I found this a little sad...

I have heard this excuse before and I never really understood it. Maybe it is because I am learning at a controlled field so I am used to it. But, having a controller, I think, makes life easier. It lightens up your work load and allows you to just fly the airplane. You don't have to worry that some guy might enter your leg unannounced, unaware that you are there because he did not feel it necessary to monitor the frequency or over fly the field. (I know you do not actually need a radio at an uncontrolled field. But if you have one you might as well use it.)

I agree with you i don't understand it either but i'm mostly in class c airspace. myself.

this guy is SO lost i cant help but think maybe he's got a radio that is on the fritz... i mean his answers/statements rarely even match up with what ATC is asking of him except he gets lucky ONCE and hears atc asking him how does he hear (after several times of not answering at all)

doesnt sound that old or anything, im betting a crapped out radio is whats going on here.

The guy has been a pilot longer then I have been alive.

FAA Registry
Name Inquiry Results

*edit*

Hmmm. That does make me wonder if he did have a radio issue, one would figure he'd know his stuff with that experience level. That, or he only flies once a month and the skills have worn down over time.

Or is it possible someone else was flying that plane that day?

Also, anyone else kinda creeped out by how easy it is to dig up someone's info and have it be put online on a forum like this? It probably shouldn't shock me, but for some reason it seems unnerving to me right now...

Pray we all don't have a situation where we are the focus of a "WTF was he thinking" discussion.

I am glad that none of you that are critical of this older gentleman are planning on getting old. I had trouble understanding this controller myself. He sounded like he had a mouth full of mush to me. I land at a towered airport maybe two or three times a year, and I feel very uncomfortable because I am not used to the language and the rapid communication. I have about 2400 hours in my log book and feel confident in my flying, I just don't get to fly into class B much. I didn't learn a controlled field either. I am 73 year old. Bob

Seems like there was definately something else going on. Radio issues, some kind of distraction, something. Regardless, ATC reaction was unprofessional...An unsafe situation is not made safer by yelling or letting your frustration get the best of you.

I am glad that none of you that are critical of this older gentleman are planning on getting old. I had trouble understanding this controller myself. He sounded like he had a mouth full of mush to me. I land at a towered airport maybe two or three times a year, and I feel very uncomfortable because I am not used to the language and the rapid communication. I have about 2400 hours in my log book and feel confident in my flying, I just don't get to fly into class B much. I didn't learn a controlled field either. I am 73 year old. Bob
I generally have a problem with this attitude as well. While I understand pride, and often suffer from it, I also know my limits. When I find a weak skill I own it and attack it so I can keep that weak skill from coming just a plain old kill. At 30 years old I'm well aware of my own mortality and I know full well that while I'm at the top of my game now, it won't last. When I can't follow a simple instruction like "get off the runway now" I'll hang up the scarf. I won't be confusing the gas with the break in my lifetime.

How is this such a horrible event? I mean, the guy couldn't follow an ATC instruction, and he got the phone number and probably a 709 ride out of it so he gets his punishment, but how is sending an aircraft at a controlled field on a go around such a huge problem or safety issue? What if the guy really did have a collapsed gear or engine failure? All that would have happened was the controller would have sent that terribly difficult to maneuver Cessna (sarcasm) on a go around. Everybody at the field just got pissed because the flow got screwed up and showed how road rage can transfer into an airplane too. The cessna was out doing touch and goes anyway so he got to practice a go around, big deal. We pack planes in pretty tight at class D bowman here in Louisville and every now and again, somebody gets too close on final before the aircraft ahead of them has time to get off and we go around, simple, nobody gets pissed.

Number 2, dont be so critical on guys who learn at uncontrolled fields. It's the guys who learn at controlled fields who seem to have the more difficulty spotting traffic and entering traffic patterns correctly at uncontrolled fields that pose the bigger threat to safety in my opinion.

