If it sounds too good to be true...

cmill

Cold Ass Honky
First, I don't even know where to start.

With all the oil spill action going on, everyone is looking to make a quick buck, and lower down the ladder you have fresh pilots thinking they can build some quick time. This experience comes from the spill, but could apply to just about anything.

This guy, lets call him Bob calls us asking is he can base a few 172s at our base. We get to asking a few questions, and it turns out Bob is trying to get an operation going flying for disaster recovery. Bob will be charging 150 an hour for the 172's billing the parish/BP, and using "donated" time from fresh private pilots (talking 50 hours) to do the flying, who will be flying oil spotters. Bob will be leasing these planes from other people and has no insurance on them.

Obviously, we told him GTFO. Its illegal, and its also business that should be going to my company, who gives me a pay check for doing flights like that. AFAIK Bob is still pushing forward with his plans, and is trying to utilize a 1900ft grass strip, with the same free pvt pilots.

A message to you new guys, being ignorant of the rules is no excuse. Bob knows what hes trying to do is illegal, but is counting on the ignorance of fresh pilots eager for time to carry his operation. If anyone comes to you with a "free time building opportunity" start asking questions. Not only are you most likely taking money out of someone's paycheck, but you're liable to get your ass busted.

You'd be flying for at best a 134.5 operator, more likely a blatant illegal operation. Also, you would be held liable for taking compensation in the form of flight time. On top of that, you're paying less than the pro-rated share for the aircraft.

So, next time you see a great opportunity to get some free time, ask yourself "How? How exactly does this work?" The saddest part of this story is that Bob has no shortage of pilots lined up, just cant find any planes.

Those of you who know me, know im the last person thats going to rat anyone out, but when you start taking money out of my paycheck, and doing my job for free, well, a 90 day suspension will seem like a cakewalk compared to never getting a job in this state.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but this just really pissed me off today. Just take a step back and think about what you're signing up for.

I don't blame you, that pisses me off just reading that! :mad::mad::mad: Good God so many people do cheap crap under the cloak of a good deed! This guy needs to get beaten severely.

I don't blame you, that pisses me off just reading that! :mad::mad::mad: Good God so many people do cheap crap under the cloak of a good deed! This guy needs to get beaten severely.

You know the guy pisses me off, but the pilots who are willing to bust every reg in the book for free flight time, while taking money from me is what really caps my ass.

The disaster recovery is like a government response that gets done anyway. He's trying to make a quick buck out of it by undercutting everyone else with free pilots.

And ... herein lies the problem with FAA regs... the FAA is all to eager to bust the certificate carrying yet naive pilot... and at the same time willing to continue doing business with unscrupulous operators.

Pilots lose their careers, businesses keep on trucking.... something wrong with that.

Like the OP said - time builders.... WATCH OUT! It's a scary aviation world out there, and the only one there to protect your certificates is YOU!!!

If a company you work for violates a regulation and you're involved, you're busted. That's just the way it is...

Well, the guys doesn even have an operating certificate. We found out he set up an LLC for the purpose of leasing A/C for the operation. But in no way does he have a 135 cert.

I would be calling the FSDO and getting them his name. I would tell them as much as you know. With the private pilots he's going to use, you could save someone's life.

I would be calling the FSDO and getting them his name. I would tell them as much as you know. With the private pilots he's going to use, you could save someone's life.

This is one of the FEW cases where I would call the FSDO on someone.

agreed. Think we're waiting for an actual flight to take place first.

Could be this guy is just going to bill BP for the A/C rental & flight time and not even bother with the actual flights.

Oh wait, he couldn't do that, it'd be illegal [/sarcasm]

I'm curious, what do you think is in it for "Bob"? There has to be some motive behind this. If you think his flights will be taking income away from you, I would call the FSDO.

I'm curious, what do you think is in it for "Bob"? There has to be some motive behind this. If you think his flights will be taking income away from you, I would call the FSDO.

Bob is a new pilot himself, so hes kinda figuring he could get some time out of it. Also, assuming he could lease a 172 for 40 an hour dry, then turn around and bill 150 an hour dry, and get all the gas paid for, and use free pilots, he'd make quite a bit a day flying 4-6 hours, which is what the plan is.

He would be taking income away from my company, which takes money away from me. We make a salary, but get paid extra anytime the company gets paid extra for things like this.

Bob is a new pilot himself, so hes kinda figuring he could get some time out of it. Also, assuming he could lease a 172 for 40 an hour dry, then turn around and bill 150 an hour dry, and get all the gas paid for, and use free pilots, he'd make quite a bit a day flying 4-6 hours, which is what the plan is.

He would be taking income away from my company, which takes money away from me. We make a salary, but get paid extra anytime the company gets paid extra for things like this.

I would contact the FSDO. Odds are that he's probably contacted other companies and they might not all say no. A friendly phone call from the FAA would probably scare him straight, even if they are just inquiring.

By working for the federal government, I can tell you that their reaction time will be slow to say the least.

Call now to get the process going.

Those of you who know me, know im the last person thats going to rat anyone out, but when you start taking money out of my paycheck, and doing my job for free, well, a 90 day suspension will seem like a cakewalk compared to never getting a job in this state.

That's not ratting someone out. That's protecting your livelihood, your occupation, and your fellow pilots who're on the straight and narrow. If someone's brazenly breaking the law and hurting others for their own selfish gain, they deserve what's coming to them. "Bob" clearly doesn't give a damn about you, after all.

Make the call.

It sounds like a pretty solid reason to call the FSDO to me. I'm jumping through the hoops and paying my dues like I feel I should be. We all worked hard to get where we are and I think a lot of us are aspiring to be more. If it were me, even though it would only be potential income and not direct, I'm pretty sure I'd be seeing daggers if someone came in and took those flights for free.

Yeah I wouldn't be one to rat people out... but a 172 over water with 60 hour ppl? Someone is going to die. This is more about safety than anything.

Seems to me that lost in all of the protectionism (which I agree with by the way), is the fact that this BP spill has created some opportunities. cmill, if this is work that your company does, why not add some resources (planes and pilots)? "Bob" must see opportunity. Get in there ahead of him with a legit 135 and give some deserving pilots, or you some more, work. A nicely worded letter to both BP and the FSDO about safety and pilots eeking out a living should have hiring eyes looking looking away from Bob and at your company. BP certainly wouldn't want a story about hiring unsafe operators and taking work away from legitimate ones playing on the media. Just my 0.02.

Back