I guess they weren't kidding about Israel and the iPad:

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
To employees of Southernjets Innanashnul:

Israel bans iPad, says devices will be confiscated at airport
April 20, 2010

If you’re traveling to Israel, don’t take your iPad. Israel has banned imports of Apple Inc.’s new iPad, saying the device’s wireless technology interferes with signals of other devices, news reports said.

The Ministry of Communications placed a ban on the devices this week, preventing anyone – even flight crews – from bringing iPads into Israel until officials certify that they comply with local transmitter standards.

Customs officials in Israel said they would confiscate the device at Ben-Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv, and the device will be held for a daily storage fee until owners depart the country or ship the gadgets back to the U.S. at their own expense, according to news sources.

“This device’s wireless strengths violate Israeli’s law and will overpower other wireless devices in Israel,” ministry spokesman Yechiel Shavi said in The Wall Street Journal.

Israel is the only country so far to officially ban iPad imports.

Some college here in the US blocked them from accessing their network for some similar sounding techno-mumbo-jumbo reason.

mshunter;1473741 [URL="javascript:void(1)" said:
FONcall_icon.png
[/URL]
Call with FONcall™
Connecting...

Connected!

Error: could not place call

bug?

]Everything apple does reminds me of something a spoiled rich kid does.

I agree, yet we all have iPods. What does it say about us...

I've been to TLV a few times and I don't remember them asking about electronic devices! Just a friendly "Shalom!" as I get my passport back on the way to the crew bus.

To employees of Southernjets Innanashnul:
You're a little late. ;)

Israel Gives Approval for iPad Imports

Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service
Apr 25, 2010 8:50 pm

• 33 Yes
  • 23 No
Recommends
Israel lifted a ban on imports of Apple's iPad on Sunday, saying the device conforms with local wireless standards, the government said.
Israel reportedly banned the iPad earlier this month because the device did not meet European Wi-Fi standards, although one Israeli legislator said the ban stemmed from concerns the device would interfere with wireless frequencies used by the military. While Israel blocked peop
190422-ipad_thumb_original.jpg
le from importing iPads, imports of the device were not banned by European countries.
On Sunday, Israel's Ministry of Communications said "intensive technical scrutiny" showed the iPad conformed with wireless standards after all.
"The scrutiny conducted by the Ministry technical team vis-à-vis Apple's team, international laboratory and European counterparts confirmed that the device which could be operated in various standards will be operated in Israel in accordance to the local standards," Yechiel Shabi, a spokesman for Israel's Ministry of Communications, said in an online statement.
Approval for iPad imports was given on Friday, with imports allowed starting Sunday, the statement said, noting one person was allowed to bring one device into the country.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/194954/israel_gives_approval_for_ipad_imports.html

Back