, night filming only the wing. And he has a great video of him going under a bridge too. He is lucky, and so am I for maybe flying one of those airplanes after him. I am by the book, so no rolls for me. I wanted to do rolls, and I did in a PITTS- its designed to do them. My life is to important!!

Ask the airnet lear crew that rolled a learjet, and nearly snapped a wing off. They did break the spar, and the skin was the only thing holding the wing on.

Yes a lear 25 CAN be rolled with no damage. In fact there was an airshow act that did this routinely under a waiver. In fact under carefully controlled circumstances people do all sorts of crazy things that would normally be illeagal. However, unless you have been traiined as a test pilot, you have no buisness takeing a airplane past the conditions it was certified for.

It was really awesome watching Bob Hoover with the Shike or Sabreliner or Bobby Younkin (RIP) in the Lear or Beech 18. As you alluded though, not many are Bob Hoover or Bobby Younkin. In the 80's there was a guy doing airshows in a Partnevia P-68 (fixed gear twin). He was doing a show in east Texas and the wings folded up on him - video may be available on Youtube. This guy was a professional airshow pilot and STILL folded the wings in a plane. I would be hesitant Holocene.

Leave the aerobatics for planes that are certified for it. We had several instances at a club I used to work at. One was an Archer that had been rolled numerous times. The battery was not secured for such things and had moved around, spilling acid into the plane and causing obvious damage. Another was a 310 that had been rolled from time to time. It developed wrinkles in the skin aft of the cabin. You can find NTSB reports of fatal accidents in GA airplanes were people were doing aerobatics that they thought were putting benign forces on the airframe. Worse case someone gets killed. . . At best it is irresponsible and can cause financial problems for someone down the road. Metal airframes have memory, someones harmless aerobatics today might cost lots of money to you, an FBO or club in the future.

It was really awesome watching Bob Hoover with the Shike or Sabreliner or Bobby Younkin (RIP) in the Lear or Beech 18. As you alluded though, not many are Bob Hoover or Bobby Younkin. In the 80's there was a guy doing airshows in a Partnevia P-68 (fixed gear twin). He was doing a show in east Texas and the wings folded up on him - video may be available on Youtube. This guy was a professional airshow pilot and STILL folded the wings in a plane. I would be hesitant Holocene.

I believe this is the one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wY3Sb-C1BE

You are erroneously correlating simple discussions with actual behavior.

Being a "good" pilot is about 80% judgment and 20% skill. By even bringing up some of these topics (which many people would deem common sense) in a question format you are severely handicapping your judgment quotient.

um, prove I've ever smoked pot or rolled an airplane.

You are erroneously correlating simple discussions with actual behavior.

And Ill start a thread about smoking meth and flying.

I dont smoke meth but I just want to know why you cant do it and be a pilot? :crazy:

Being a "good" pilot is about 80% judgment and 20% skill. By even bringing up some of these topics (which many people would deem common sense) in a question format you are severely handicapping your judgment quotient.

I tend to disagree on this, we talk a lot about busting mins and other illegal and potentially illegal actions on this page why not discuss what happens when perform aerobatics in a non-aerobatic aircraft, or how marijuana effects safe flight operations.

Look, everybody has had their desire to roll a 150, 172, 206 etc. that doesn't mean you act on it. Hell, I'm too chicken to. But look, its something that happens every day. If you want to do it, pay the extra $100 and do it in a citabria with somebody who knows how to do it, rather than trying to figure it out yourself. Most of the time when you're learning, you get about half way through the roll then don't know what to do with yourself and end up pulling about 2-4.5 gs on the half loop recovery. You probably wont fold the wings this time, but you may fold the wings for the next pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back