Hurricane Hillary (CA, AZ, NV)

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I'm headed to Vegas in the morning (Saturday) and supposed to come home on Sunday. I start a trip on Tuesday.

How bad do you weather wizards think things are going to get in the desert southwest?

I'm headed to Vegas in the morning (Saturday) and supposed to come home on Sunday. I start a trip on Tuesday.

How bad do you weather wizards think things are going to get in the desert southwest?

If you’re getting out Sunday morning it looks ok. I haven’t flown into Las Vegas in anything less than like 100mi visibility and a billion foot ceilings, but the potentially nasty combination of rain and wind isn’t forecast to get to CA until Sunday afternoon.

How saturated is the ground from all that flooding going on there back in … wow, March, probably no much relation today?

Going to Cabo tomorrow (TAF looks hurricaney) and overnight in Vegas. Then LAX on Sunday, right when Hillary hits LA.

Cabo winds look interesting tomorrow

piggers-pig.gif

Good luck! We're all counting on you.

I've flown through the tops of a tropical depression, that was recently a tropical storm, that had been a Cat 5 right before landfall. That had been the storm we were originally trying to evacuate the planes away from, a week earlier, ironically.

It actually was no big deal. I think we were on top in the low 40's, and it wasn't super intense below.

Heading to a buddy's 50th birthday party this time, but I'll definitely keep you in mind the next time I'm feeling like I need some debauchery and craps!

Well, just as I was about to climb on my JSX flight to Vegas, my flight home tomorrow cancelled. Apparently WN cancelled 50% of all flights out of LAS tomorrow, so I hopped in the car and went home. Oh well, maybe next time.

JSX terminal in DAL is pretty nice though!

Never thought I'd see the words "Tropical storm warning" and Point Mugu in the same context, but here we are. Was briefly concerned that any leftward jog might put the homestead in the crosshairs of some possibly nasty weather for which Camarillo isn't really built, but I don't see it happening now. Just gonna be a lot of rain up in the holler'. Pretty interesting to note this is the first time that the NHC have issued a TS warning for any part of the California coastline or Channel Islands. It's not the first hurricane remnant to chug through the area even in my living memory but it certainly is the most intense in living memory.

An aside...When @derg heard my very disappointed voice on Metro Tower a while back (a whole story!), it was as we were being sent into a tropical storm remnant. Dissipating remnants aren't terribly awful to slog through—they're just wet and windy, in my experience.

Back