Looks like 77F is now for sale.

www.controller.com/listings/aircraf...610.htm?guid=654C1C4996FA455FBAC5840063201462

While it is obvious this pilot was having problems following ATC directions for reasons that are unknown to us, this unprofessional controller just made the situation worse, in my opinion. I fly into FRG fairly regularly and this particluar controller is a sarcastic, mean spirited jerk most of the time I have heard him. He talks extremely fast and has a very nasally voice and very poor diction that make it hard to understand what he is saying. When he starts yelling he just talks faster and that just makes any situation worse. I've heard this controller tell a woman pilot who had just cleared the runway and asked about FBO's, "I'm not here to give you therapy today lady." I've heard him tell another pilot who was obviously unfamilar with the airport and asked about fuel, "What do you want me to do about that, sir." These are typical comments for this particular controller. FRG has some great tower controllers but this guy ain't one of them. He needs to find another line of work.

The problem here is that pilots are creature of habit. They go about what they have done hundreds if not thousands of times before.

I can only speculate about this gentleman, but the situation sounds exactly like I've seen almost every day I pick up a banner at a controlled airport.
Tower tells the aircraft exiting the runway to keep going and proceed to the end before contacting ground. This is to get them out of the way of me picking up a banner. 9 out of 10 times the plane (mostly students) exit the runway sit there and to post landing checks (I assume) They are sitting there waiting for my hook to slice through the fuselage.

The controller ask's them several times to keep taxing. Elevating his voice to show the urgency.
Perfectly acceptable in my opinion. No different in this case.

I can only imagine the amount of years taken off controllers after dealing with people who have complete lack of situational awarness while in the control zone.

Actually, if you do not read whats put up on the screen and try to understand him, its very difficult. He does not speak very clearly. Its like he fails to emphasize on the important parts of the words so you can understand him. I can understand where you come from here, and I'm 20 years old and in my prime.

I think the worst part about this, radio problems or not, is the fact the pilot didn't EXIT the runway after landing. Who ever said you need to stop in the middle of the active and ask for permission to taxi off the runway onto a taxiway? That's something soooooo simple he should know as a pilot. No excuses.

You guys may not like the controller's "accent," but that's no excuse to the pilot's ignorance.

I agree with you on that point. Maybe that is why he put his aircraft up for sale. He realized he could no longer fit safely into the flying scene. There would be no good reason for not taxiing off of the active runway.

1. I haven't looked up FRG on a sectional yet, but from just listening, I don't think that this was Class B OR Class C airspace. I can only imagine somewhere like ORD or MDW granting a Cessna touch and goes between 737s. ;)

2. The pilot of 77F should have already known the answer to his question assuming he was still on the runway he landed on. He was never given a "Land and hold short of..." instruction by the ATC.

3. Seems to me that the controller waited WAY too long to give the go-around instruction to the Cessna. By the time he did, he sounded like he was in a dire emergency situation. The Cessna should also have made the decision as PIC and just told ATC he was doing a go around.

But I do agree with the controller and his "I'm giving you a phone number" decision. 77F said that he could read ATC loud and clear, but was not responding at all to ATC's questions or instructions. By the end of that whole transcript, I too was thinking that 77F was going to get a phone number to call.

My airport also has a couple of controllers whose patience is less than stellar, but you just deal with them and follow their instructions to the best of your ability. I would also offer up the opinion that just because you're in controlled airspace, that does NOT make it easier or reduce your workload. Often times, it increases it. Nearly every time I've gone up to do pattern work around DPA, I'll do landings on one runway for a couple of times, and then get shifted over to another runway because either the wind shifts or because of traffic conditions. When that happens, the workload definitely increases as I reposition myself into the traffic pattern of another runway. There have also been times when I'm downright surprised I didn't get told I would get a number to call. A week ago, I was told to make right traffic, and I ended up making left traffic. WHOOPS! Fortunately, my mistake only hurt my pride, but that was definitely not one of my finer days working with ATC. It happens. :eek:

It just definitely seems to me that there were all sorts of things that could have kept this situation from getting to the point it did, on 77F's part, on the controller's part, and on the Cessna's part. Glad it just didn't end in tragedy and a REAL dire emergency.

Back