Is a roll that big of a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Ill start a thread about smoking meth and flying.

I dont smoke meth but I just want to know why you cant do it and be a pilot? :crazy:

There's nothing wrong with a discussion.

Fact is, it's pretty well established that cannabis consumption induces no greater percievable physiological effects than does alcohol consumption. Yet, so long as the plant is illegal, people will often mistakenly assume its consumption to be exteremely hazardous, and indicative of "reckless behavior".

As for why you cannot consume the substance as a pilot, that is simply because it is illegal...even though there is a wealth of evidence to suggest that it's effects are no more worse than alcohol; a legal substance.

Of course it's common sense that illegal activities are not conducive to obtaining or holding a career as a professional pilot, but simply discussing some of these issues is, in my opinion, not intrinsically wrong.

Also, anyone claiming a roll is "illegal" has obviously not educated themselves on the FAR's.

Go ahead, show me where in the FAR's a roll is illegal.

Also, anyone claiming a roll is "illegal" has obviously not educated themselves on the FAR's.

91.13 dude.

Unless the airplane is approved for aerobatics. Like someone else said the airplane might not break up in flight while you are pretending you're Bob Hoover, but maybe the next time someone tries a steep turn or lazy eight..

If I ever catch anyone doing it in one of my planes I'll straight up call the FAA on them.

Educate yourself

Your AFM/POH; catagory of certification, normal/utility catagory.

Placard on the pannel; The following areobatic mauvers are aproved in this airplane.

Pt 91; areobatic flight, manuvers exceeding 60deg bank require a parachute

Pt 91 careless and reckless

My father in law took an aerobatics course and can correctly do rolls. He doesn't know his exact hours anymore but is over 25,000 TT and just keeps a log of the planes, if the plane flies he is flying it as PIC. He is 55 and has flown since he was 15. He has 18 years of flying for the same family and if they fly, he is flying the plane. He is an extremely proficient pilot and knows his stuff. He did all his aerobatic training in an Extra 300 with a proficient instructor.

He recently finished his taildragger RV-7 and he did the rolls and such in it so it would be rated for the aerobatics. He was out flying with one of the plane partners one day. He did a couple rolls and was showing the partner all the things the plane can do. He NEVER thought that the partner with under 1000 TT would try the same manuevers on his own.

The next time he got into the plane he found that it had done 4G's because the GPS records it. When he talked to the partner he said he had tried to do a roll like my father in law and wasn't able to do it. He ended up doing a split S. My father in law had shown him how to do the rolls and even let him try one or two while he was in the plane. The partner was stupid enough to try it without enough experience and almost lost complete control of the plane. The partner even says now that he never wants to be in that position again, he was afraid he might not make it out.

My father in law thought that his partner was old enough (in his 50's) and smart enough to not do it without more practice and really knowing how to do it. The next time my husband flew with his dad he asked him to do some rolls and my father in law refused. He is afraid that my husband and others will now try it.

Rolls are not things to mess around with! If you don't know what you are doing, you have a high chance of not walking away from the plane crash that can easily follow. If you are going to do rolls, be taught how to PROPERLY do the rolls and practice many hours with a certified aerobatics instructor and get the endorsement. It isn't worth playing with your passengers and your life for a few minutes of fun.

If you know what you are doing, the rolls can be fun and amazing. My husband has some film of when he and his dad were flying and doing aleron rolls before this happened. We have professional equipment and the footage was amazing. I will look for the footage and post it up here once I find it.

Edit: Wanted to add, the airplane is rated for rolls and aerobatics and they follow the FARs for banking over 60 and rolling. as well as making sure they are in a completely unpopulated area to try the manuevers. Please, I really don't want an unexperienced pilot doing rolls over my house...

91.13 dude.

Unless the airplane is approved for aerobatics.

Not quite.

All 91.13 says is:

"No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another".

So, if there's no passengers, and you're over a wilderness area, a roll would NOT be illegal, even according to 91.13.

Not quite.

All 91.13 says is:

"No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another".

So, if there's no passengers, and you're over a wilderness area, a roll would NOT be illegal, even according to 91.13.

Are you for real??

By your twisted logic...

Your life and maybe the next person flying the plane are in danger! Property?.....umm the aiplane maybe?

14 CFR 91.9 (a). Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may operate a civil aircraft without complying with the operating limitations specified in the approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual, markings, and placards, or as otherwise prescribed by the certificating authority of the country of registry.
Most of your airplanes will have a limitation in the POH or placarded in the airplane stating maneuvers that are approved (chandelles, spins, lazy 8s, etc). For your 172 or whatever, this does not typically include rolls. Therefore, by not obeying the manufacturer's limitations, you are breaking FARs.

As far as whether or not it's a big deal, I'll echo the thoughts of the others here-it CAN be done safely. HOWEVER most people who would try a roll in a non-aerobatic airplane can not do one correctly. Best case, they scare the bejabbers out of themselves and don't do it again. Worst case, they end up like these guys. Structural failure is a scary thing.

Dang, about 6 responses while I was typing this post. Y'all are fast.

Are you for real??

By your twisted logic...

Your life and maybe the next person flying the plane are in danger! Property?.....umm the aiplane maybe?

okay, I see this is a "catch all" type of FAR.

Are you putting others at risk by rolling the airplane? I guess that would depend on whether or not you impossed excessive G-loads on the airframe, no?

Again, operating limitations...

...they are there for a reason.

To keep people from dying.

Most likely you are are outside the limitations of the airplane which is illegal per 91.9

By your first post you are in a flight school/club plane. That is the property of another, hence illegal per 91.13. The FSDO here has prosecuted for endangering a rental plane for doing stupid #### (including rolls)

Absolutely false, UNLESS there are passengers.

Unless you are trying the 60 degree bank in a Cessna (not rated for that type of banking). Very few flight clubs own planes that are rated for these kinds of manuevers. The insurance and liability is too high!

Guess your mind is made up.

I just hope no one else is in the plane when it breaks up and you're falling to your death. It'll be a long ride.

Dont mean to sound harsh but like I said I lost an instructor and two student to this ########!

Guess your mind is made up.

I just hope no one else is in the plane when it breaks up and you're falling to your death. It'll be a long ride.

Dont mean to sound harsh but like I said I lost an instructor and two student to this ########!

Sorry to hear that ryanmickG.

And no, I'm not planning on doing any type of roll in the future.

Unless you are trying the 60 degree bank in a Cessna (not rated for that type of banking). Very few flight clubs own planes that are rated for these kinds of manuevers. The insurance and liability is too high!

A 172 can do 60 degree turns (2g)

The max flight load factors of a 172 are +3.8g -1.52g.

60 degree steep turns are a commercial PTS item

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back