Hurricane Hillary (CA, AZ, NV)

I was sitting in my plane at Chino, adding a checklist to my new GPS and I felt it.

Anybody thinking about an Avidyne slide in replacement for a Garmin 430 or 530? I just did one, cheap, fast and easy! As the aircraft owner I can legally do it myself. They even send the logbook entry.
Cheap? Aircraft Spruce says 14K or maybe I was looking at the wrong thing.

Cheap? Aircraft Spruce says 14K or maybe I was looking at the wrong thing.
Suspect you‘re looking at the same unit, but with everything including the tray.

The slide-in-replacement product is the GPS unit and keyboard, nothing more. The tray, VOR / ILS head doesn’t need to be changed. Cost me ~$11,500, bought it from an out of state dealer, no shop involved, no labor.

I ran their checklist capturing info from my GNS 430 before it was removed. Installed the IFD 440, transferred the info I had collected. Ready to fly, start to finish in 45 minutes. My GNS 430 was installed in 2004. I’ll sell it, but it owes my nothing.

I’m really impressed with the new GPS. It‘s talking to my iPad, portable Stratus, and the wireless network in my hangar. Annual Jeppesen NavData updates are only $160 a year.

ahaha you borrowed a fart
Agreed. When the Great Graupel Storm of 2022 rolled through I actually used 4WD in my neighborhood. I've also seen the NE buckle under temps we consider normal here. One thing I've never done at my house in SoCal is shovel snow, except for a rental up in the mountains. Do you know about mountains? So far this storm has been a nothing burger, I haven't witnessed a deluge yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.View attachment 73303
What's that cross up in the hills?

ahaha you borrowed a fart

What's that cross up in the hills?
It's a cross a local church put up on a hill. I like it. It's illuminated when it's dark. I've never heard anyone say anything about that church, they just quietly go about their business without any social media.

I think one of the talking heads on the news just referred to the homeless people as "sandbags". Fair enough.

This is probably accurate as in the last year I've seen 2 buddies go from right seat JSX for about 1 year to Hawaiian and United respectively with 0 TPIC and no previous turbine time (unless you count right seat Caravan time as turbine for one of them LOL) before JSX. And no college either, though the one who went to UA had worked there in airport roles in the past.
What a time indeed.

Btw do I know either one of the folks?

I feel like this isn’t THAT unusual for Vegas going into the fall/winter months.
God I hated being based there.

hah LAS is bumpy as s*** on arrival on a pretty normal day, I imagine anyone trying to go there today was in for a real bad time. You're right though, at least from my limited experience. The winds be cray all the time.

The mountain town of Seven Oaks was swept away by a flash flood landslide-type deal in the Santa Ana River I read on several weather pages, but no news story yet. The source is people monitoring emergency radio frequencies where it is claimed that the flood has swept away the bridge into town and a "significant" number of people are up in trees awaiting rescue. This is ongoing.

What a time indeed.

Btw do I know either one of the folks?
Maybe, if either of those sounds like the backgrounds of people you know and they're from the Bay Area, it is very likely haha. On the JSX note though, I forgot to mention those ducking upgrade told me that OAK captains (especially fresh ones) are being forced to fly out of Texas due to staffing for now with no end in sight at the moment. Last I heard, JSX is very short on CAs.

hah LAS is bumpy as s*** on arrival on a pretty normal day, I imagine anyone trying to go there today was in for a real bad time. You're right though, at least from my limited experience. The winds be cray all the time.
So far the worst turbulence I've ever felt was on the way to NJC some year in a 757 when we hit a bad downdraft on approach to LAS. Hail had turned the sky a very odd hue of color making it a bit eerie. The ramp was closed 2 hours for lightning on arrival and saw a Delta plane get struck on departure while we waited to be parked.

Last edited:
Agreed. When the Great Graupel Storm of 2022 rolled through I actually used 4WD in my neighborhood. I've also seen the NE buckle under temps we consider normal here. One thing I've never done at my house in SoCal is shovel snow, except for a rental up in the mountains. Do you know about mountains? So far this storm has been a nothing burger, I haven't witnessed a deluge yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.View attachment 73303

Nonetheless, all the screaming self-ascribed YouTube "Storm Chasers" were livestreaming today.

"Neat, looks like a rainy day in San Jose, why is he screaming?" :)

Those guys are the worst.

Nonetheless, all the screaming self-ascribed YouTube "Storm Chasers" were livestreaming today.

"Neat, looks like a rainy day in San Jose, why is he screaming?" :)

Those guys are the worst.
always the first to complain - where is mountain rescue, wheres my helicopter etc

Suspect you‘re looking at the same unit, but with everything including the tray.

The slide-in-replacement product is the GPS unit and keyboard, nothing more. The tray, VOR / ILS head doesn’t need to be changed. Cost me ~$11,500, bought it from an out of state dealer, no shop involved, no labor.

I ran their checklist capturing info from my GNS 430 before it was removed. Installed the IFD 440, transferred the info I had collected. Ready to fly, start to finish in 45 minutes. My GNS 430 was installed in 2004. I’ll sell it, but it owes my nothing.

I’m really impressed with the new GPS. It‘s talking to my iPad, portable Stratus, and the wireless network in my hangar. Annual Jeppesen NavData updates are only $160 a year.

The avionics guy I hired to help me with my panel refresh is an Avidyne dealer. If I'd been in the market for one of those (and there is reason, in hindsight, to think that I probably should have been) it would have been a pretty easy install.

That 430-replacement work that Avidyne did was an absolute stroke of genius. I didn't realize an owner could perform that swap, though, on a certified airplane - I thought it had to be done by an A/P. Their support is also supposed to be excellent; my one experience with calling Garmin tech support for something on my GNC355 was a pretty lousy experience.

Looks good. It’s the hard top. Maybe those are soft top issues?

nooooope, though I think they were MY21 issues. The hardtop leaks forced them to stop production several times and the delays were ridiculous, which is actually the reason I cancelled my Bronco order. I think the new supplier/new design hit in MY22. You're probably fine.

This whole "Hurricane Hits Los Angeles!" was nonsense, happily. I was on the phone with my mom yesterday explaining to her that she shouldn't worry much and I'd be okay, and then we had an earthquake in the middle of our conversation, I was completely unaware and I thought perhaps old age was finally catching up with her. Nope, she was on point about some shaking going on in Ojai, she lives in a suburb of Portland and I think she thought it must be the end of days and she was going lose her youngest son. Never felt the quake and it rained a bit. I know there's been some bad mudslides but despite the medias best fear mongering efforts this event was probably less damaging than the storms we had over our last winter. I don't produce much waste but I decided to not put out my trash can for pickup, I live on a hill and my curb sometimes turns into a river, I over reacted, it would've been fine. The glass top on my patio table is filthy, do any of you know of any resource willing to help rectify this abhorrent situation?

This whole "Hurricane Hits Los Angeles!" was nonsense, happily. I was on the phone with my mom yesterday explaining to her that she shouldn't worry much and I'd be okay, and then we had an earthquake in the middle of our conversation, I was completely unaware and I thought perhaps old age was finally catching up with her. Nope, she was on point about some shaking going on in Ojai, she lives in a suburb of Portland and I think she thought it must be the end of days and she was going lose her youngest son. Never felt the quake and it rained a bit. I know there's been some bad mudslides but despite the medias best fear mongering efforts this event was probably less damaging than the storms we had over our last winter. I don't produce much waste but I decided to not put out my trash can for pickup, I live on a hill and my curb sometimes turns into a river, I over reacted, it would've been fine. The glass top on my patio table is filthy, do any of you know of any resource willing to help rectify this abhorrent situation?

Those two statements contradict each other. Washed out roads, down trees, mudslides, PSP was reported to be isolated... Just because the impact to you was mild, it is premature to say it was hyped up for the rest of the 34,000sq mile region that is LA Metro.

Those two statements contradict each other. Washed out roads, down trees, mudslides, PSP was reported to be isolated... Just because the impact to you was mild, it is premature to say it was hyped up for the rest of the 34,000sq mile region that is LA Metro.
PSP is not LA, although it is Southern California. I live in LA proper, as in LAPD, LASD, LAFD and LADWP. Palm Springs and Cathedral City are in Riverside County, and the desert communities certainly have been impacted by that storm a lot more than LA. So you're wrong, there was no contradiction. It doesn't matter what I say, you're intolerant. You are the problem. I wish you nothing but the best moving forward.

Back